Keep seeing lead ban mentioned in regard to bullets. So .............................

Brithunter

The big question is how will the Police Firearms Licensing cope when the 6mm/243 that is currently regarded as the minimum then becomes impossible to use due to the bullets not being stabilised in the bore and so inhumane due to not being able to hit the side of a barn?

Scotland of course would be hugely effected due to their some what daft rules and requiring a minimum of 100 grains for all but Roe Deer.

This could be interesting indeed . :lol:

Answers on a Post card Please!

news of the world

The big question is how will the Police Firearms Licensing cope when the 6mm/243 that is currently regarded as the minimum then becomes impossible to use due to the bullets not being stabilised in the bore and so inhumane due to not being able to hit the side of a barn?

Scotland of course would be hugely effected due to their some what daft rules and requiring a minimum of 100 grains for all but Roe Deer.

This could be interesting indeed . :lol:

Answers on a Post card Please!
Simples!
The Police Firearms will implement any changes in the law.
However should that mean that all 6mm rifles become obsolete due to the unobtainable 100gn non toxic bullet then surely there has to be compensation just as there was with the handguns.

1066kieran

There was no compensation for large bore foreshore gunners after ban there. Bullets will be avaliable just at horrendous cost same as non toxic Damascus friendly.

urx

if you check out the ravings of the SNP you will see private ownership of firearms for any purpose is something they have decided to attack.
side effects of rulings on materials etc will be welcomed by these nutters

User00001

The smart guys are already preempting this, those that aren't may be ok or they may get stuck with rifles of limited use and very limited value. If anyone thinks that there will be any compensation then dream on! At least a .243 is very easy to convert to 7mm -08 or .308 which are the obvious choices.

Brithunter

The smart guys are already preempting this, those that aren't may be ok or they may get stuck with rifles of limited use and very limited value. If anyone thinks that there will be any compensation then dream on! At least a .243 is very easy to convert to 7mm -08 or .308 which are the obvious choices.

I gather you have priced up a be-barrel job recently then?

I wonder how many would be willing to or could really afford the £400-£800 extra for a re-barrel?

Sharpie

I understand lead either already is, or will be, banned on Forestry Commission ground.

I hear they are using .270 with a Barnes bullet, not sure of details.

Whether lead is completely banned or not, it would be sensible to own a rifle that can use the alternatives and remain deer-legal, particularly if it may need to be used for contract work.

Just as it would be irrational to buy a new shotgun which was not proofed for steel.

User00026

police will still be forcing people down the .243 route, not understanding they're not deer legal with solids! LOL...oh deer..

Paul at Fechan

I understand lead either already is, or will be, banned on Forestry Commission ground.

I hear they are using .270 with a Barnes bullet, not sure of details.

Whether lead is completely banned or not, it would be sensible to own a rifle that can use the alternatives and remain deer-legal, particularly if it may need to be used for contract work.

Just as it would be irrational to buy a new shotgun which was not proofed for steel.

FC have knocked the lead free bullets plan on the head for the moment. Safety concerns

news of the world

HA! are they saying they normally don't use a safe backstop? as I personally can't see what 'safety' concerns that might be!

Safety concerns are simple, these type of bullets are prone to richocet's even after going through a thin skinned deer.
I have had several richocet's from my 25-06 using 75gn barnes x after they have exited roe.
Theres a youtube clip showing the unpredictable exit when using these type of bullets which are nearly 100% BWR.
I am not happy with the thought that a shot that in my opinion was perfectly safe with conventional lead core is going to be dangerous when using non toxic,also the thought of a considerable lump of copper zinging off into the distance, even after it has exited an animal fills me with dread.

Brithunter

Picked it up last week!

Congrats .................................................... however many will not be willing of perhaps able to do the same.

Of course we can sure that if this does come about that the cost of re-barrelling all these will suddenly not go up after all we are in the UK which is so well known for it's fair pricing.

User00026

Safety concerns are simple, these type of bullets are prone to richocet's even after going through a thin skinned deer.
I have had several richocet's from my 25-06 using 75gn barnes x after they have exited roe.
Theres a youtube clip showing the unpredictable exit when using these type of bullets which are nearly 100% BWR.
I am not happy with the thought that a shot that in my opinion was perfectly safe with conventional lead core is going to be dangerous when using non toxic,also the thought of a considerable lump of copper zinging off into the distance, even after it has exited an animal fills me with dread.

ok, fair point, but we're realistically only assuming the bullet 'might' hit a rock then, can't see what else might cause a ricochet,,or a gravel path type area, but you wouldn't shoot 'into' that of course.

urx

2 general observations re bullets
1/ they can do some really wierd s**t
2/ if you dont think its possible then see point 1

CWMMAN3738

This will be another government cock up with people needing bigger calibres than nessasary in order to be legal, I have some BARNES X for my 375 H&H and weren't overly impressed with them when I tried them on reds & boar last year. One fragmented & left very sharp shards of copper in the meat far away from the shot area.

Claret_Dabbler

Funny that. I have some Barnes TSX's in 120gr 6.5 on route from the states. It will be interesting to see how they go.