Its not all ferny

John Gryphon

I climbed one of my permanent stands this morn to check the timbers etc,as we have a mate coming up from Melb for a few days.
The stand is on a dry spur on the 'dry side' of the valley and the natural shooting lane hasn't been touched in any way. I chose the spot as the deer come down that lane from where there is a cherry rub tree 200 yards uphill.
It is actually quite steep and will get you puffing going up to the cherry..Loki take notice!

stand%20view%20aug%202%2018_zpsukdmendi.jpg

FISH BOY

Wow Dumfries has changed since I was last there...

Question on your dog. Aus is full of deadly snakes, so does it wear a rattle when your out on foot? What precautions do you take especially when out in the sticks?

John Gryphon

Aye laddie,Dumfries is bloody dry this year.

None except the below FB as after the initial learning they are on their own,they stick their noses in logs,burrows and anywhere else a dog will.Presumably they smell one and its off limits to them.

All I have ever done is to get a snake,show it too them,whip it around and smash it into the ground a few times with quite a few warning AAH AAH`s etc to let them know that they are not to be touched,obviously they have already been schooled as to what AAH AAH means.

Rattle? Snakes are deaf laddie!

FISH BOY

None except the below FB as after the initial learning they are on their own,they stick their noses in logs,burrows and anywhere else a dog will.Presumably they smell one and its off limits to them.

All I have ever done is to get a snake,show it too them,whip it around and smash it into the ground a few times with quite a few warning AAH AAH`s etc to let them know that they are not to be touched,obviously they have already been schooled as to what AAH AAH means.

Haha for vibration

What about you? Are you allowed to carry any anti venom?

Colleague at work a while ago went to the US, sat on a bench in a semi remote area and was tagged on the back of the leg by a rattler hiding under the bench... Lucky girl survived and had 4 months off.

John Gryphon

Anti V needs to be kept frozen I believe,thus if we were allowed a personal dose it would be impractical.

Loki

Hey John

Easy does it - I was sure you stated, given our years, gentle walking and lots of sitting would be the order of the day.........!

L

reloader54

not quite.
[FONT=&amp]Snakes have no visible ear, so they don't hear sounds as we do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]But it's not quite right to say that snakes are deaf. They have vestiges of the apparatus for hearing inside their heads, and that setup is attached to their jaw bones, so they feel vibrations very well and may hear low-frequency airborne sounds.[/FONT]

FISH BOY

Haha, from your first post I thought Logi was the name of you dog....

Having had snakes for 20+ years, they are extremely sensitive to vibrations, hence my interest.

Having fed 18ft pythons to cape cobras, I'm relatively confident around snakes, however would be very much be looking at my feet rather than a deer when stalking in a land famous for some of the most venemous creatures on the planet.

Being endothermic, dawn and dusk are their favourite time to harness the Sun's rays. With being a stalker you must of had encounters and I know you love a quality photo and without getting yourself killed taking a selfie, do you have any to share?

John Gryphon

not quite.
[FONT=&amp]Snakes have no visible ear, so they don't hear sounds as we do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]But it's not quite right to say that snakes are deaf. They have vestiges of the apparatus for hearing inside their heads, and that setup is attached to their jaw bones, so they feel vibrations very well and may hear low-frequency airborne sounds.[/FONT]

Great copy /paste cobber lol.

Snakes have no visible ear, so they don't hear sounds as we do. But it's not quite right to say that snakes are deaf. They have vestiges of the apparatus for hearing inside their heads, and that setup is attached to their jaw bones, so they feel vibrations very well and may hear low-frequency airborne sounds.Nov 7, 2012

Haha, from your first post I thought Logi was the name of you dog....

Having had snakes for 20+ years, they are extremely sensitive to vibrations, hence my interest.

Having fed 18ft pythons to cape cobras, I'm relatively confident around snakes, however would be very much be looking at my feet rather than a deer when stalking in a land famous for some of the most venemous creatures on the planet.

Being endothermic, dawn and dusk are their favourite time to harness the Sun's rays. With being a stalker you must of had encounters and I know you love a quality photo and without getting yourself killed taking a selfie, do you have any to share?
Havent taken snake pics for some years now,have a couple of older ones that I have taken that have graced these pages prev.

brownman%20SD_zpsswnvjtzs.jpg

FISH BOY

Wow that's a stunning photo.

Not sure if it's a brown or a taipan, but it looks in amazing condition, not to mention in its S for strike pose.

Loki

Hello John

No worries - I have found some Gorilla camo tape for the zimmer frame so should be able to get somewhere!

L

John Gryphon

FB another for you,same tiger,I must admit to throwing a few pebbles at it to stir it up a bit.
I have a full res pic somewhere and this one is only a poor res copy but you will get the gist of it.

fat%20tiger%202%20sd%202_zpszs5fcxrc.jpg