I've been bad!

Muir

I know I swore off of buying rifles this year and Lord knows, I have been pretty good about running the other way, but tonight the overwhelming forces of Temptation and Greed turned me from the path of righteousness.

I went to the City this afternoon and visited one of the large sports shops. There I saw, damn my eyes, a Tikka T-3 Stainless .223 with a 1-10" twist. The price was $650 US. I could feel the yearning the minute I picked it off the rack. No sooner had I hoisted it to my shoulder but a salesman was at my elbow whispering to me about their new store credit card; Six months same as cash on purchases over $500. I like six months same as cash. Then he says that the first purchase made with that card gets an automatic $15 off the price. Then he says that, additionally, any firearms purchase gets another $25 off right off. I must have blacked out at that point. I came to my senses a few blocks from the store with the Tikka box in the back seat blocking the view of my rear-view mirror and 80 rounds of Federal .223 in a bag next to it.

I need help...~Muir

It is not a question of whether you are in the dung.

Merely a question of how deep.

​I refer you to your other post on discretionary funds.

But, as one sinner to another, there is nothing quite like the sweet smell of a good deal.

T3 Muir,,really,,you must know better than to drink the blood of the unholy swine!

tell you what, send me a selection of your M98 FN and Oberndorfs, and I'll happily send you some Tikka actions in return!

It is not a question of whether you are in the dung.

Merely a question of how deep.

​I refer you to your other post on discretionary funds.

But, as one sinner to another, there is nothing quite like the sweet smell of a good deal.

I know, right??
My funding thing will be taken care of shortly which is why the 6 mos same as cash appealed. I mean, it's not the money spent. It's the dirtiness I feel.

PKL: Tikka= Shooting machine. And besides, we never see 1-10" twists here. My T-3 Lite is an 1:8". ~Muir

Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim and you my friend must buy rifles. I say dont fight it be what you are......

Signed The Enabler ( Steve) lol

Such love from you guys.

I slapped a Ziess Conquest on top of that Tikka and shot it tonight with some "universal" .223 loads using Win 748 and a 50 grain V-Max. It shot clusters. My 25m siter put my first three shots through pretty much the same hole. At 100 the first three were a half inch. The last three cloverleafed.

Then I pulled out my custom Hart barreled Howa and shot some fine groups. For my last shot I told my buddy I was going to hit a bullet hole from one of his siters. I did. (Sierra MK. H322 and a Rem 7.5: shoots in the two's) The Tikka shows promise but I love Howa.~Muir

PS: So what I don't like about the Tikka. The freaking cost of extra magazines! Polymer. Not exactly the pinnacle of precision gun craft. EIGHTY DOLLARS, EACH!!
Nutz.

Last edited:
Don't you now owe a hundred dollars to your pal for buying a rifle costing over a hundred dollars, and breaking your new years resolution? :(

The tikka sounds good. 1:10 eh, very interesting.
Tell us more about the howa. I have a weatherby action and Macmillan stock at home. Can't decide whether to persist with this project in 6br, or sell a few guns and buy an R8. The 223 R8 also has a 1:10 I have been informed.

Muir, are you sure the barrel is a 1:10"? I thought Tikka offered 1:8" and 1:12" only.
I can't think what bullets a 1:10" might usefully suit.

Breaking strain of a wet Kit Kat!

John

Common now. That's not nice. I went seven months, twenty days without caving in. YOU of all people, should know what a feat of intestinal fortitude that was! I still haven't shot that CZ 452 American you said I'd have shot out in a month. It's still in the box, unfired. Granted, it's in the back of the gun room and I can't readily reach it, but it's still unfired.

That hurt, John.~Muir

Muir, are you sure the barrel is a 1:10"? I thought Tikka offered 1:8" and 1:12" only.
I can't think what bullets a 1:10" might usefully suit.

And that's the thing, isn't it. I have heard of 1:12 but never have seen one as I was told when I ordered my T-3 Lite that only 1:8 were imported to the US. So when I saw that this was a 1:10 it really caught my eye. Maybe it's something new? The tag showed it was put out into stock on May 13th of this year. As to the suitability of bullets, in general, I'm thinking up to 60 grain will work fine. It definitely shoots 50 grain VM very well, also. We're going to take it out prairiedogging this afternoon after the last of our hunting companions drives in later on today. And that had a lot to do with the purchase: I have a couple of avid shooter house guests for the week and this will make a good conversation piece.~Muir

And that's the thing, isn't it. I have heard of 1:12 but never have seen one as I was told when I ordered my T-3 Lite that only 1:8 were imported to the US. So when I saw that this was a 1:10 it really caught my eye. Maybe it's something new? The tag showed it was put out into stock on May 13th of this year. As to the suitability of bullets, in general, I'm thinking up to 60 grain will work fine. It definitely shoots 50 grain VM very well, also. We're going to take it out prairiedogging this afternoon after the last of our hunting companions drives in later on today. And that had a lot to do with the purchase: I have a couple of avid shooter house guests for the week and this will make a good conversation piece.~Muir

I forgot those two were coming this week, its a good thing you have got plenty of reloading supplies :D

John

I forgot those two were coming this week, its a good thing you have got plenty of reloading supplies :D

John

True that. The California contingent isn't due here for a couple of hours and the New Jersey Chapter is chomping at the bit, having been here since (very) early Friday morning. The trip to The City to buy supplies (surprisingly,I didn't have enough) was just made more fun by me buying the Tikka. We took some of NJ's universal .223 loads and ran them through the gun and then some handloads. It will be a conversation piece for the week. I still have to pay Dennis the $100, as someone kindly pointed out. But if I amortize that $100 over the short list of guns I want to buy it comes out to about $10 a gun. A Tikka carbon steel 7mm-08 is screaming at me: $500 NIB. It has been there for better than a year with no takers. I have brass. I have dies. I have bullets......

And I also have a sterling 7x57 already that will be hard to outshoot. I think you had better come back over to intervene. When you were here for that month we only bought, what, six rifles and a handgun? Please. For the sake of my family, John.....~Muir

1:10 should shoot 69 gners alright. They would be slippery enough at 300 + meters out of a 223.
The question is, is the magazine long enough to accommodate a 69er with seated far enough out to get max case capacity to realise the full benefit.

My T3 223 is a 1:12" and it's fine with the 60gn Vmax but have not tried any heavier, or more importantly, longer.
My magazine allows a maximum OAL of 2.295", but as it is plastic it can easily modded to allow longer bullets.

I seldom shoot anything heavier than 55 grain because this is just for varmints. Also, I have a 1:8 T3 for heavier bullets should I want them. And single load is no problem for me.~Muir

Back