Judicial review against the release of gamebirds in and near to designated sites

Cumbrian 1

There are good and bad practices in every industry, but I still maintain that land managed for game shooting is far more beneficial to wildlife than land used for example intensive agriculture. This judicial review has nothing absolutely nothing to do with conservation or safeguarding the environment, if you analyse the threats to the UK wildlife and environment, there must be far more pressing issues than just pheasants. This is the thin end of the wedge with the ultimate aim to stop field sports. People keep banging on about big bags but I maintain that a lot of pheasants released are on smaller syndicates, the vast majority of sold days are 100 - 300 birds and the very top end 500 birds. I have never seen advertised days of 1,000 - 2,000 pheasants which are apparently commonplace, but I can already hear the detractors of pheasant shooting already; that these days are not sold publicly, special cliques, under the radar etc

countrryboy

Thing is by bags are nothing new, even in the Victorian days by bags were common place.

Not saying I agree with them, just that nothing new.

I rarely shoot at all now too busy working my dogs but even on a so called 'big' day.
Say 10 guns, 5 drives, 400 head, it's only 8 birds per gun per drive, not a massive ammount for wot I a pretty decent sized bag.

Funny how things change quickly 10 or 15 years ago I honestly thought we were winning the PR battle, now with social media and the fact that scientific fact conts for far less than a fictional but catchy headline.

I do agree with Lee, we are completely screwed, the fact that the Voce of shooting had about as much Voce as a ventriquits dummy, it's absolutely f**king useless.
At the moment there actually doing more harm than the anti's, unbelievable really.

JMikeyH

That is the nub, and where driven game bird shooting needs to go - by itself, without being pushed - if it is to have any credibility with the non-shooting voting majority.
If the economics of the industry need to adjust themselves to this reality, so much the better.
Quite agree, this internal debate has been going on for years about big bag days on the pheasants with nothing being done about it, now Wild Justice have seized the opportunity to attack shooting and to be honest they have a point, how much of a point will be revealed by this review

countrryboy

I'm not someone that buys days never mind big bag days ( apart from odd gundog training days or odd 100 bird days off mates at mates rates but never in open market)

30 years ago in my area I don't think it would be even possible to buy a days shooting, most off local estates shooting was run by landowners and invite only.
Now can't think of a landowner shoot left almost all rented out.

Now there is umpteen shoots many shooting close to 100 days a season or more most shots could sell double that if they had enough time/drives etc.
I'm sure my area is behind many areas with commercial shooting getting started but the demand seems to be absolutely massive. And we're a decent days drive from London
So someone must be buying the days or else shoots wouldn't be putting the days on they are.

I do think shooting has grown far to quick for itself, but if folk are literally throwing money at them wot do u expect.
Really don't know how to solve it.

I know some shoots putting down close to 6 figures of birds yet the woods aren't stripped bare, if the habitat or cover crops are right in 1st place, don't get me wrong they are shooting over thousands of acres if not tens of thousands

Uncle f

The problem in my opinion is we can’t as an industry/collective defend releasing thousands and in some other instances hundreds of thousands of non native species for shooting.
It’s obvious we can’t and haven’t for a long time provide a sustainable outlet for all shot birds? So why keep shooting them (Tim hat at the ready). I completely agree that managed shoots and estates provide great wildlife conservation havens and actively encourage passerines, mammals, raptors etc etc by there managed nature. This is fact and also the science supports this, you only have to see last weeks hen harrier news to understand this.

However to the millions of persons on the fence who couldn’t care or have an opinion on shooting, conservation etc then the mouth piece that’s packham (because that’s all he is, Avery is much more dangerous) gets into there front room via the telly or other media and spouts his/there certain agenda nonsense but some of what he/they state is actually the law and there just reminding the authorities to enforce.

We need to counter this with the science that supports how good field sports actually are and what they achieve be it shooting game or stalking deer, falconry ratting etc etc. BASC countryside Alliance et el need to use there influence and counter these arguments properly. But we know they can’t defend the indefensible of tons of non native birds being released for shooting. Just think how bad that statement sounds.
Now I as many others have and still do continue to partake in game shooting but mainly I enjoy working the dog more than the shooting now but when I do have a go it’s on a small walk up day.
I’m not saying pheasant/partridge shooting should stop far from it but we need to get our house in order and project what we do effectively, passionately and above all sustainably. So the millions that are non pluses right now might just be swayed to support or at least understand us.

Cumbrian 1

I can already see the next Wild Justice campaign if we cave in and stop commercial pheasant shooting “Wild Justice calls for a complete ban on pheasant shooting to save the species following a massive decline in numbers” 😂

countrryboy

Uncle f, good post and I agree with it.

But the problem is ur not dealing with rational people, to be perfectly honest to the likes of WJ it doesn't matter wot we do they will just find another aspect to target.
We could give up live shooting and all shoot clays and they'd just target gun ownership.
They simply are not happy with the class system and people owning large areas of land, never mind folk shooting for fun.
I think Cumbrian has it right if we caved in and only shot 'small' days the days would get smaller and smaller till non existent.
That is there final aim

If the above truely mattered to them ( releasing big numbers of non natives) why do they target grouse shooting so much???
100% wild native and sustainable, managing areas that would otherwise either be completely over grazed or growing non native trees

In reality they haven't really targeted pheasant shooting until now.

Conor O'Gorman

Official Member
A very interesting debate around gamebird releasing and which has also been explored a few times recently in articles in BASC's membership magazine 'Shooting and Conservation'

For free access to back copies of BASC's magazine visit: Shooting and Conservation Magazine | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Shame on those of you that have tried to disrupt this discussion to seek to undermine the shooting organisations that are working together on the WJ challenge to suit your own personal vendettas and agendas. You cannot even manage informed constructive criticism - you are simply a disgrace to our community in your self-appointed roles as keyboard warriors on this forum.

As such, I thought the following update may help provide clarity on what the challenge is about and how it has been fought so far for the majority of members of this forum.

The info below is all already in the public domain and has either not been read or deliberately ignored by the few on here that continue their ill informed personal vendettas and agendas - and to which I will say again - you are an absolute disgrace to our community.

21st January 2020

BASC to fight latest Wild Justice attack on shooting

BASC says the latest attack by Wild Justice on shooting is a vexatious attempt to pressure the government into rushing a decision on the legality of gamebird releasing.

Wild Justice has renewed its challenge on releasing gamebirds on Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) and Special Protection Areas (SPA) in England by sending Defra a formal letter before action.

The letter also calls for a ban on the release of gamebirds within 5 kilometres of any SAC or SPA.

Last autumn, Defra responded to the initial challenge by Wild Justice by insisting there would be no change to the legislation around gamebird release and said details of a review would be published ‘in due course’.

BASC previously instructed lawyers to register the association as an ‘interested party’ in any future legal challenge around the release of gamebirds by Wild Justice.

As the UK’s largest shooting organisation, BASC has today repeated that pledge to fight any legal action and to continue briefing supportive MPs and Peers so that they can garner their own assurances from Defra.

Caroline Bedell, BASC’s executive director of conservation, said: “Our members and the wider shooting community should not be panicked by this latest cynical action by Wild Justice.

“This is another direct attack on shooting by Wild Justice, but as long as Defra acts responsibly there should be no cause for concern within the shooting community. Since the original letter BASC and other rural organisations have been working closely with Defra to find a solution."

“This is a short-sighted attack that risks causing long-term damage to environmental protections afforded by the EU Birds and Habitats Directives. The government should not have to be deviating from its work to mitigate vexatious actions by anti-conservation organisations.”

See: BASC to fight latest Wild Justice attack on shooting | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

25th February 2020

No more red tape needed on gamebird releasing, BASC to tell Defra.

BASC will tell Defra there is no need for any more regulation on the release of gamebirds after the government body set out details of a review into the way the release of the birds on protected sites is managed.

The review will look at areas including the number of gamebirds released and their impact on protected sites, the consenting process, and whether further safeguards could be provided to protect sites. There will be no immediate changes for owners or occupiers of land, Defra said.

Caroline Bedell, BASC’s executive director of conservation, said: “As an interested stakeholder, we will be engaging fully with the review. BASC is not aware of any adverse impact arising from the release of game birds that cannot be dealt with within the existing regulatory regime and we will be responding to Defra accordingly."

“We believe in sustainable shooting and we fully support the recommendations on release densities as set out in the Code of Good Shooting Practice.”

UPDATE 26/02/2020

Lawyers for the environmental group Wild Justice have announced that they have sought permission for a judicial review from the courts on Defra’s decision to review (26 January).

Information provided shows that Wild Justice has failed to fast track the process so will have to wait for Defra to form a defence prior to the decision on allowing a judicial review to go forward later in the year.

See: No more red tape needed on gamebird releasing, BASC to tell Defra | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

27th February 2020

BASC fights Wild Justice’s attempt to ban game bird releasing

Not satisfied with their attacks on general licences to control pest species, Wild Justice is now challenging the release of game birds on EU-designated land with a 5km buffer zone. BASC is active in ensuring that the government does not back down to legal threats and has worked with MPs to guarantee the 2020-21 season and defeat this challenge for the future.

The legal challenge

Wild Justice is claiming that Defra is allowing the release of game birds on designated land in breach of the law. Last month, Wild Justice sent Defra a letter before action asking them to halt release on designated land with a 5km buffer zone.

BASC action

Mapped the areas affected and estimated the massive damage halting release would do to the environment, economy and shooting. The results can be seen here.

Briefed the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Shooting and Conservation, for which BASC provides the secretariat, and asked the 163 parliamentarians who are members to take the issue up with Ministers. Click here for more information.
Chief Executive Ian Bell with the chairman, Eoghan Cameron, Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP and Victoria Prentis MP met and briefed Theresa Villers, the Secretary of State for the Environment and demanded a robust response. The Minister promised to issue a statement (see below).

Briefed other politicians at cabinet-level who will raise the issue with Downing Street.

Have mapped all affected constituencies so that MPs are informed of the damage that could be done to their constituencies.

Have registered our intention to be listed as an interested party should the matter ever come to court so that we can make our case before the judge.

Are speaking to newly-appointed Defra ministers to ensure a robust government response.

Result so far:

On 11 February, the Defra Minister responsible for shooting gave a written answer tabled by Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP, Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation. The answer stated:

The Secretary of State will make a statement shortly.

Confirmed in its response to Wild Justice that work on the review is underway and that Defra will announce further details in the coming weeks.

Stated that in Defra’s view it is not reasonable nor realistic to expect any measures to be implemented before summer/autumn 2020.

This means that it is unlikely that there will be any changes to releasing game birds for the 2020-2021 season. BASC is undertaking further work with Natural England and Defra to ensure that releasing on designated sites is robustly underpinned by law and will continue, as it did without damage to the environment on these sites before they were designated.

We will ensure that members are informed of progress.

See: BASC fights Wild Justice’s attempt to ban game bird releasing | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

16th March 2020

Shooting organisations unite for legal battle

Four leading shooting organisations have joined forces to help fight Wild Justice’s latest judicial review against Defra on the legality of releasing gamebirds over designated sites.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), Countryside Alliance, Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation have jointly applied to become interested parties in the proceedings.

Wild Justice claim that releasing birds, even at considerable distance, could damage a European Protected Site (EPS) and that no game bird releasing should be allowed unless an assessment has shown there will be no impact on the area.

A spokesperson for the organisations said: “This case has direct consequences for thousands of our members and supporters who shoot; many of whom are also responsible for the care and management of these sites.

“It is essential that the shooting community involves itself in the proceedings at the earliest possible stage so that we can present a robust, evidence-based case to the court.

“No matter the cost, our voice needs to be heard during the proceedings. And time is of the essence. Many people involved in shooting have already begun preparations for next season which carry significant financial burden.

“The countryside does not operate to the same calendar as the judicial system and it is essential that point is delivered loud and clear to the court. Livelihoods and the health of the countryside are at risk if those making the decisions get this wrong.

“In their attempt to attack shooting, Wild Justice are putting at risk the responsible management, use and enjoyment of the countryside by farmers, land managers and the public at large, as well as endangering the very wildlife and environment which they claim to be interested in protecting.”

See: Shooting organisations unite for legal battle | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

20th March 2020

Shooting organisations granted permission to challenge Wild Justice.

BASC, Countryside Alliance, the Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation have been granted permission by the High Court to each register as a joint interested party in the Wild Justice proceedings against Defra. Permission was granted despite Wild Justice opposing the applications.

Interested party status allows the organisations to take part in the proceedings, view papers and provide evidence to counter the challenge where necessary.

This case will see Wild Justice claim that releasing birds, even at considerable distance, could damage Special Protections Areas (SPAs), Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Ramsar Sites. They will argue that no gamebird releasing should be allowed unless an assessment has shown there will be no impact on such sites.

A spokesperson for the organisations said: “The decision to allow us to become interested parties shows the court’s recognition of the contributions that we can make to the issues being decided and its understanding that any eventual decision could significantly impact our members.

“Judicial reviews can take time, so we advise all members who could be impacted by this challenge to remain up to date with the latest information and feed into the organisations whenever possible.”

See Shooting organisations granted permission to challenge Wild Justice. | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

8th April 2020

Defra asks court to dismiss Wild Justice judicial review

In what is being described as extremely positive news by four leading shooting membership organisations, Defra has described Wild Justice’s judicial review seeking to restrict gamebird releases as ‘vexatious’ and ‘pointless’.

Defra has asked the court to refuse Wild Justice permission to bring the claim and goes further in asking to be awarded its costs.

Defra’s hard-hitting submission is in response to an attempt by Wild Justice to substantially amend their judicial review to ensure that the 2021 release of game birds and the review currently being undertaken by Defra on gamebird releasing is not carried out unlawfully. Defra noted in its submissions to the court that Wild Justice are ‘shooting at the wrong target’ and should be refused permission to amend the judicial review.

A spokesperson for the four shooting membership organisations (BASC, Countryside Alliance, the Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation), who are registered as interested parties in the case, said: “We welcome the fact that the Government has taken such a strong line in resisting this wholesale change of approach from Wild Justice. This judicial review is clearly misdirected in terms of the law and serves no purpose. Resources and expertise should be going towards reviewing gamebird releases, not unnecessary and pointless court cases."

See: Defra asks court to dismiss Wild Justice judicial review | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

24th June 2020

Shooting organisations face up to gamebird release legal threat

BASC, the Countryside Alliance, the Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers Organisation are joining the government in defending a judicial review against the release of gamebirds in and near to designated sites.

The High Court has announced that the case should be heard by the end of October. The substantive work to date by the shooting organisations through representations has meant that this will not impact on shooting this season

As interested parties the shooting organisations will be able to contribute written and oral evidence to the hearing.

A spokesperson for the organisations, said: “The government has made its position clear, yet Wild Justice continue to take actions that necessitate them using valuable time and resources defending a court case at a time of national crisis. We are pleased to stand alongside government in facing down this challenge by this anti-shooting group."

“Due to Coronavirus, there is a massive amount of uncertainty in rural communities and yet Wild Justice continue to push their extremist agenda. We should be under no illusion that this judicial review is yet another excuse for an attack on shooting.”

See: Shooting organisations face up to gamebird release legal threat | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Whether or not you are a BASC member sign up for our weekly newsletter and get informed directly on current policy issues as opposed to reading the misinformation spread by a minority of members on this forum. Then come back and join me in challenging these miscreants on their toxic and damaging misinformation.

To sign up visit: BASC Live | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Last edited:

TURNBOLT

I’ve been slowly chipping away at the information available on all these subjects dear to the hunters hearts.

I’ve come to the conclusion that we’re buggered!

would not surprise me that in the next 30 years, recreational shooting will be gone.

call me what you like, but don’t be surprised when it happens.

I’m very fortunate that I’ve done a hell of a lot of stalking and shooting over the last 20 years, I’m of the opinion I’ve had the best of it and now my keenness for it is dwindling.

Im proud of the lads who are fighting on to protect shooting and I must sound like a dooms day prepper 😂 but I sit and mull things over
With a dram and when you sit there and look at all the stalking pages on social media, public or private and look at all the dead deer and fox on their saying look at what I’ve done aren’t I cleaver!

really it doesn’t look very cleaver does it and all that does is add fuel to the fire!

Really if you want to save the game shooting and stalking, in my opinion shut down the social media pages, go covert.

go back to how it was 15-20 years ago, quiet and discreet

Now off to hide in my dooms day bunker to find my Tin hat and flack jacked to prepare for incoming 🙈😂
30 years for recreational shooting! I truly hope you right but I think that is very optimistic.

Finch

Shame on those of you that have tried to disrupt this discussion to seek to undermine the shooting organisations that are working together on the WJ challenge to suit your own personal vendettas and agendas. You cannot even manage informed constructive criticism - you are simply a disgrace to our community in your self-appointed roles as keyboard warriors on this forum.
I can't see who this could be aimed at. I see no vendettas or personal agendas, just a variety of opinions - with which you may agree or disagree - from people concerned for the future of shooting, and equally, for the welfare of wildlife and the countryside.

If you mean those who have been vociferous in their criticism of the way BASC and other shooting organisations representing the shooting community, I'm afraid that goes with the territory when they're paying subs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Uncle f

Shame on you BASC for that reply. There’s a lot on here including me who are currently BASC members and have been for many years. Be very careful what and how you say things as you may well need need us in the coming months!!! I see no agendas here. Just some views and opinions that you may/may not like or agree with BUT how dare you criticise the membership on here for there views. Perhaps if you read and listened to the posts and also while we’re on that subject perhaps answer some of my emails that I’ve sent over the years then you may just come out of the mill bubble and understand what we’re all seeing and experiencing in the real world of field sports!!!!

Bloody cheek

kes

A very interesting debate around gamebird releasing and which has also been explored a few times recently in articles in BASC's membership magazine 'Shooting and Conservation'

For free access to back copies of BASC's magazine visit: Shooting and Conservation Magazine | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

As such, I thought the following update may help provide clarity on what the challenge is about and how it has been fought so far for the majority of members of this forum.

The info below is all already in the public domain and has either not been read or deliberately ignored by the few on here that continue their ill informed personal vendettas and agendas - and to which I will say again - you are an absolute disgrace to our community.

21st January 2020

BASC to fight latest Wild Justice attack on shooting

BASC says the latest attack by Wild Justice on shooting is a vexatious attempt to pressure the government into rushing a decision on the legality of gamebird releasing.

Wild Justice has renewed its challenge on releasing gamebirds on Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) and Special Protection Areas (SPA) in England by sending Defra a formal letter before action.

The letter also calls for a ban on the release of gamebirds within 5 kilometres of any SAC or SPA.

Last autumn, Defra responded to the initial challenge by Wild Justice by insisting there would be no change to the legislation around gamebird release and said details of a review would be published ‘in due course’.

BASC previously instructed lawyers to register the association as an ‘interested party’ in any future legal challenge around the release of gamebirds by Wild Justice.

As the UK’s largest shooting organisation, BASC has today repeated that pledge to fight any legal action and to continue briefing supportive MPs and Peers so that they can garner their own assurances from Defra.

Caroline Bedell, BASC’s executive director of conservation, said: “Our members and the wider shooting community should not be panicked by this latest cynical action by Wild Justice.

“This is another direct attack on shooting by Wild Justice, but as long as Defra acts responsibly there should be no cause for concern within the shooting community. Since the original letter BASC and other rural organisations have been working closely with Defra to find a solution."

“This is a short-sighted attack that risks causing long-term damage to environmental protections afforded by the EU Birds and Habitats Directives. The government should not have to be deviating from its work to mitigate vexatious actions by anti-conservation organisations.”

See: BASC to fight latest Wild Justice attack on shooting | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

25th February 2020

No more red tape needed on gamebird releasing, BASC to tell Defra.

BASC will tell Defra there is no need for any more regulation on the release of gamebirds after the government body set out details of a review into the way the release of the birds on protected sites is managed.

The review will look at areas including the number of gamebirds released and their impact on protected sites, the consenting process, and whether further safeguards could be provided to protect sites. There will be no immediate changes for owners or occupiers of land, Defra said.

Caroline Bedell, BASC’s executive director of conservation, said: “As an interested stakeholder, we will be engaging fully with the review. BASC is not aware of any adverse impact arising from the release of game birds that cannot be dealt with within the existing regulatory regime and we will be responding to Defra accordingly."

“We believe in sustainable shooting and we fully support the recommendations on release densities as set out in the Code of Good Shooting Practice.”

UPDATE 26/02/2020

Lawyers for the environmental group Wild Justice have announced that they have sought permission for a judicial review from the courts on Defra’s decision to review (26 January).

Information provided shows that Wild Justice has failed to fast track the process so will have to wait for Defra to form a defence prior to the decision on allowing a judicial review to go forward later in the year.

See: No more red tape needed on gamebird releasing, BASC to tell Defra | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

27th February 2020

BASC fights Wild Justice’s attempt to ban game bird releasing

Not satisfied with their attacks on general licences to control pest species, Wild Justice is now challenging the release of game birds on EU-designated land with a 5km buffer zone. BASC is active in ensuring that the government does not back down to legal threats and has worked with MPs to guarantee the 2020-21 season and defeat this challenge for the future.

The legal challenge

Wild Justice is claiming that Defra is allowing the release of game birds on designated land in breach of the law. Last month, Wild Justice sent Defra a letter before action asking them to halt release on designated land with a 5km buffer zone.

BASC action

Mapped the areas affected and estimated the massive damage halting release would do to the environment, economy and shooting. The results can be seen here.

Briefed the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Shooting and Conservation, for which BASC provides the secretariat, and asked the 163 parliamentarians who are members to take the issue up with Ministers. Click here for more information.
Chief Executive Ian Bell with the chairman, Eoghan Cameron, Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP and Victoria Prentis MP met and briefed Theresa Villers, the Secretary of State for the Environment and demanded a robust response. The Minister promised to issue a statement (see below).

Briefed other politicians at cabinet-level who will raise the issue with Downing Street.

Have mapped all affected constituencies so that MPs are informed of the damage that could be done to their constituencies.

Have registered our intention to be listed as an interested party should the matter ever come to court so that we can make our case before the judge.

Are speaking to newly-appointed Defra ministers to ensure a robust government response.

Result so far:

On 11 February, the Defra Minister responsible for shooting gave a written answer tabled by Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP, Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation. The answer stated:

The Secretary of State will make a statement shortly.

Confirmed in its response to Wild Justice that work on the review is underway and that Defra will announce further details in the coming weeks.

Stated that in Defra’s view it is not reasonable nor realistic to expect any measures to be implemented before summer/autumn 2020.

This means that it is unlikely that there will be any changes to releasing game birds for the 2020-2021 season. BASC is undertaking further work with Natural England and Defra to ensure that releasing on designated sites is robustly underpinned by law and will continue, as it did without damage to the environment on these sites before they were designated.

We will ensure that members are informed of progress.

See: BASC fights Wild Justice’s attempt to ban game bird releasing | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

16th March 2020

Shooting organisations unite for legal battle

Four leading shooting organisations have joined forces to help fight Wild Justice’s latest judicial review against Defra on the legality of releasing gamebirds over designated sites.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), Countryside Alliance, Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation have jointly applied to become interested parties in the proceedings.

Wild Justice claim that releasing birds, even at considerable distance, could damage a European Protected Site (EPS) and that no game bird releasing should be allowed unless an assessment has shown there will be no impact on the area.

A spokesperson for the organisations said: “This case has direct consequences for thousands of our members and supporters who shoot; many of whom are also responsible for the care and management of these sites.

“It is essential that the shooting community involves itself in the proceedings at the earliest possible stage so that we can present a robust, evidence-based case to the court.

“No matter the cost, our voice needs to be heard during the proceedings. And time is of the essence. Many people involved in shooting have already begun preparations for next season which carry significant financial burden.

“The countryside does not operate to the same calendar as the judicial system and it is essential that point is delivered loud and clear to the court. Livelihoods and the health of the countryside are at risk if those making the decisions get this wrong.

“In their attempt to attack shooting, Wild Justice are putting at risk the responsible management, use and enjoyment of the countryside by farmers, land managers and the public at large, as well as endangering the very wildlife and environment which they claim to be interested in protecting.”

See: Shooting organisations unite for legal battle | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

20th March 2020

Shooting organisations granted permission to challenge Wild Justice.

BASC, Countryside Alliance, the Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation have been granted permission by the High Court to each register as a joint interested party in the Wild Justice proceedings against Defra. Permission was granted despite Wild Justice opposing the applications.

Interested party status allows the organisations to take part in the proceedings, view papers and provide evidence to counter the challenge where necessary.

This case will see Wild Justice claim that releasing birds, even at considerable distance, could damage Special Protections Areas (SPAs), Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Ramsar Sites. They will argue that no gamebird releasing should be allowed unless an assessment has shown there will be no impact on such sites.

A spokesperson for the organisations said: “The decision to allow us to become interested parties shows the court’s recognition of the contributions that we can make to the issues being decided and its understanding that any eventual decision could significantly impact our members.

“Judicial reviews can take time, so we advise all members who could be impacted by this challenge to remain up to date with the latest information and feed into the organisations whenever possible.”

See Shooting organisations granted permission to challenge Wild Justice. | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

8th April 2020

Defra asks court to dismiss Wild Justice judicial review

In what is being described as extremely positive news by four leading shooting membership organisations, Defra has described Wild Justice’s judicial review seeking to restrict gamebird releases as ‘vexatious’ and ‘pointless’.

Defra has asked the court to refuse Wild Justice permission to bring the claim and goes further in asking to be awarded its costs.

Defra’s hard-hitting submission is in response to an attempt by Wild Justice to substantially amend their judicial review to ensure that the 2021 release of game birds and the review currently being undertaken by Defra on gamebird releasing is not carried out unlawfully. Defra noted in its submissions to the court that Wild Justice are ‘shooting at the wrong target’ and should be refused permission to amend the judicial review.

A spokesperson for the four shooting membership organisations (BASC, Countryside Alliance, the Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation), who are registered as interested parties in the case, said: “We welcome the fact that the Government has taken such a strong line in resisting this wholesale change of approach from Wild Justice. This judicial review is clearly misdirected in terms of the law and serves no purpose. Resources and expertise should be going towards reviewing gamebird releases, not unnecessary and pointless court cases."

See: Defra asks court to dismiss Wild Justice judicial review | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

24th June 2020

Shooting organisations face up to gamebird release legal threat

BASC, the Countryside Alliance, the Game Farmers’ Association and the National Gamekeepers Organisation are joining the government in defending a judicial review against the release of gamebirds in and near to designated sites.

The High Court has announced that the case should be heard by the end of October. The substantive work to date by the shooting organisations through representations has meant that this will not impact on shooting this season

As interested parties the shooting organisations will be able to contribute written and oral evidence to the hearing.

A spokesperson for the organisations, said: “The government has made its position clear, yet Wild Justice continue to take actions that necessitate them using valuable time and resources defending a court case at a time of national crisis. We are pleased to stand alongside government in facing down this challenge by this anti-shooting group."

“Due to Coronavirus, there is a massive amount of uncertainty in rural communities and yet Wild Justice continue to push their extremist agenda. We should be under no illusion that this judicial review is yet another excuse for an attack on shooting.”

See: Shooting organisations face up to gamebird release legal threat | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Whether or not you are a BASC member sign up for our weekly newsletter and get informed directly on current policy issues as opposed to reading the misinformation spread by a minority of members on this forum. Then come back and join me in challenging these miscreants on their toxic and damaging misinformation.

To sign up visit: BASC Live | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation
I am surprised - bit of an outburst at the start - as for any agendas - in my case and i suspect many others - merely to protect the future of shooting as it would seem no-one else is doing an effective job.
I dont want to argue with you and I am biting my lip here but nice advert ????!!

Roestalker39

Shame on you BASC for that reply. There’s a lot on here including me who are currently BASC members and have been for many years. Be very careful what and how you say things as you may well need need us in the coming months!!! I see no agendas here. Just some views and opinions that you may/may not like or agree with BUT how dare you criticise the membership on here for there views. Perhaps if you read and listened to the posts and also while we’re on that subject perhaps answer some of my emails that I’ve sent over the years then you may just come out of the mill bubble and understand what we’re all seeing and experiencing in the real world of field sports!!!!

Bloody cheek
And that’s the voice for you im afraid ..... hence why myself and many others are no longer members

Uncle f

So Mr O’Gorman. I find it odd that you now are posting more and more about various BASC this (such as your thread about steel shot try days arranged by BASC and the cartridge manufacturers no doubt). Call me a cynic but all of a sudden you require the assistance of the stalking community and those members on here? Is this perhaps that now WJ are looking at attacking the branch of the shootingsports you care more about than anything else? And your counter argument as has been highlighted is frankly indefensible!!!!!

Where have BASC been with regards to Medical fees’s 10 Year Cerys etc. Things that matter to us a community along with pheasant/partridge shooting?

I await

Redleg

Redleg, thank you for posting, very interesting, was Kerry supposed to be neutral in this process? Obviously a one sided discussion.
I believe it was a government minister explaining why the petition had not been debated in the house.
It then turns into the minister giving her personal view early on.
Then its a CP lecture full of untruths and misinformation once again going unchallenged.
There is no common ground they want an outright ban..!
What i would like to know is;
  • When and Where did wild justice reach out to the shooting community (Twice)?
  • Who in the shooting community did they reach out to?
  • Who in the shooting community chopped their hand off twice?

Last edited: