Is this the lowest venison prices ??

Turkish

Just got back from the game dealer.
Had already unloaded my carcasses onto the scales and seen them go into the back room. Went to pick my money up and..............50p /kilo.

50p !!!!

I know it's muntjac. But clean, chilled and tagged. 50 blooming pence a kilo !!!! Am I feeling ripped off.
Not worth putting the chiller on.........

Turkish

We are full. No room in the freezers, and my regular outlets are full as well. No space to keep the butchered meat, so the game dealer was the choice.
This was a surplus from doing someone a favour.

Kjm041

I know I paid £4 for a muntjac carcass with BASC at hockwold as it was seen as the going game dealer rate. Suspect that’s about 50p a kg

deerstalker.308

Is this at Bambridges? If so they’ve always as long as I can remember paid 50p/kg for munties, you get more for hares from them, but look at the amount of work relative to the gain they get from one, it’s understandable for probably 3kg of meat really.

annandale

Not related to muntjac, but a friend of mine is getting £1.80 kg for reds, while other parts of the country are getting up to £3 kg! Surely most of these are ending up in the same market so why the massive variation in price?

fallow me

Muntjac are worth far more than 50p a kilo, i sell to local eastern europeans , i can sell them all day long , £1 per ilb in old money, although the demand has slowed since we've had sheep disappearing and being illegally slaughtered in the fields around Northamptonshire, i do have cull numbers to achieve so have to shoot them regardless, but as VSS said ,only shoot them if you have a use for them

VSS

That’s okay if you are just doing it for a hobby.
Whether it's a hobby or not, there needs to be an outlet. Can't be allowed to go to waste. Better to sell for 50p/kg than bin it. Better still, find customers willing to pay a proper price before shooting the animal.

Farmer_J

If you’re on face book there’s a page called “giving up the game” loads of people are after game either for personal consumption or raw feed. From what I have seen venison does not hang around long before it is snapped up!

Dexter

If you’re on face book there’s a page called “giving up the game” loads of people are after game either for personal consumption or raw feed. From what I have seen venison does not hang around long before it is snapped up!

Giving it away to people who would have perhaps otherwise pay for it is absolutely disgraceful. Don't complain that Game Dealers are paying low prices when stalkers are undercutting them by giving their high quality produce away for free.
This is no different to people waning farmers to give away their 'imperfect' fruit and veg for knock down prices. It winds me up big time. Either pay the going rate or go without IMO.