Judas Fallow

John Norris

Thought some of you might like to see a photo of the Judas Fallow buck we have, we won't shot him, have anyone else got them or photos to show us?.IMG_5443.jpg

joed

Spent 10 mins yesterday playing peeka boo with one yesterday. Had i shot presented itself i dont know if i would have taken it

karamoja

Easy to spot from miles away, for every one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They always go first. Always have and always will!
In the eighties there was a concerted effort to cull all the white ones around where I lived in North Herts. Poaching slowed down a lot!!!
K

stalkerboydy

In the eighties there was a concerted effort to cull all the white ones around where I lived in North Herts. Poaching slowed down a lot!!!
K
Totally agree :tiphat: :thumb:

John Norris

K
I find that it helps our stalkers find the deer more than it helps poachers. If we keep him and he disappeared then we worry we might have poaching. We have a policy that we only shoot prickets and does, I try to keep the locals pleased at the same time, it's more about keeping numbers down for us;can't have stalkers not shooting lots of prickets and does waiting for that nice trophy buck! Over the years our best bucks seem to get tied up in some rope or electric fencing and strangle themselves anyway. We have about four nicely palmated melanistic bucks and the one white on around 4000 acres, we always seem to see less does in the shooting season and loads of them when they seem to know they are safe.

paul dillon

Had a white Doe with us for around 8 years with a very distinguished scare on her right rib side looked like it was from barbed wire took some photos but cant find them at present and haven't seen her for the last year ??

The fourth Horseman

Out last evening trying to get a pricket for my son's freezer. I have a white doe that stands out like a sore thumb and doesn't show up during the doe season, been after her for two years. Same old thing last night, forty six in front of me,only two prickets and they kept to the skyline until it got dark. Always shoot white or light Menil beasts every time I see one as we get poached to hell and back.

John Norris

Yes I reckon our deer have an inbuilt calendar and know they are safe we are the same as most I would think, that bucks show themselves more often then the does.

johngryphon

I saw some blokes in Aus that have a pet fallow doe that they use to attract or relax wild deer with and then get their shots off. Apparently she rides to the place with them in the vehicle and its on from there.

Monkey Spanker

That's an interesting throwback John as I know your herd is entirely Melanistic otherwise? It is thought that the white Fallow gene is actually the strongest, so by leaving him to breed, you could end up with a black and white herd! He looks like he will make it to 3 years old as long as you don't cull him in the next week. I would have thought they were fairly safe from poachers where you are. I'd definitely leave him and see what effect it has on the herd colouration.
I used your photo of Meg's epic deer river retrieve on a DCS 1 course today and nobody could guess the breed of dog from the photo!:D
MS

dlz90

I agree they can attract unwanted attention sometimes but I have one of these close to me at present a sorrel I left him but only because the locals close by liked him so much he's like pet lamb to them now lol, they spring up from time to time and I know of at least one other not so often seen sore maybe bare buck now if hes still alive which I hope he is and I guess my soft old heart would leave until he goes back if he's that lucky to get the opportunity to last that long.....

John Norris

That's an interesting throwback John as I know your herd is entirely Melanistic otherwise? It is thought that the white Fallow gene is actually the strongest, so by leaving him to breed, you could end up with a black and white herd! He looks like he will make it to 3 years old as long as you don't cull him in the next week. I would have thought they were fairly safe from poachers where you are. I'd definitely leave him and see what effect it has on the herd colouration.
I used your photo of Meg's epic deer river retrieve on a DCS 1 course today and nobody could guess the breed of dog from the photo!:D
MS
Hi M, He is not the first white we have had, we have had a few over the years not a lot, it seems to me that maybe the white buck we had around 15 years ago left his mark and we don't seem to get a mix colour, just the odd total white, this buck has had a fair sized group of does to himself so we will see, yeh I still get interest in Meg doing her Fallow retrieve.

seibassman7

totally off topic but could you post the photo of meg and her now famous retrieve as I for one would love to see it if you could? Regards SBM

John Norris

Megs water retrieve. This was a wounded Fallow that tried to cross a fast flowing river, I then neck shot it, Meg did the rest, see the blood trail she was fighting a fast tide to bring this one home.
She is a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever.
IMG_3664.JPG

Last edited:

Chasey

Several round on my bit. Often see two or three in the herd one buck and defo at least two doe

There is a herd of all white deer somewhere in Tonbridge / east grinsted if I rememeber corectly

[video]https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlweZ4PC50AQhIEgPLqUT2ZEGMGARQ[/video]

Last edited: