Judge cleared on New Year's Day assaults on hunt saboteurs in Derbyshire field

ColinJ

A judge who was accused of assaulting two hunt saboteurs on New Year’s Day last year has been found not guilty.

Derbyshire Times, Wednesday, 8th January 2020

Mark Davies, aged 67, of Lumb Lane, Bradfield, chairman of the Barlow Hunt, was accused of assaulting Austin Jordan and William Robinson in a field on private land at Highlightley Farm, at Barlow, on January 1, 2019.

During the second day of evidence into the case at Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, January 8, Mr Davies said that it was he who had been assaulted by the protestors, with Mr Jordan smashing him in the face with a metal canister, knocking him to the floor and cutting his face.

He said that he had then ‘rugby tackled’ Mr Robinson to the floor when he got back to his feet, because he was acting in self defence and felt that both he and his wife - Joan Williams, a retired Superintendent with South Yorkshire Police - were in danger of attack.
Video footage of the incident played at the trial showed Mr Davies wrestling with Mr Jordan before falling to the ground, although it was unclear whether the cannister had hit his face.

The footage also showed Mrs Williams - who had her arm in a sling at the time - being pushed to the ground.

Mr Davies described seeing the group of four wearing dark clothing with their faces concealed as they tried to make their way past them and his wife to observe trail hunting in the next field. He had been in the process of restoring an electric fence when the incident happened.

“I told them that they had no right to be there and I held my arms out to stop them from trespassing any further,” he told the court.

“The next thing I can recall is being struck in the face and falling to the ground.”

Speaking about the alleged assault on Mr Robinson, he added: “I really thought he was going to attack me. I felt intimidated and threatened by them and there were women and children present.”

Following a two-day trial, Mr Davies was found not guilty of both charges

FrenchieBoy

It's great that these thugs have been shown up in court but shouldn't they now be tried for Aggrevated Trespass(sp) as the video is said to show them in fact to be in the wrong, and Mrs Williams should also be pressing for charges.
It's high time these thugs had the tables turned on them!

FrenchieBoy

Well done, Judge Davies!

Can you imagine the worry and anxiety that he must have endured over the past year?

This time, the system worked. Love it when that happens.
Totally agree with you Carl.
I personally would be whole heartedly in favour of bringing back the birch for these thugs that think they can go wherever they want whenever they want and intimidate and attack people going about their legal every day sports, just the same as these thugs and idiots that attack and mug the elderly who can not stand up for themselves - A good "birching" might just knock a bit of sense into them, because that is all they are fit for!

CarlW

I personally would be whole heartedly in favour of bringing back the birch for these thugs that think they can go wherever they want whenever they want and intimidate and attack people going about their legal every day sports, just the same as these thugs and idiots that attack and mug the elderly who can not stand up for themselves - A good "birching" might just knock a bit of sense into them, because that is all they are fit for!
I carry a sjambok at all times, in search of UKSHA dog-trackers continuing to flout the law...

reloader54

far too lenient, and in the case of attacking and mugging pensioners, execute the scum. society don't need this in the gene pool.

Mud Stuffin

Wouldn’t it be amazing if one shooting organisation or another offered to pick up these innocent people’s legal bill if they decided to pursue these individuals in the courts and help establish some legal precedents which the rest of the shooting community could rely on.

Ade8mm

A judge who was accused of assaulting two hunt saboteurs on New Year’s Day last year has been found not guilty.

Derbyshire Times, Wednesday, 8th January 2020

Mark Davies, aged 67, of Lumb Lane, Bradfield, chairman of the Barlow Hunt, was accused of assaulting Austin Jordan and William Robinson in a field on private land at Highlightley Farm, at Barlow, on January 1, 2019.

During the second day of evidence into the case at Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, January 8, Mr Davies said that it was he who had been assaulted by the protestors, with Mr Jordan smashing him in the face with a metal canister, knocking him to the floor and cutting his face.

He said that he had then ‘rugby tackled’ Mr Robinson to the floor when he got back to his feet, because he was acting in self defence and felt that both he and his wife - Joan Williams, a retired Superintendent with South Yorkshire Police - were in danger of attack.
Video footage of the incident played at the trial showed Mr Davies wrestling with Mr Jordan before falling to the ground, although it was unclear whether the cannister had hit his face.

The footage also showed Mrs Williams - who had her arm in a sling at the time - being pushed to the ground.

Mr Davies described seeing the group of four wearing dark clothing with their faces concealed as they tried to make their way past them and his wife to observe trail hunting in the next field. He had been in the process of restoring an electric fence when the incident happened.

“I told them that they had no right to be there and I held my arms out to stop them from trespassing any further,” he told the court.

“The next thing I can recall is being struck in the face and falling to the ground.”

Speaking about the alleged assault on Mr Robinson, he added: “I really thought he was going to attack me. I felt intimidated and threatened by them and there were women and children present.”

Following a two-day trial, Mr Davies was found not guilty of both charges
Dear ColinJ . Thank you very much for posting this. A correct outcome. As others have said, let us trust the trouble makers here get their just reward, but don't hold your breath.
The antis and gutter press have already been bleating about an "establishment stitch-up" , given he is a former Judge and his wife being ex-police. Funny how they always squeal "foul" when they don't get their way.

No excuse for covering one's face ever (with two exceptions - Special Opps or Roe Stalking !) Though I do know a Muslim lady who sometimes puts on a full Abaya for the school run if she doesn't have time to "put her make-up on" ! :rofl:

Fadcode

Surely the question is, why he was prosecuted in the first place, if there was video evidence, and other onlookers etc, and why weren't the thugs prosecuted?
The Police are now too scared to be seen as discriminatory, so they do nothing, obviously making a case against a 67 y.o man and his wife is a lot easier than getting a case against 4 thugs.
It is not fair.......................to put it mildly.

johngryphon

Greens seem to get away with just about anything...sympathetic ****s in the judiciary?

I cant believe this one.

ColinJ

Don’t be in a rush to blame the police, they report to the CPS, who decide who gets charged with what.

Klenchblaize

The antis and gutter press have already been bleating about an "establishment stitch-up" , given he is a former Judge and his wife being ex-police. Funny how they always squeal "foul" when they don't get their way
You've saved me from posting the very observation that has come to pass.

K

teyhan1

Greens seem to get away with just about anything...sympathetic ****s in the judiciary?

I cant believe this one.

Hey that gives me an idea!!
If we go sprinkle mince on all the vegetables, can we starve out the vegans??