Just watched an accident in slow motion.

Bavarianbrit

I was just up at my pals big composting business dropping off our grass cuttings when a VW UP drove in to dump off his stuff but he went in and parked just behind the 400 hp shovel machine, my pal was in the cab of this and did not see him then he reversed back over the front end of the UP, no one was injured except for their pride but hey, sh??t happens. Do be careful out there.

Alantoo

I was just up at my pals big composting business dropping off our grass cuttings when a VW UP drove in to dump off his stuff but he went in and parked just behind the 400 hp shovel machine, my pal was in the cab of this and did not see him then he reversed back over the front end of the UP, no one was injured except for their pride but hey, sh??t happens. Do be careful out there.

Ouch.

I fill, turn and empty the bins at the local community composting scheme in the little telehandler...people sneaking around behind are a nightmare. Whatever I do with locked gates, men at work signs and bollards I still break out in a cold sweat when I catch sight of somebody suddenly popping up behind me.

I am concentrating on the grab at the front, and most people are not aware of the four wheel steer turning radius, let alone making sure I have seen them before they enter the yard.

Alan

Mossypaw

Used to drive a twenty ton shovel for work. Never hit anyone, but have been driven into a few times. One woman drove into the corner of the bucket, reversed, then hit it again ! o_O

Woodsmoke

I used to drive coaches for a living, so witnessing accidents was quite commonplace. I remember once being halfway along a narrow winding street, when some idiot pulled out of a side road and we ended up nose to nose. I couldn't reverse, as you can imagine, and all she had to do was pull back in to see us both on our way. She refused, and gave me some serious attitude. So we ended up in a kind of Mexican stand-off for about ten minutes. Finally she saw sense, called me a few names, and got back in her car. In a temper, she selected first instead of reverse, and wrote her car off under the front of the wagon :lol::lol::lol:

Jools

I used to work in concrete plants and quarries driving FEL's. People just don't realise that you can't see them no matter how many mirrors you have. Once had someone park a Corsa van into the shovel whilst I was stationary. I had no idea it was there . That would have taken some explaining 😗

Bavarianbrit

He told me afterwards that he had commented just this morning of how after 30 years of customers on site he had never had an accident. Then that happened, EXPLAIN that?

SimpleSimon

The farm where I used to work had groups of students coming and going through the yard most days. They would walk directly in front or behind of a moving tractor without a care in the world 🤯

The bosses kids, on the other hand, knew that the ONLY way to get from one side of the yard to the other was to walk round the outside!

Mossypaw

I loaded sand for four years, Note to Self look behind and in the mirrors before switching to reverse. EVERY time. Same with a fork truck!
Most now come with cameras, select reverse -rear camera comes up on the screen. Turn on an indicator - Side camera comes up. All being recorded by the black box and available to the boss/manufacturer by telemetry. No more blind spots.

Tom270

Folk seem to have very little spatial awareness these days and even less risk awareness. There seems to be a reducing level of self preservation. Its not just driving, cycling no helmet, getting children out of the car on the traffic side simple stuff I just don't get it.

Bavarianbrit

Most now come with cameras, select reverse -rear camera comes up on the screen. Turn on an indicator - Side camera comes up. All being recorded by the black box and available to the boss/manufacturer by telemetry. No more blind spots.
He has a very dusty area where he works he would need to clean the camera lens multi times daily. Maybe he will segregate in future so that small vehicle delivery garden refuse can only be in one area then he closes it off before moving the mass onto the big rotting piles.

Shabz

Myself and a pal took some stuff to the tip in my Caddy van. When I eventually pulled up to unload, the guy comes over and says ‘no vans allowed’. I sarcastically told him that they could probably put up a sign and he told me that I’d driven past four of them. Sure enough they were all there when I looked for them on the way out!

Daddy The Skunk

This is the exact reason while working we never ever park anyplace but on the drivers side of the unit and in the front were we can be seen. Radio contact with feedback if we do anything else followed by operator out of cab. Some people will be able to hit anything given the chance.