JRT - showing potential?

Hell Toupee

Hi,

I have a just under 1 year old Jack Russell, who, to me at least, is showing some tracking potential.
She's picked up on a couple of roe before I have when out on a walk.

I've taken her out once with me stalking, but only in the truck, and having shot a buck got her to track it for the last 50m of the drag back to the vehicle, which she did well (well, she found it at least), although I appreciate she may have just been following my scent!

My main problem with her is that being a young JRT she's very head strong, and her heel is to say the least limited, especially if there is something to chase.

Does anyone have any links (websites) or books, or personal experience they are willing to share that would help me along the way?

I'd like her to become VERY steady at the heel, to continue to track shot deer, and, in an ideal world, flush birds (feathered!) if required.

Thanks,

HT

reloader54

Hi,

I have a just under 1 year old Jack Russell, who, to me at least, is showing some tracking potential.
She's picked up on a couple of roe before I have when out on a walk.

I've taken her out once with me stalking, but only in the truck, and having shot a buck got her to track it for the last 50m of the drag back to the vehicle, which she did well (well, she found it at least), although I appreciate she may have just been following my scent!

My main problem with her is that being a young JRT she's very head strong, and her heel is to say the least limited, especially if there is something to chase.

Does anyone have any links (websites) or books, or personal experience they are willing to share that would help me along the way?

I'd like her to become VERY steady at the heel, to continue to track shot deer, and, in an ideal world, flush birds (feathered!) if required.

Thanks,

HT

many years ago a friends father was invited to one of my "keepers days" and he brought a jack russell, she was one of the best behaved dogs that I had the pleasure of seeing work, off the lead she would constantly look at her master waiting to be given a command, she would point, flush and retrieve as good as any gundog I ever saw, and when I recommended the guns to keep their dogs off the frozen lake in case of a break through, she was sent to retrieve a cock from the ice on a long piece of baler twine, at only the fraction of a labs weight she was safe and she looked a picture trotting back to her master.[ she only delivered birds to him, nobody else] sadly they have both passed now, but I remember them both, fondly.

work with your jack, she may surprise you.

bullet chucker

Basic training is the way to go.Slowly at first and see how it goes, all dogs are different.But,in general all they want is to please you! On the lead walk to heal ect, Short walks,sit to command,wait a while then walk on all help to get her steady and not all fired up every time you take her out.Best of luck.

BC.