Jeremy Vine lorry passing cyclists.

gixer1

Anyone seen this clip and debate? Are we seriously turning into this?? What a load of sh*te! Absolute bellends if they think the truck was in the wrong here….about time this was reeled in.

dazb1967

The Cyclist could have moved over, When I was young and had to take a cycling provision test we were always told to cycle single file.
It's mad that were coming down to this.
I see both sides, I drive but also cycle 30 mile a day so see both sides, you will only ever see footage that the cyclist want you to see, cyclists will never show you them not waiting at red lights or weaving in and out of traffic, If you watch the video you will see the cyclist drift over into the car lane, Is that cycling without due care and attention, you will also see another cyclist come from the outside of the traffic and cut across in front of a car, they can't have it all ways.
We all need to take responsibility both cars and bikes.

Liveonce

This

“The Cyclist could have moved over, When I was young and had to take a cycling provision test we were always told to cycle single file.”

Have the misfortune to follow any two cyclist today and they will ride side by side never considering the queue of vehicles behind them on narrow country lanes as they take their exercise with the idea that they now own the roads.

frustrating as it is all you can do is follow slowly at a safe distance until they go a different way, still without a second thought of riding single file to allow vehicles to pass.

Horse riders behave far more considerate than such cyclists.

YoungGun

This

“The Cyclist could have moved over, When I was young and had to take a cycling provision test we were always told to cycle single file.”

Have the misfortune to follow any two cyclist today and they will ride side by side never considering the queue of vehicles behind them on narrow country lanes as they take their exercise with the idea that they now own the roads.

frustrating as it is all you can do is follow slowly at a safe distance until they go a different way, still without a second thought of riding single file to allow vehicles to pass.

Totally agree - if you can be safe on 400 kg, sentient animal then you can do it on your road bike that does exactly what you tell it.

Encounter a lot of the lycra set working in London and it almost seems like a power/ego thing to cause vehicular traffic problems.

Foxyboy43

That guy is a total waste of space. His mock sincerity on his radio programme beggars description - typical of the utter garbage churned out by “woke” (wot?) nonentities on what used to be the world's finest public broadcasting service.
Lord I really do feel better for that!
🦊🦊

Fox Tales

The policeman on the bike strays out his lane in the last few seconds of the video with out looking or signalling

Totally agree , totally lacked any resemblance of lane discipline.

Personally , I think it's high time the Highway code had an injection of common sense.

There's a lot of hate towards lorries , perhaps we should all park up for a couple of days 🤔. It took the Shell drivers 2 days to bring the country to its knees .

jer

That so called traffic officer needs to take a look at the video and he will realise that he was the one guilty of undue care and attention by not keeping away from the lane the lorry was travelling in. He had plenty of space to stay another 2 feet away from the lane markings instead he chose to weave about close to the line putting himself in danger, its little wonder cyclists are generally disliked when you see this sort of behavior. I sincerely hope that traffic officers superiors see this and point out to him exactly who the guilty party is. As for Vine, the tone of his voice makes me want to switch him off let alone his ridiculous views.

Jelen

This

Our road (read country lane) is so narrow that, if you obeyed the latest manifestation of the Highway Code re; Cyclists, you wouldn't be legally able to overtake them for 4 miles. And that's just ladies going to visit friends, let alone the MAMIL's who use it as a velodrome!
That's it, rant over.

DVS1

So a vehicle stays IN its lane and he'll get an undue ticket for doing nothing wrong!?!?! 🤔 what a load of bollocks! The recent legislation change in the highway code regarding cyclists is handing them power...every day I pass a cyclist, same time same place, and she's a bloody nightmare! Sitting proud with her helmet and riding like she owns the bloody road!

Applying common sense to passing cyclists is all that's needed...yes there are some dweebs that have none but don't tar us all with the same brush!

If cyclists want more protection on the road then surely they should have their insurance linked to driving insurance or have specific insurance if they only ride a bike...the palaver trying to recover damages if a cyclist causes damage to your car I can only imagine!

dunwater

The cyclists should be in single file unless there are lane markings indicating otherwise.
All motorised transport is under attack, the greens want car and truck free towns and cities and an effective ban on the private car in the next decade or so. It looks like they’re going to get it too.

gixer1

Blah blah blah,

Damn cyclists getting themselves killed when they don't even pay tax blah blah pish.
Surely you can see why this case is ridiculous though? Or do you feel the truck should have sat and not driven in it’s own lane for fear of frightening the sensitive officer on the bicycle?

dunwater

Blah blah blah,

Damn cyclists getting themselves killed when they don't even pay tax blah blah pish.
Theres a genuine problem with cyclists, traffic regulation and enforcement, as in theres virtually no enforcement.
The roads are for all users, its up to us all to keep them safe and moving but the burden to do so is only carried by the motorised road users.

robs5230

I just watched that clip and I'm staggered.
A bed on an artic is 8' wide. Those lanes must only be 10'. I'd say the driver has little room to be anywhere else.

I thought the idea of cycle lanes was to give cyclists adequate room to ride safely. Riding that close to another lane (i.e. 2 abreast) is hardly safe riding.
"Give em an inch and they'll take a mile" springs to mind here.
The cyclists, including that copper ought to be done for undue care and attention.

Never mind, as cycling is a healthy pursuit.
Every day round here, I see healthy cyclists, getting their cardio workout, while queues of traffic lag behind them, with the drivers in danger of heart attacks, due to being forced to drive at about 15mph on a 60mph road