Is there any other calibre that is so consistent for Rabbit control

Overlay

.22 LR must be the most iconic and probably the most fired round / calibre anywhere, the past few weeks I have been out rabbiting virtually every evening using the LR from 30 to 110 yds it is faultless as a rabbit round and I use CCI segmented rounds all the time, little higher FPS to some rounds but still fantastically accurate

This calibre is surely insurpassable as a perfect rabbit round! I used the 17 HMR for couple of years but the LR is still tops

Is there anything better. :eek:

No carcase damage to speak of.

​I aim about 4 feet in front of a running rabbit which falls into the bullet crater and breaks its neck.

My .223 consistently turned hedge hoppers into red mist...sniping bunnies with that was a whole lot of fun! :D

.22 LR must be the most iconic and probably the most fired round / calibre anywhere, the past few weeks I have been out rabbiting virtually every evening using the LR from 30 to 110 yds it is faultless as a rabbit round and I use CCI segmented rounds all the time, little higher FPS to some rounds but still fantastically accurate

This calibre is surely insurpassable as a perfect rabbit round! I used the 17 HMR for couple of years but the LR is still tops

Is there anything better. :eek:

I doubt it!

I too love the combination of .22LR and CCI segmented. :thumb:

Do the segmented rounds ricochet? If there is one thing I dislike about .22rf it is having bullets bouncing around the countryside in a totally random manner. atb Tim

Do the segmented rounds ricochet? If there is one thing I dislike about .22rf it is having bullets bouncing around the countryside in a totally random manner. atb Tim

Yes I agree, that's one reason I started sniping bunnies with the .223. Nice and safe...not for bunnies though!

​Always had a 22lr always will I guess.

Charadam. Perfic get dew ponds for frogs as we'll, how green is that. :D

I have had two ricochets from thousands of rounds spent on the segmented rounds one went into a bank and the other, a part of the round into a large tree in front of a high bank 6 feet away from the rabbit, they do break up, so I guess a bit is better than a full 40 grm round
I expect the higher FPS with segmented is the key to terminal energy displacement and bullet split, overall not a bad round

They are a cracking bunny bashing round, in the CZ or the Sako

Phil

Last edited:
​How can you see for all the smoke!?

Well, the .577/450 is a relatively slow round, so I put the rifle on the ground immediately my (principles of marksmanship) follow through is complete, note the direction the smoke cloud has drifted and run 25 yards the other way.

I am usually there in time to observe the bullet strike through my 4-draw, 1911 Scout Regiment telescope.

BTW, if a mercy shot is required, I always have my .577 Snider loaded and at half-cock. I think that this is the ethical solution.

Last edited:
Used .22LR for years, had a couple of ricochet's & started using .17HMR, never looked back. Don't know if it was just rumour but heard that some authorities preferred .17HMR as it disintegrates on impact with anything solid reducing the chance of richochet, despite its almost double range.

Im another HMR fan. Anything the 22 does the HMR does better in my opinion. The single benefit of .22 is the sound level when using subsonic. But then again I'd rather have the noise and the better round.....

Must agree with eley subs nothing to beat my annie up to about 120yds. However since i have had my .204 things have changed a little, last week off sticks was head shooting bunnies up to 190yds, 39 grn blitz king is just awesome, but absolutely no room for error, cannot post pictures but quite graphic.

D

100 yard bunnies my ass. Maybe the odd one but I refuse to believe that anyone can do that reliably especially at night and without a range finder.

17 hornet is the master rabbit cal.

Back