Kuiu for extremely cold weather

Highseater

Does anyone have any experience with Kuiu clothing in very cold and wet weather? How do you layer up? Down jackets as a second layer, topped by one of there waterproof jackets?

Not very cold, but -5 Celsius last season. One or two layers of 125 merino, Kenai hoody topped off with superdown pro. If it was wet as well, I’d have probably gone home :lol:. Or chucked a Yukon over the top. For the bottom half, I just user an outer layer trouser like the attack and put the super down pro trousers over the top.

This is all with light walking/high seat. I’d take the down off for anything else. Pit zips work a treat

A second layer of merino seems to make a big difference, for me at least.

In my opinion extremely cold and wet are not possible together... if its extremely cold its therefore dry as its icy or snowy so might be best to provide a few more parameters of temps you are talking about. 👍🏻

If you can be fairly sure you won’t get wet then down is good (with a protective outer layer unless it’s a strong jacket) but I wouldn’t risk getting it wet! Even the new hydrophobic stuff won’t repel water forever.

Synthetic is the way to go as it’ll retain warmth when wet. It won’t compress down as small as down will but for me, the peace of mind is worth having (knowing I’ll be warmish if it buckets it down!)

Carinthia gear is very good as well, for what it’s worth!

The last time I was stalking I had a Rab down jacket with Kuiu Yukon jacket on the top, On the bottom I had normal walking trousers and Yukon Pants and stayed warm and dry the whole day, It wasnt Freezing temperatures but the wind was cold up on the hills, I rate the Yukon gear but not the Guide gear, The Guide trousers and Jacket I would say are at best for cold summer nights. I have recently bought the Kenai Jacket but not had a chance to wear it yet.

In my opinion extremely cold and wet are not possible together... if its extremely cold its therefore dry as its icy or snowy so might be best to provide a few more parameters of temps you are talking about. 👍🏻
Kamchatka can be minus 15/20C around that time of the year. Additional snow may fall anytime. However, being sat on a snow scooter looking for signs of moose, means you are also exposed to wind. Rain is less likely but you never know.

If you can be fairly sure you won’t get wet then down is good (with a protective outer layer unless it’s a strong jacket) but I wouldn’t risk getting it wet! Even the new hydrophobic stuff won’t repel water forever.

Synthetic is the way to go as it’ll retain warmth when wet. It won’t compress down as small as down will but for me, the peace of mind is worth having (knowing I’ll be warmish if it buckets it down!)

Carinthia gear is very good as well, for what it’s worth!
Thanks, I actually didn’t consider my Carinthia jacket. That’s indeed very warm but bulky to transport.

Not very cold, but -5 Celsius last season. One or two layers of 125 merino, Kenai hoody topped off with superdown pro. If it was wet as well, I’d have probably gone home :lol:. Or chucked a Yukon over the top. For the bottom half, I just user an outer layer trouser like the attack and put the super down pro trousers over the top.

This is all with light walking/high seat. I’d take the down off for anything else. Pit zips work a treat

A second layer of merino seems to make a big difference, for me at least.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking about Kenai + Superdown Pro + Yukon. I reckon I would need to go 1 size up on the Yukon?

Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking about Kenai + Superdown Pro + Yukon. I reckon I would need to go 1 size up on the Yukon?
My Yukon (XL) is one size up from what I normally wear (L). The Yukon is an outer layer fit. The XL Yukon fits over the L superdown pro jacket perfectly. No compression of the down so it remains effective insulation

the Kuiu katana gale force may be worth a look. I don’t have anything from this range. I imagine the seperate down and waterproof layer will be a bit more versatile though

My Yukon (XL) is one size up from what I normally wear (L). The Yukon is an outer layer fit. The XL Yukon fits over the L superdown pro jacket perfectly. No compression of the down so it remains effective insulation

the Kuiu katana gale force may be worth a look. I don’t have anything from this range. I imagine the seperate down and waterproof layer will be a bit more versatile though
Lovely, thanks. My preference would also be superdown pro + Yukon. What would you recommend underneath the superdown pro as a mid layer? Kenai vest, Peloton 240,...?

I bought a kenai vest recently. I haven’t worn it stalking, but worn it on plenty of local walks and around the house. Love it. Seems to help regulate temperature well.

I have have a 200 pro merino zip T for a mid layer, but I prefer two layers of 125 merino personally. I can take one layer off then if need be.

The kuiu regular merino is quite delicate in my view though. Just something to be mindful of

I really rate the chinook range as an outer layer or extra insulation layer. I probably wear this range the most. They stopped making it though. I’m not sure what the equivalent range is

I bought a kenai vest recently. I haven’t worn it stalking, but worn it on plenty of local walks and around the house. Love it. Seems to help regulate temperature well.

I have have a 200 pro merino zip T for a mid layer, but I prefer two layers of 125 merino personally. I can take one layer off then if need be.

The kuiu regular merino is quite delicate in my view though. Just something to be mindful of

I really rate the chinook range as an outer layer or extra insulation layer. I probably wear this range the most. They stopped making it though. I’m not sure what the equivalent range is
Thanks a lot. I’m afraid I’m not a big fan of merino as a first layer. For some reason my skin doesn’t respond positively to the feel. I use the Peloton longsleeves instead.

I found the Yukon big fitting to fit over guide or down jackets
I found it a bit too much if I am honest and was not a fan of the cuffs
The down Kuiu and Sitka use will be over what we need in the U.K. at the top end as they are made for being still in temps we don’t get
I have a bit of Kuiu and Fjallraven kit and love it. But I think I would go for a lighter weight for use in the U.K. rather than top end - can see walking anywhere cooking you and plenty of options from Rab, Arc’teryx and Filson available in the U.K. may be a cheaper useable option
That said - I have stuff from them I could of bought alternatives for and didn’t ha

Back