ive got it

niko

:D just had to tel someone
finally Ive got the agreement from my firearms dept for my deer cal
just waiting on the paperwork now :D
they have agreed to .270 cal with sound mod for deer and fox (not fox while stalking) closed ticket but cant have every thing(all my other rifles are open)
they have also agreed to a .410 shot pistol so i am grinning like a fool now :D :D :D

cant wait to start developing loads and learning whatever rifle i get and get out on the deer

Gez

niko said:
Gez said:
Congratulations, hopefully I won't be too far behind you!

Gez
good luck mate
Thanks, although it may still be a couple of months until I get there - I have to make sure I can afford the rifle first, I don't want and FAC buring a hole in my pocket and having to wait to buy a gun!!

Gez

stag1933

`niko`.
When you get your .270 try this load but start a couple of grains less for safety reasons. [100yds zero.]
130gr SPBT Speer bullet, Federal Match primer 210GM, 52gr VIHT. N160 powder in Norma brass.
Also seat the bullet a few thou. from the rifling.

It works a charm on all Deer from Muntys to Reds and also Bushytails.

HWH.

niko

Re: .270

stag1933 said:
`niko`.
When you get your .270 try this load but start a couple of grains less for safety reasons. [100yds zero.]
130gr SPBT Speer bullet, Federal Match primer 210GM, 52gr VIHT. N160 powder in Norma brass.
Also seat the bullet a few thou. from the rifling.

It works a charm on all Deer from Muntys to Reds and also Bushytails.

HWH.
very good of you mate ill do that ,have you crono'd this load ?

stag1933

No I haven`t, but I always load for best accuracy and don`t worry too much about velocity.
Vihtavouri max. loading is 54.8gr for the N160 powder with a 130gr bullet and published velocity is 3030 FPS.
On this basis I expect I am getting about 2850 FPS with 2345 Foot Pounds of energy.
At the max. of 3030 FPS the energy would be in the region of 2650 Foot Pounds.

HWH.

stag1933

No I haven`t, but I always load for best accuracy and don`t worry too much about velocity.
Vihtavouri max. loading is 54.8gr for the N160 powder with a 130gr bullet and published velocity is 3030 FPS.
On this basis I expect I am getting about 2850 FPS with 2345 Foot Pounds of energy.
At the max. of 3030 FPS the energy would be in the region of 2650 Foot Pounds.

HWH.

Max

Very nice group, 5 rounds?
I'm with you on accuracy over speed but if you don't chrono your loads and use a ballistics program how do you know your drop offs.
Just curious ;)

stag1933

The 100yd zero is for forest use mainly on Roe, Muntys and Foxes which are usually shot within this distance.
For Deer etc. on the open mountain I used to raise my 100yd point of aim to 3 inches high at 100yds.
That would cope with almost ANY shot which I would take as I was never a long-range `chuck-it-and-chance-it`person.

That Speer bullet Ref. No. 1458 has a ballistic coefficient of .449 which is fairly high thus producing a fairly flat trajectory anyway.

HWH.

stag1933

The 100yd zero is for forest use mainly on Roe, Muntys and Foxes which are usually shot within this distance.
For Deer etc. on the open mountain I used to raise my 100yd point of aim to 3 inches high at 100yds.
That would cope with almost ANY shot which I would take as I was never a long-range `chuck-it-and-chance-it`person.

That Speer bullet Ref. No. 1458 has a ballistic coefficient of .449 which is fairly high thus producing a fairly flat trajectory anyway.

HWH.

stag1933

It`s at the double posting again !!!!
Below is a pic. of my .270 and a forest Fox zapped well within the 100yd zero setting with that loading.

HWH.