Ishapore made Sauer ?

Roro

Wound up on the Ishapore arsenals website for some reason and noticed they do civilian market firearms too. One is a .30-06 sporting rifle that looks very like a sauer. Are they building them under licence or something ?

http://rfi.gov.in/DESIGN/WWD.php?f=0

The "315 Sporting" is curious too. It looks like an Enfield and has the sloping magazine base that would indicate a rimmed cartridge, but is claimed to be in 8mm calibre.

I would agree. I used to own a No4 Enfield and that is almost certainly a sporterised version.
The other one looks remarkably similar to my mates 202 too.

Yes, M725, .303 as used by the British Army and the Indian Army in their standard Enfield rifles is or was illegal in India for civilian ownership. The .315 is chambered for a now obscure 8mm Mannlicher Rimmed cartridge 8x50R that was once popular in Austria-Hungary. Even before the Ishapore Factory made these for the civilian market BSA were before WWII making a sporting rifle in that chambering apparently for sale.

Last edited:
Just wondering about the rifle that looks a bit like the sauer, the last one on the menu. Some countries are a bit dismissive about other peoples patents and things like that. Maybe it is only designed to rougly resemble the sauer bolt actions.

RORO..hello! If you search on You Tube or the website Indians For Guns you'll find info...after a little bit of patience!

Hope this helps? To find the one that looks like an Enfield use parameters Indian 315 Hunting Rifle as if you omit 315 you'll be very frustrated!

Thanks for your "likes" on some of my other posts. I did own an Ishapore SMLE No1 MK III made in about 1944. They work but on this I had to replace the charger bridge as it wouldn't charger load faultlessly 100% of the time. So in my limited, very limited, experience the fine finishing and fine fettling on those military arms wasn't as good as on, say, BSA made SMLE rifles.

Last edited:
Here's a clip of the Enfield based one with a demonstration of safe practice in gun testing. This one is useful as if you let in run to the end it flows into two other videos on Ishapore rifles and stuff.

The "315 Sporting" is curious too. It looks like an Enfield and has the sloping magazine base that would indicate a rimmed cartridge, but is claimed to be in 8mm calibre.
It is an 8mm calibre, but it's some archaic, rimmed design. I can't remember what the "normal" name is for it.

Interesting.... that .30-06 does look like a Sauer 202.
And interesting to see an Enfield Sporting rifle still being made.

I have an unissued Ishapore in 7.62x51mm NATO, based on the No.1 MkIII.

Here's a clip of the Enfield based one with a demonstration of safe practice in gun testing. This one is useful as if you let in run to the end it flows into two other videos on Ishapore rifles and stuff.

AGH!!!!!!!!! I spent 3 months working in Pune India 2013 and went often to the olympic range there, they insisted that all used .22lr cases were handed back in to prove that no live ammo had left the range. They were very funny about any civilian ownership so how this wally got that rifle I can only imagine

Back