Is it now an offence to feed wild boar in the FOD?

EMcC

Is a Bait Station classed as feeding them !!
If so, who is going to Police the Bait Station ? as has already been said Wild Boar can be very dangerous so nobody would be stupid enough to hang around an area that is likely to draw Wild Boar - are they !

liongeorge

Not a joke guys, had two pigs turn up at the bait station yesterday ( the uniformed stab vest variety!)after some busy bodies had checked it out. Then today another one taking photo's moving logs about taking evidence photos etc...... flipping nightmare. Have'nt they got anything better to do like catching criminals etc not a happy bunny at the mo.
Just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

artschool

Not a joke guys, had two pigs turn up at the bait station yesterday ( the uniformed stab vest variety!)after some busy bodies had checked it out. Then today another one taking photo's moving logs about taking evidence photos etc...... flipping nightmare. Have'nt they got anything better to do like catching criminals etc not a happy bunny at the mo.
LMAO.

beggers belief that they have time to investigate.

Essexsussex

Presumably you are just spring supplementing the deer populations feed? Those irritating pigs (hairy four legged variety) keep raiding it.

8x57

Distinguished Member
It makes sense to me to introduce this by-law on feeding the boar on public land over which the council have jurisdiction or control. Some of the visitors to the FOD have great difficulty reading the warning signs about the boar just don't realise the problems that they are causing when feeding the boar in the public areas and car parks.
Any by-law introduced shouldn't apply to private land so wouldn't affect bait stations set up for control purposes. After all surely if food is then less available to the boar in town then the bait stations will become more affective in keeping the boar out of towns and villages.

8x57

Distinguished Member
George which force area was that?
I understand that both forces are having a bit of a problem with wildlife crime and poaching in the area at the moment and are eager to speak to some people so I can understand them checking out any reports from the general public no matter how ill informed.

liongeorge

George which force area was that?
I understand that both forces are having a bit of a problem with wildlife crime and poaching in the area at the moment and are eager to speak to some people so I can understand them checking out any reports from the general public no matter how ill informed.
It should be Gloucestershire as the site is in Glocestershire but I guess could be Gwent as it's near Chepstow. I tried to get hold of someone on 101 half a dozen times only to be told the system had a problem before being cut off! God knows what happened to anyone yesterday who needed to report an actual crime.
8 x 57 Do you have a number I can get hold of someone in the police so that I can tell them to stop wasting thier time. So far as I know they have not tried to get hold of the land owner at all as I have been in touch with them. If they were worried about poaching surely the land owner should be the first person to speak to.
The whole thing is utterly bizzare.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Sorry George I don't have a number. I know exactly what you mean about 101 though on the couple of occasions that I have tried to use it in the past I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Incidentally Gwent, Gloucestershire and West Mercia constabularies tend to work much closer these days and its not uncommon to see officers cross county lines. In fact some of them don't even know in which constabulary area they are standing sometimes.

Last edited:

liongeorge

They could have been interfering with a Badger set, those two blokes in dark clothing, ?:D
This is the problem Finnbear I think they think it is a badger set that has been interfered with ....holes in the ground covered over with logs. I'm quite convinced they haven't a clue what they're looking at or if they don't they will make something up to fit thier assumptions.

finnbear270

This is the problem Finnbear I think they think it is a badger set that has been interfered with ....holes in the ground covered over with logs. I'm quite convinced they haven't a clue what they're looking at or if they don't they will make something up to fit thier assumptions.

One way to make sure a call gets through though

liongeorge

Right so here's the update..... Some busybodies stumbled on my feed station and kicked up to the police that it was a badger set that had been interfered with :cuckoo:. They went and had a look with two officers, they weren't sure what they were looking at despite a chap from Gloucestershire Wildlife trust telling them it was a feed station.

Next day or so wildlife officer turns up taking evidence and photos' etc.

Me trying to get hold of police to ask what they were up to and help to stop them wasting time, couldn't get hold of anyone even thier 101 number wasn't working. They had made no attempt to contact land owner at any time.

Eventually via 101 I got a call back from local bobby who had visitted site , he said he thought it was a feeding station but wasn't an expert and the original complainants were kicking up! So they had to get an "Expert" from English Nature to tell them 100% it wasn't a badger set. I did ask him why anyone would mess with a badger set by putting maize into it covering with logs with a high seat + trailcam overlooking it? (bearing in mind this is a badger cull area so why bother)

So another visit by police plus EN representative. I asked for an update but have heard nothing.

All this for a couple of holes in the ground with maize in!

One last twist to the tail is that shortly after speaking to the policeman he call me back to inform me that his collegue who polices the badger cull had heard that the anti's had got wind of this 'incident' and to expect a visitation. Brilliant! not. Needless to say there has been nothing untoward happened yet.

What a waste of time for all involved.