Isuzu D-Max, what's the verdict?

JMikeyH

Before I pull the pin on getting a D-Max is there anything else I should be looking at? I've considered Navara, L200 etc all the usuals. D-Max seems to be the best bang for buck. Thoughts?

Got no kids, gonna be used as a stalking vehicle and general shooting truck. Lamping likely but also fishing trips with long drives many times a year, ferrying stuff to and from my allotment and probably moving furniture at some point (all standard truck stuff)

The Optimist

I run 3 x Isuzu D-Maxs and 2 x VW V6 3.0 Amaroks for the business. Used to run the new Navaras, but replaced the lot they just weren’t up to the job. The Isuzus are excellent and I have just ordered another. The Amaroks are outstanding, but getting them serviced and maintained is an absolute nightmare. All are fitted with General Grabber AT3 tyres which make a huge difference. IMHO the Isuzu definitely represents the best bang for your buck. A decent hard top on the back is worth getting. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

JMikeyH

Must've as they haven't updated their site yet

@The Optimist thanks for the post. My only concern from what I've seen so far is with the noise from the engine. Is it as bad as the reviews are saying?

The Optimist

@The Optimist thanks for the post. My only concern from what I've seen so far is with the noise from the engine. Is it as bad as the reviews are saying?
When starting from cold some of ours can rattle a bit, but not for long as they soon warm up. Certainly nothing to be bothered about. They are trucks, not cars, so they aren’t intended to be as refined as an SUV. Our Amaroks are in a different league. As I say, I currently run 3 late model Isuzu’s and have ordered a fourth. Very reliable, tough as nails and none have ever let us down 🤞. The General Grabber AT3 tyres make a huge improvement. If you are a BASC member you can get a discount off the truck and the tyres. My dealer is Oliver Landpower at Kings Langley. Outstanding service. Ask for Fergus.

Free range rob

I wanted to chop my ranger in last year so got the dmax on trial for 3 days, dealer was very local, good prices, easy to deal with, everything looked promising.
picked the truck up on a Tuesday, took it back Wednesday, what a pile of crap compared to the ranger.

towing was just outright painful, no grunt, always in the wrong gear, jumping about through the gears to keep it going, fuel economy dropped off a cliff because of that, it sounded like I was driving a tractor, and I felt like I had been run over by one after a couple hours.
it didn’t even come close to what I had been used too, I would say better built though, my ranger has been exceptionally good.

considering all the hype, and the fact everyone around here has one, I expected good things, I’ve never felt so disappointed.

The Optimist

I would add that we run all ours fully loaded. Fuel consumption is very respectable. Each of the Isuzus is currently covering about 30k miles a year on and off (very off) road. We keep them properly serviced and they are well maintained, but they see heavy use. As I said in my earlier post, we’ve had zero problems. Everybody has different requirements and preferences so you’ll get equally valid opinions giving a contrary view.

caberslash

towing was just outright painful, no grunt, always in the wrong gear, jumping about through the gears to keep it going, fuel economy dropped off a cliff because of that, it sounded like I was driving a tractor, and I felt like I had been run over by one after a couple hours.
it didn’t even come close to what I had been used too, I would say better built though, my ranger has been exceptionally good.

I concour with the above having driven them as work vehicles.

Prefer an older, late 2000's L200 or Hilux anyday, would not take the new models either.

Reloader708

I was told my next vehicle was to be a dmax and I have to say I was fairly gutted. My last place of employment ran dmax and I was far from impressed, thankfully due to the strange supply problems we're all experiencing the lead time was ridiculous, so I'm getting the hilux instead...winner! 👍

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I have had 3 now, since 2007 when they bought out the new Rodeo. Prior to this I had an Isuzu/Chevy truck with the old Isuzu diesel engine. So I guess 4 trucks. All of these vehicles have never let me down.
The 2007 was a 2.5 ltr with a pro drive button on the dash. Ran that up to 95,000 miles. Next was a second hand one that was just on the cusp of their changing the model on a 2012 plate. Bought from an Isuzu agent, 5000 miles and nearly 3 years warranty remaining. 3ltr turbo diesel. Ran that up to 110,000 miles.
Changed this recently for an automatic Utah D max on a late 17 plate, 32,000 miles and just over 2 years warranty on it. Love it, will be sticking to autos from now on :).

I use mine for my stalking business, and I am sold on Isuzu. Very reliable, well built, comfortable to drive, and good on fuel. Warranty is very good too. All I would add is that regular oil and filter changes are vital in a diesel engine to keep it running clean and well. I change mine every 6000 to 8000 miles. Mind its the VAT that kills it on these vehicles, being considered commercial, they are not cheap, even good second hand ones really hold their price.
There is a single cab version you can get.

JMikeyH

They really seem like marmite trucks! I'll have to book a test drive from the local dealer. The newer models of the truck do seem to have fixed a lot of the quibbles with earlier versions

Crowstalker

I have been driving the new isuzu 1.9 pickup for a good 4 months now. I am very impressed with it for the most part. Comfortable for what is a work vehicle plenty of room inside and not bad for towing at low Speed. The issue I have is the 1.9 engine at higher speed of you wanted to overtake something while towing its lacks power. The 2.5 or 3 engines are more lively at higher speeds. I think they have put a lower gearbox in to get the towing power to suit the 1.9. All in all I would still recommend it very much I love it. 4 wheel drives works good too its pulled me out of a few holes while towing a trailer too!

I wanted to chop my ranger in last year so got the dmax on trial for 3 days, dealer was very local, good prices, easy to deal with, everything looked promising.
picked the truck up on a Tuesday, took it back Wednesday, what a pile of crap compared to the ranger.

considering all the hype, and the fact everyone around here has one, I expected good things, I’ve never felt so disappointed.
We (at work) run an older 2.5 and a new 1.9, both are frequently towing their full 3.5(ish...) tons over distance both on and off road. I've found them capable but not awe-inspiring. Both will slow significantly on a hill, although the 1.9 is quicker on the downshift (auto gearbox) which helps. Both have also been remapped. I never drove either prior to that, but I imagine they would feel very "flat" towing, assuming the remap is a significant improvement... The 2.5 is basic trim, the 1.9 top spec, but it's nowhere near as nice as my 2012 Navara in the equivalent spec. Satnav and entertainment aren't very refined and the ride is a bit firm.

Free range rob

That’s probably a pretty good description.
I also tow 3.5t most days, on and off road, and quite often with a load in the back of the pickup as well.
The ranger just goes, surprises all those tits who see you towing and think they will cut you up at the turn right lane, it just takes off and you can see the look on thier faces when they are left alongside the trailer trying to cut in front of you 😂😂😂
That’s standard with no remap, I’ve probably been spoilt by it as nothing else I’ve tried apart from possibly my Range Rover tows anything like it.
I can remember the Isuzu dealer saying to me they put the 1.9 in a test against all the pickups at the time, “it was no better but not significantly worse than most of them” were his exact words.
I reckon the build quality should be better than the Ford, and around my parts the dealer backup is certainly better as Ford in my town are shockingly appalling, but that’s the best I can say about the Isuzu which is such a shame as I really wanted one.

swatty

I’ve just bought a second hand 2.4 litre twin 15 plate with low miles In comparison to the old 3 litre hilux it’s as flat as a pancake that was until a basic remap and now it’s as good . I’ve driven the 1.9 newer version and found it painful couldn’t pull the skin of a rice pudding

The Singing Stalker

That’s probably a pretty good description.
I also tow 3.5t most days, on and off road, and quite often with a load in the back of the pickup as well.
The ranger just goes, surprises all those tits who see you towing and think they will cut you up at the turn right lane, it just takes off and you can see the look on thier faces when they are left alongside the trailer trying to cut in front of you 😂😂😂
That’s standard with no remap, I’ve probably been spoilt by it as nothing else I’ve tried apart from possibly my Range Rover tows anything like it.
I can remember the Isuzu dealer saying to me they put the 1.9 in a test against all the pickups at the time, “it was no better but not significantly worse than most of them” were his exact words.
I reckon the build quality should be better than the Ford, and around my parts the dealer backup is certainly better as Ford in my town are shockingly appalling, but that’s the best I can say about the Isuzu which is such a shame as I really wanted one.
Which model Ranger do you have and the engine size? From memory one of them is supposed to go BANG, after a few miles.

Free range rob

Which model Ranger do you have and the engine size? From memory one of them is supposed to go BANG, after a few miles.
3.2 limited.
And yes there seems to be a lot of people saying that, it’s to do with the oil pump they use been a vane type, there is an aftermarket pump that is geared and cures the problem.
However, mine has been abused to hell and back, it’s missed services, driven the arse off it, high mileage, towing heavy loads fully loaded, and it’s never missed a beat so I can’t comment why others have had issues with them