Is this the lowest venison prices ??

Farmer_J

Majority aren’t giving up venison for free. Mainly rabbits or pigeon go for free, more often than not venison is going for above what dealer will pay.

Hudson12

Giving it away to people who would have perhaps otherwise pay for it is absolutely disgraceful. Don't complain that Game Dealers are paying low prices when stalkers are undercutting them by giving their high quality produce away for free.
This is no different to people waning farmers to give away their 'imperfect' fruit and veg for knock down prices. It winds me up big time. Either pay the going rate or go without IMO.
Folk will pay on this page and like already said stuff is gone fast off there

sir-lamp-alot

As already said there is very little on a muntjac so you never going to get a lot from one the saddle is tiny the front end has barely anything on it and the only real joints are the two back legs. Add to this the game dealer is only a middle man and the venison may exchange hands another couple of times before it gets to the end user with each person taking a cut, so you will never get a lot for what is a small hard to deal with animal.

kieran222

I got £10 for my last munty and thought that I would keep them in future. If you have a use for them they are worth a lot more than that but Game dealers just don't want Munties.

ChrisJB

I wish I were closer to you Turkish - my freezer bare. Anyone looking to sell in Surrey at that rate please bear me in mind

Dexter

Whether it's a hobby or not, there needs to be an outlet. Can't be allowed to go to waste. Better to sell for 50p/kg than bin it.
Sorry but they are an invasive species. They have to be shot. I would rather a fox or badger ate the carcass than it eat a ground nesting bird's eggs or fledglings.

minikeeper

Whether it's a hobby or not, there needs to be an outlet. Can't be allowed to go to waste. Better to sell for 50p/kg than bin it. Better still, find customers willing to pay a proper price before shooting the animal.
He had an outlet? The animal wasn’t wasted, he just didn’t get as much as he wanted for it?

VSS

He had an outlet? The animal wasn’t wasted, he just didn’t get as much as he wanted for it?
Yes I know, although he could of course have checked out prices first.
However, my post that you quoted wasn't really in response to the OP. It was more a response to the implication by others that only "hobby" stalkers would have the luxury of being able to sort out a buyer prior to shooting animals. Pro stalkers are clearly more concerned with killing deer than worrying about what happens to the carcasses.
I would be interested to know at what point stalking ceases to be a hobby, and one becomes a "professional"?
(According to Jimbo, you become a pro as soon as you pass your DSC1, but I'm not convinced about that :rofl:)

Dexter

However, my post that you quoted wasn't really in response to the OP. It was more a response to the implication by others that only "hobby" stalkers would have the luxury of being able to sort out a buyer prior to shooting animals. Pro stalkers are clearly more concerned with killing deer than worrying about what happens to the carcasses.
I would be interested to know at what point stalking ceases to be a hobby, and one becomes a "professional"?
(According to Jimbo, you become a pro as soon as you pass your DSC1, but I'm not convinced about that :rofl:)
As soon as someone is paying you to shoot on their land you're a professional. It really is that simple.
Jimbo's comment is a bit embarrassing TBH.

Last edited:

leec6.5

Just got back from the game dealer.
Had already unloaded my carcasses onto the scales and seen them go into the back room. Went to pick my money up and..............50p /kilo.

50p !!!!

I know it's muntjac. But clean, chilled and tagged. 50 blooming pence a kilo !!!! Am I feeling ripped off.
Not worth putting the chiller on.........

That’s been the going rate for muntjac and cwd for a long time!

Better off filling the freezer

VSS

As soon as someone is paying you to shoot on their land you're a professional. It really is that simple.
Oh crumbs, that makes me a professional then!?! :eek:
I'm just a novice, and certainly wouldn't rank myself as anything else alongside a lot of the experienced stalkers on here.
But, as I get paid by a forestry management company to stalk at least once a fortnight, and I get to keep / sell the carcasses, I guess that means I've lost my hobby!

riddick

sometimes it's neither hobby or profession, but simply put you don't kill it you don't eat. I am thankful It's no longer like that for me but there was a time, and to this day I have a certain amount of fonfness for that little deer as wurhout him I may have been even worse off.

now vss, you can agree with that or not as is your right, and I'll take either, but don't you go rippin my story apart and getting all deep an filly sofical on my ass,, ;) 'cos some cnut from dorset has already got my back up. :old:

Dexter

Oh crumbs, that makes me a professional then!?! :eek:
I'm just a novice, and certainly wouldn't rank myself as anything else alongside a lot of the experienced stalkers on here.
But, as I get paid by a forestry management company to stalk at least once a fortnight, and I get to keep / sell the carcasses, I guess that means I've lost my hobby!
Yep. That's about the long and short of it. Make sure that your shooting insurance covers you for being a professional too! The BDS one does whilst I suspect that many don't?

imnotrucknut

Now dont get him started again :lol:

VSS

sometimes it's neither hobby or profession, but simply put you don't kill it you don't eat. I am thankful It's no longer like that for me but there was a time, and to this day I have a certain amount of fonfness for that little deer as wurhout him I may have been even worse off.

now vss, you can agree with that or not as is your right, and I'll take either
Sounds like you and I sing from the same hymn sheet in a lot of respects.
(Granted not always in tune with one another, but the fundamentals remain the same).

minikeeper

At the point at wich you earn a living from shooting and/or stalking deer?

gummy_bear

Giving it away to people who would have perhaps otherwise pay for it is absolutely disgraceful. Don't complain that Game Dealers are paying low prices when stalkers are undercutting them by giving their high quality produce away for free.
This is no different to people waning farmers to give away their 'imperfect' fruit and veg for knock down prices. It winds me up big time. Either pay the going rate or go without IMO.
not sure if this approach it is a standard to all our home businesses :
extrapolated will sound like: ignore the low internet deals, buy only from you local shop/ do not buy second hands or recycle to keep the economy going
as far i know, a good part of the UK game products are exported to be sold in restaurants across Europe
it is more likely that the local "deals/freebies" to be low volume and target a different market sector with the benefit of getting a supporter rather an anti
I personally offer quite often game to friends and colleagues along with recipes ideas. Some of them never tried game before. Free advertising.
the jam will not taste different when using first class fruits. low quality products are still part of business strategy, there will always be a rich and a poor