Is the 6.5x47 Lapua suitable for Boar?

2428 miles

Hi all,

I have been lucky enough to be invited driven Boar shooting.

My question to you is:

Is the 6.5x47 Lapua man enough for the job?

I have the perfect rifle and scope set up for it, but have my reservations on the calibre's capability on Wild Boar.

I will be using Hornady 129grain SST's.

Thoughts.....

Many thanks,
Miles

Hi all,

My question to you is:

I have the perfect rifle and scope set up for it, but have my reservations on the calibre's capability on Wild Boar.

Thoughts.....

Many thanks,
Miles

My mentor shoots Wild boor with a 243 (and yes its cleared on his cert)

Shot placement is the key of course.

I woldn't do it as I dont have his skill with a rifel.

I'd want a 308 for a greater margin of error

I have .243 cleared for boar, and have shot many with it, There is NO WAY I would shoot driven boar with it.

I would think that a 6.5x47 is a bit on the light side for driven boar, certainly if its your first trip. Any of the 30 cals or 30 cal magnums are more suitable. Having said that If you are handy with a shotgun and your host can supply you with slugs.... They are awesome at close range.

Regards

Ed

I've got AOLQ on the 6.5x55 which covers boar, and would be happy using my usual 140gr SSTs. You have plenty of oomph (technical term), so that coupled with the 129gr SSTs should be plenty into the engine room.

Let us know how you get on?

UPDATE: Apologies, I'd missed "driven"... Agree with others, I'd go .30cal on driven (would have to borrow one though)

Last edited:
I've got AOLQ on the 6.5x55 which covers boar, and would be happy using my usual 140gr SSTs. You have plenty of oomph (technical term), so that coupled with the 129gr SSTs should be plenty into the engine room.

Let us know how you get on?

Have you shot driven boar with your 6.5x55 ? If so how did you get on ?

Regards

Ed

Hi all,

My question to you is:

Thoughts.....

Many thanks,
Miles

Personally I would go bigger. The key word here being driven boar. I've shot boar with a 6.5 x 55 from night seats perfectly well, but when driven and allowing for adrenalin and shot placement I would go bigger. You also mention using the 129sst. I'd want a harder constructed bullet too.

Thanks for the advice Chaps.

I'm going to take the .30-06 and run some 180grain SST's through it.

I was hoping to avoid switching scopes round, but I have done it now and will get them re-zeroed tomorrow.

I went last year but borrowed a rifle (.300 Win Mag). It belonged to a giant of a man, weighed a ton and had 30 inch barrel, so not the quickest and easiest rifle to be swinging through galloping pigs with.

Can't wait to get out there.... One of the most enjoyable things I have ever done... highly recommend it to anyone even half thinking about going for a day on the driven Boar.

Best,
Miles

Why SST's out of interest?

given for their propensity to blow up more than a soft point I would not choose them for a notoriously thick skinned target with lots of solid boney bits moving at speed.
(They are designed to offer reliable expansion at lower impact velocities on antelope type game at ranges in excess of 300 yds)

any number of harder constructed traditional cup and core bullets better suited to thumping high velocity pigs

Why SST's out of interest?

given for their propensity to blow up more than a soft point I would not choose them for a notoriously thick skinned target with lots of solid boney bits moving at speed.
(They are designed to offer reliable expansion at lower impact velocities on antelope type game at ranges in excess of 300 yds)

any number of harder constructed traditional cup and core bullets better suited to thumping high velocity pigs
I agree, nosler partitions come to mind.
Tusker

With driven Boar you want slow and steady with good penetration. Very popular is .30-06 with 165g/180 grain partition or oryx bullet. To see what is best look at that choice of people who do it a lot.

.30-06 -9.3x74 with a good heavy bullet and I have actually found SST to be good.

Getting back to the OP, cartridge depends on where you are headed, some places stipulate 7mm minimum for boar - but even in such places I've rarely if ever seen anyone check.

I have used sst's since they came to market in the uk. .243, 6.5x47, 30-06 in multiple weights on Fox, Muntjac, Fallow Buck does and calf's, Red Stags, Calf's and Hinds, Woodland Red and they have performed flawlessly. They seem to expand on the thinnest of skin like a fox but also always punch through even on woodland reds.

I'm no expert and I don't work for Hornady. I make a considered decision and buy what I can get hold of and afford. (Nosler are twice the price) For me the SST has performed flawlessly with a variation of calibres and game. It seems to impart a great deal of its energy into the animal and I was thinking in its 180grain capacity from a .30-06 it will be easily sufficient to take a boar.

I did not think it necessary to use dangerous game solids.... Perhaps I should re appraise.

Have you shot driven boar with your 6.5x55 ? If so how did you get on ?

I have shot driven boar with 160gr and 140gr Woodleigh PP from 260Rem. No problems but on the light side like everybody's saying. I've also used at least 308 and 9.3x62 (and seen a lot of others being used) and cannot say that cartridge choice alone would make the difference.

I think the 180gr SST from 30-06 might be OK for driven hunt, fast expansion to give blood trail and enough shank to go through the beast (?)

Ask our continental cousins on this site who do it regularly

wildboar1974, Johner etc....
these guys are shooting boar regularly.

I got got invited last year by Wildboar1974. I used his wife's rifle 8x57 using 198gr ammo.

Since then ive put in a variation and got it for a 9.3x62 mauser. Which is being done at the moment. Probably will be using 270-285gr bullets.

Good luck.

Jon

yes 10 grams min for Europe, which as IFart correctly points out is 156 grainers (10.1grams), used in my 270 to good effect :eek:
I think RWS Have a 10gram 154grainer in there Eco/ green range, by all accounts a very good bullet

Last edited:
Back