Knife sharpener...

Tree Doctor

I think I have found a good tip for sharpening knifes in the field and the cheapest just use a chainsaw round file, sharpens your blades a treat and can also do the gut hook...

VSS

I use the blade tech tool, brill bit of kit and it fits in your pocket.

I got one of these too, but have to admit I'm not getting the results I expected. Bit disapointed, to be honest.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Any tips for disgruntled users, ems bach?

Glendine

The method I employ is to use a wet stone. I soak the stone in water first for a five minutes or so. I use the wet stone to set the correct angle on the knife and then use a steel to align the edge.

I carry a ceramic rod in the field for a quick sharpen.

Regards,
Glendine.

jewfish

Me personly thinking why would you need to sharpen your knifes in the field? Firstly your knifes should be sharp before you leave home, if your knife is starting to go blunt during the gralloc then your knife is not up to the job! This is where a good knifes made with a good steel comes into its own. Don't get me wrong not every body can afford a nice custom knife so the answer there is carry a sharp spare knife, why **** about trying to sharpen your knife in the field,

Dougster

I got one of these too, but have to admit I'm not getting the results I expected. Bit disapointed, to be honest.

If you google them you'll find a lot of people saying the same thing. Throw it away is probably the best advice with these.

As for why to sharpen in the field.... I have done three deer in the larder with one knife once, from field to quartered for the farmer. I was glad of my DC4 even though I had a knife of RWL34.

Glendine

Jewfish I understand what your saying and in normal use I never have to sharpen a knife in the field. However three times a year I cull in parks where I will be using a knife on up to 30 deer in one day.
No matter what kind of steel you have in your knife it will require a touch up on a large cull.

Regards,
Glendine.

philip

DC4 appears to be just right for a little toot up on the blade I have with a splash of smurf poo on a little strop when out in the field if needed, the real answer is to buy a quality steel blade, if you're stalking with a tally of a couple of deer if your lucks in per day.

If your culling use a ten bob shrinker, keep it sharp, when worn, find another use for it. Then buy a load more, cheap as chips

A Quality Blade should be fine, I like to keep mine in tip top condition whenever and wherever it's required, dull blades cause cuts, ( I can confirm by first hand experience ). :rofl: blunt knives hurt, sharp ones you don't feel the cut until the red stuff turns up. Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!

Atb

Phil

ems bach

all Ican tell you is to get the angle rite and should do the job, also use it little and offten don't let the blade get to blunt.
in my experience with it I have had no trouble with it. hope that helps you vss.

VSS

Thanks for the tips.

btw, are you the same ems bach who used to live in Nefyn area, then went as keeper to Broom Hall?

Tree Doctor

Well I thought it was a good idea at the time,I am shooting a lot of beasts when I am out and need to sharpen quite regularly, I know it's a good thing to have a top notch sharpener at hand but if I had one I would probably lose it!!!

weeman

I carry a blade tech, it took me a while too get decent results. You have to apply your knife through the V on 45degre angle with a little pressure. Don't try holding your knife still the sliding the blade tec over your edge it doesnr work. In field best to rest the sharpener on a stump or against a tree hold firmly then like said little pressure swipe away, you can feel and here the knife sharpen. Of course mines tip top when I leave the house a
then if need to sharpen in field I don't need more than three swipes through the blade tech to bring it back up to stadards. On average ill complete 4 deer in gralloching lower legs off and heads off before a swipe occurs. That roe like not beasty reds.

Taff

tree doctor you made me cringe :D , for gut hook they work ok, but I prefer a stone for the main blade, I sharpen before I go, and usually only need to touch up on the 5th deer of the day, you don,t have to spend a fortune to get a good knife.

Glendine

you don,t have to spend a fortune to get a good knife.[/QUOTE]

IMHO outdoor edge / Mora are the best value for money.

Glendine.

UK Outfitters