Is this the lowest venison prices ??

Dexter

not sure if this approach it is a standard to all our home businesses :
extrapolated will sound like: ignore the low internet deals, buy only from you local shop/ do not buy second hands or recycle to keep the economy going
as far i know, a good part of the UK game products are exported to be sold in restaurants across Europe
it is more likely that the local "deals/freebies" to be low volume and target a different market sector with the benefit of getting a supporter rather an anti
I personally offer quite often game to friends and colleagues along with recipes ideas. Some of them never tried game before. Free advertising.
the jam will not taste different when using first class fruits. low quality products are still part of business strategy, there will always be a rich and a poor
I get that gummy but it would appear that that FB site is set up to get game for knock down prices. Now, I appreciate that the prices aren't on there and we all like a bargain. Nothing wrong with that. However, giving it away repeatedly to the same people shouldn't become normal. I too have given game and venison away to let people try it. If they like it they pay for it like everyone else. I have bills to pay too! My 4x4 doesn't run on fresh air!

leec6.5

I’ve given away i don’t know how many 100‘s of kg over the years, i only run in to the dealer any surplus red deer that I have no room in the freezer for.

But muntjac I give away all the time, or barter for favours, i would rather give it away than be paid 50p/kg for it.

Turkish

What a wide and diverse selection of opinions you all have !

Some of us do not have the luxury of deciding whether you will, or will not, pull the trigger at times.

Muntjac emptying pheasant feeders quicker than the keeper can fill them.
Estate gardeners loosing produce from the boss's kitchen garden just as it's ready to harvest.
Drives to ride of muntjac before the bird season starts.
Contracts to honour. Not just "taking your gun for a walk once a fortnight."

It just so happened that we had too many carcasses to handle this time

Usually all the muntjac that I shoot is either gets shipped collectively to the game dealer, (Rigby's £1.50/kg) or gets processed at home or given away. It just so happens that all the freezers are full of either mince, cuts, pulled, lasagne'd or bolanaise'd munty, so no room!
Great idea to give it away, but that would means butchering it all. That's time and space.
Since we had a smart electric meter fitted, 'Ere indoors can't resist stopping at the monitor and tutting whenever the chiller is on and doubling the daily budget !! I just want an easy life.

What I think may have been missed in my OP was that the same effort to present a well shot, clean carcass is overlooked by the game dealer due to the shear numbers of muntjac that pass through their hands. They pay the going rates for the other species, (reds and roe are dropped off regularly), and I have no argument for that.

I know what the local dealer pays for muntjac, that is why - as a rule - I do not take them to him. But on this occasion necessity must, and it just boiled my p!$$ as to what they paid, and what they thought of them.

Seeing clean carcasses just go like that hurt this time. As I said, won't happen again.

But thank you for your opinions.

The fourth Horseman

Oh crumbs, that makes me a professional then!?! :eek:
I'm just a novice, and certainly wouldn't rank myself as anything else alongside a lot of the experienced stalkers on here.
But, as I get paid by a forestry management company to stalk at least once a fortnight, and I get to keep / sell the carcasses, I guess that means I've lost my hobby!
You are almost as lucky as me.:lol:

The fourth Horseman

I remember a few years back when the price dropped and we were shooting a fair number of Roe.
My boss told me to skin them, take them to his butcher who would joint them, then deliver it to all the old folk in surrounding villages. I felt similar to Santa Claus and it really was a good feeling.

foxdropper

Dexter ,from a lad who appears and likes to be seen as squeaky clean you have let yourself down mate .
Stink pits are at best frowned upon and in some circumstances illegal if not all .
The intentional leaving of a carcass for whatever reason contravenes the disposal act .
Dealers whether buying reds down to munties are only paying according to supply and demand ,no supply the price goes up ,no demand the price goes down .Muntjac are poorly paid for two reasons ,lack of demand for small saddles and the fact it takes a frigging jcb to get the jacket off .
Its got be better getting fuel money than potentially wasting them though .
I only take munties in if I have other deer to go with them to make the journey viable .

Last edited:

bogtrotter

Not related to muntjac, but a friend of mine is getting £1.80 kg for reds, while other parts of the country are getting up to £3 kg! Surely most of these are ending up in the same market so why the massive variation in price?
Where are they getting £3 kg for Reds? £1'80 is about the going rate up here £2.50 for Roe we don't have Muntjac
but Roe under 10kg are £1 kg s not that different I imagine.
North of the border we don't have the luxury of selling to the public all venison must pass through a licensed
venison dealer so you must sell to a dealer or be a dealer.

annandale

Where are they getting £3 kg for Reds? £1'80 is about the going rate up here £2.50 for Roe we don't have Muntjac
but Roe under 10kg are £1 kg s not that different I imagine.
North of the border we don't have the luxury of selling to the public all venison must pass through a licensed
venison dealer so you must sell to a dealer or be a dealer.
Various people had said on fb that they were getting £2.80/£3.00 kg from their game dealers in different parts of Scotland. Ours is £1.80 this year. £2.20 last year, £2.40 year before.

fallow me

To put it in to perspective , Waitrose are selling venison loin steaks at £35.00 per kilo, and people buy them, and these are farmed deer, You can process a munty haunch into stakes, joint, or whatever you want and make good money, like i said in a previous post , in the skin i make £1 per pound for muntjac, processed 3 times that, and people happily pay, promote the field to fork mentality with neighbours , friends and family , once word gets about that you can supply super fresh meat that is natural ,the orders will follow, and if you find it hard to process a deer , learn, other wise your just another trigger puller

Reactions: VSS

Mantve

would love to try munjac. if any one have for sale in kent please let me know :) i know they are tasty but never tried .

countrryboy

Dexter ,from a lad who appears and likes to be seen as squeaky clean you have let yourself down mate .
Stink pits are at best frowned upon and in some circumstances illegal if not all .
The intentional leaving of a carcass for whatever reason contravenes the disposal act .
Dealers whether buying reds down to munties are only paying according to supply and demand ,no supply the price goes up ,no demand the price goes down .Muntjac are poorly paid for two reasons ,lack of demand for small saddles and the fact it takes a frigging jcb to get the jacket off .
Its got be better getting fuel money than potentially wasting them though .
I only take munties in if I have other deer to go with them to make the journey viable .

Since when have stink pits and middens been illegal??
Because he has not processed the beast and it is wild so has not broken any waste disposal laws

foxdropper

Try explaining that to a Southern health and safety exec .
You are responsible for the carcass as soon as you shoot it and it’s disposal .
As far as I’m aware Muntjac don’t inhabit Scotland so Dexter was talking about English counties where I know you would fall foul of some directive by purposely setting up a bait station .

Dexter

Try explaining that to a Southern health and safety exec .
You are responsible for the carcass as soon as you shoot it and it’s disposal .
As far as I’m aware Muntjac don’t inhabit Scotland so Dexter was talking about English counties where I know you would fall foul of some directive by purposely setting up a bait station .
Do you have any evidence of this because i'm certainly not aware of any such laws. They're well away from water courses obviously!