Isle of Wight Roe deer drowns

I cant think it deliberately swam to the mainland?!? I think it either got washed out or alternatively was from the mainland and got washed along the coast?

The tides on the eastern approaches, predominately come from west to east coming up to high tide them east to west a number of hours later. As a guess if it did come from the island wouldn't it of had to have come from Bembridge?

Capture.PNG

There's another thread about it here:

Roe buck drowns after swimming from IOW

badbob

Interested in the deer population of the Isle of Wight.
Theres supposed to be a comeback.
I would guess that the deer was scared back into the water by noisy onlookers.
I dont mind shooting deer but I hate to see them drown or get hit by cars.:cry:

sparky9

I cant think it deliberately swam to the mainland?!? I think it either got washed out or alternatively was from the mainland and got washed along the coast?

The tides on the eastern approaches, predominately come from west to east coming up to high tide them east to west a number of hours later. As a guess if it did come from the island wouldn't it of had to have come from Bembridge?

View attachment 98798

There's another thread about it here:

Roe buck drowns after swimming from IOW
That's correct, 1.5 before, to 2.5 hours after high tide, it runs to the west, about 1 hour of slack then it runs to the east, very strong tides so highly unlikely to have come from the island.

timbrayford

That's correct, 1.5 before, to 2.5 hours after high tide, it runs to the west, about 1 hour of slack then it runs to the east, very strong tides so highly unlikely to have come from the island.
The usual route for cross Solent deer swims are towards the western end of the Solent, especially the relatively short channel between Hurst and Fort Albert

jubnut

The mainland has a dense population of roe and there are none or very few on the island, it's far more likely it came from the mainland.

timbrayford

Update:- There's an eye witness account of this deer being chased into the sea by some dogs at Puckpool on the island in this weeks IW County Press.