Is it me...

DVS1

Or are headlights too frickin bright these days!!

It's getting to the point you can barely see when you have a stream of bright sparkly suv lights coming at you on a dark country road!

Thinking they have their full beam on you give them a Flash and then THEN go full beam and burn your retina's out your head!

I appreciate you need to seenwhere your going but these modern day lights can illuminate things for NASA's orbiting satellites!

OK, well this is topical.

'Modern' headlamps are too bright - I think this has finally been recognised by the industry.

About 20% (I counted them on the way home last night) drive around with their fog lights on - it was not foggy last night.
Great for them, shite for everyone else.

main-qimg-d5c272c0786db462778cb675df88a570.png

Finally, have you had an eye test recently?

If you are a certain age, then the early onset of cataracts is a possibility that needs to be excluded.

There are 'night-time' glasses available which can ameliorate glare.

I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks this.
I find cyclists the very worst, wizzing about with their strobe lights blinding everyone.
It’s helpful to people with poor eyesight but for normal people it’s a bloody dangerous nuisance !

That is exactly my train of thinking that pic!! Lol due an eye test in the next month so will check the Mk1 eyeball. The older cars lights are fine, its just these newer suv and latest/greatest lights that almost turn your side of the road like a black hole!

I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks this.
I find cyclists the very worst, wizzing about with their strobe lights blinding everyone.
It’s helpful to people with poor eyesight but for normal people it’s a bloody dangerous nuisance !
I understand they're vulnerable and want to be seen but by christ their strobes are surely dangerous to other drivers for dazzling effect! Imagine driving a go cart around a club in the 90s!! Same experience i bet!

Plus how often with new vehicles is one headlight not working? It seems to be the new norm to never replace defective bulbs, perhaps because the CAD guy designing the vehicle makes you take the engine out for a bulb change. The old sealed beam all the same shape round lamps lasted for years.

Your not alone. I find some types of lights just dazzle me. I am not alone even younger front seat passengers comment on it. Wearing varifocsls at night doesn't seem to help and single vision helps. Handy as I wear single vision to shoot at night. Eyes fine as tested earlier this year.
The lights on my partners new Audi Q2 are superb for driving but am sure on coming drivers don't appreciate them.
Mate also told me that newer cars have auto dip and they seem to react very late
You can turn the feature off if your aware.
Must agree on small windy lanes on coming cars in the dark are becoming seriously dangerous.
D

They are very bright and it doesnt help that a lot of roads haven't had the up keep they require.

If youre driving a familiar road it's not too bad but if you are on an unfamiliar road and there are no cats eyes left to guide you it can be dangerous when the ultra brights apporach you.

You cannot see until they pass.

I always dread the thought of a unlit cyclist appearing in front of me or a ped stepping out as the car opposite passes. You'd never see them.

I always thought it was illegal to have a flashing light front or rear on a bike, or at least it used to be!

**Edit - apparently legal since 2005, as long as they flash 60-240 times per minute! Annoying or what**

Remember being on Salisbury plain at night laying up & we thought a vehicle was coming towards us, nope 2 cyclists with a gazillion candle power lamps (not flashing) but riding beside each other for a night time chat. Soon crapped themselves when we appeared out the grass/woods!!

I always thought it was illegal to have a flashing light front or rear on a bike, or at least it used to be!

**Edit - apparently legal since 2005, as long as they flash 60-240 times per minute! Annoying or what**

Remember being on Salisbury plain at night laying up & we thought a vehicle was coming towards us, nope 2 cyclists with a gazillion candle power lamps (not flashing) but riding beside each other for a night time chat. Soon crapped themselves when we appeared out the grass/woods!!

Hmmm.
A lot of drivers are totally unaware of the funny little wheel thingie (paddle) on their lower dashboard which, as if by magic, adjusts the headlamp elevation. And therein I suspect lies a lot of the dazzling oncoming headlight problems.
🦊🦊

Mercedes & Audi HID Headlights are the worst for blinding oncoming traffic.
Being a wagon driver this time of year it's bloody dangerous for everyone apart from them.
Also lots of brain dead muppets driving with day running lights on in the dark but no rear lights on.
I've gave up flashing them as if your to thick to realise you haven't got your headlights on this time of year your beyond help🤡

I've recently spent small fortune on new glasses and have a pair specifically for night driving. Have they helped? Not one bit. It's even worse when there's standing water on the road, double hit.
Also, why do folks drive with the front fog lights on in perfect conditions?

Front fogs dont bother me as a lot of new cars have them as secondary driving lights, they also come on when turning to light in the direction theyre going.

You're not alone, modern LED lights are far too bright also seem to mask the light from oncoming headlights so full beam stays on too long (could also be combined with high beam assist as mentioned).

Both the cars I drive have auto dipping rear view mirrors in & I'm sure they don't work properly with modern headlights meaning you get blinded by the car behind too - I've resorted to raising the middle rear seat headrest to block the worst of it.

Sods feckin law says you meet these alien feckin beings on unlit winding roads, no cat’s eyes, simple rural roads and these feckin vehicles come into view in a flash on a bend or crest in the road with no chance of avoiding those feckin LED lights immediately my full beam and driving spots are deployed to try to combat the blinding feckin lights, what l really need is forward mounted shotguns regulated perfectly to take out the aliens !!

If you can’t beat them join them……well I feckin can’t my vehicle can’t take the LED’s so my dealership tell me……what a pity.

To the OP……No it’s not just you ……

This is only a 49 second clip, look at the last two clips, one a pedestrian appears from nowhere due to glare and the other meets an obstruction in the carriageway.

Back