Wanted: just turned 19 and desperate for a chance as an under/beat/trainee stalker/gamekeeper

Hello all,

my name is Stewart,

I live in Angus county, Scotland at the present moment in time, I absolutely love stalking to bits, I have experience working on stalking estates, serving as a ghillie for 2 seasons and the main species being managed on those estates is red deer, I also have experience with grouse, partridge and pheasants. I have my Firearms and Shotgun Licence, and also have a clean driving license and have been passed for 2 years. Recently turned 19 years old, looking for a start as an Estate under/beat/trainee stalker/gamekeeper preferably, but would strongly consider other opportunities in Deer management if seen advertised or offered, prepared to move to any location for a chance in this line of work !!!

I have a CV with great references

Last edited:
Stewart. Experience is a great asset but in todays world qualifications are sought by most employers. You don't mention qualifications in your post but at 19 and wishing to pursue a career in gamekeeping, stalking I would be getting myself into one of the colleges and gaining the bits of paper.

Absolutely. Health and safety in the workplace, courses for quad bikes, chainsaws, food handling, DSC1, DSC2 etc. etc. all help to push you up the ladder of applicants and in many cases are needed, so going down the student route is a must.

What may well set you apart though is experience. If you go to one of the colleges they'll provide some of that, but to get some off your own bat not only gives you experience, but shows how motivated you are and that you have initiative. Get into local shoots in the area, do some beating, get to know the gamekeepers and offer your services. Initially it'll probably be nothing with much responsibility, odd jobs, a bit of feeding or whatever, but as you gain their confidence, things will develop. It's a bit harder getting the stalking experience, but not impossible using the above methods.

As with many jobs these days, there'll be lots of competition for every one and you need as much of an edge as you can get. Perhaps at 19 you hope to see a job, apply and get it and you're off! You may be that lucky, but if not, then set yourself a plan. Mark out over the next five years what you want to achieve and how you're going to achieve it. Stick to that and if you can bring that up in an interview you could really impress.

Good luck!

Hello all,

my name is Stewart,

I live in Angus county, Scotland at the present moment in time, I absolutely love stalking to bits, I have experience working on stalking estates, serving as a ghillie for 2 seasons and the main species being managed on those estates is red deer, I also have experience with grouse, partridge and pheasants. I have my Firearms and Shotgun Licence, and also have a clean driving license and have been passed for 2 years. Recently turned 19 years old, looking for a start as an Estate under/beat/trainee stalker/gamekeeper preferably, but would strongly consider other opportunities in Deer management if seen advertised or offered, prepared to move to any location for a chance in this line of work !!!

I have a CV with great references
thurso college mate, am doing HNC there the now and it's probably the best college in Scotland for the course, if u get your own placement you will be guaranteed a place on the course

Stewart,

Send me a private message with your contact number if your interested in a students placement, we will be starting another student this coming year.

Back