L200 apparently a common problem

Word of warning to all L200 owner if you hear bubbling water when you switch of your engine or have problem with your heating get it checked at garage as the radiator collapses in the inside then takes out your cylinder head gasket, mine is a new shape with 50 000 on the clock you could buy yourself a few days on the hill on stags with ponies and accommodation with the bill I got !!!!!

nicky-hoskins

I had the same trouble with mine when I turned it of and that cost a fortune the garage wanted 2500 to fix it so i brought a new head everything and it only cost me 650 to do with a friend of mine. But with l200 thats a common fault so i never have 1 again it all be a hilux next time

Ranger22

The classic shape you and I have were/are prone to it. People take the EGR off and that seems to stop any problems like these. Mine has 112000 on the clock and has shown no signs of any failure and it still has the EGR on it. Didn't know that the new shape were having these problems. Wonder what the cause is?

57 plate new shape and I've had it since it had 14 thousand . The cause is a failing in the radiator which then causes the cylinder head gasket to blow and funny enough the new gasket is twice as thick . What a surprise! !!

Last edited:

Norrie1956

The head gasket problem is well known to Mitsibishi, they are on head gasket Mk3 for repairs now....I had to scrap my L200 cos of that fault, the head gasket on mine went half way over the Penines last year, and no phone signal, so had to drive 20 miles with a cooking engine..it cracked the head, AND the block between cylinders 3 and 4, so it went to Kent on a trailer to be exported......I will NEVER buy another L200 again, my mate bought a 55 plate last week, guess what, he'd hardly done 500 miles in it, the head gasket went!!! Funny enough, I used to have a 3lt V6 petrol Challenger( Shogun Sport) fantastic engines, tho, a tad heavy on fuel, had it for over 6 years, and never a problem with it at all, the body rusted to nothing right enough....:)

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
The head gasket problem is well known to Mitsibishi, they are on head gasket Mk3 for repairs now....I had to scrap my L200 cos of that fault, the head gasket on mine went half way over the Penines last year, and no phone signal, so had to drive 20 miles with a cooking engine..it cracked the head, AND the block between cylinders 3 and 4, so it went to Kent on a trailer to be exported......I will NEVER buy another L200 again, my mate bought a 55 plate last week, guess what, he'd hardly done 500 miles in it, the head gasket went!!! Funny enough, I used to have a 3lt V6 petrol Challenger( Shogun Sport) fantastic engines, tho, a tad heavy on fuel, had it for over 6 years, and never a problem with it at all, the body rusted to nothing right enough....:)
Norrie
what sort of bill did you mate pay for the repair ?
regards pete

rodp

They've all got "known" faults, they just never seem to be public. When I killed the Yota 3ltr td I later found it suffered a known fault that Toyota had denied for years. They designed the rad so the oil cooler blocked the outlet :doh:

Gone back to land Rover now, at least the parts are dirt cheap. Wouldn't have another Jap if you gave me one.

chinky

Had a 58 plate l200 and it used to blow the turbo hose off at one point, took it to mitz and they tightened hose up which I said I had already done. I spoke to Tech who said that u had to wrench it right up to me it looked that tight that the hose would split pretty soon. Got rid soon after. The rad issue was bought up by my local garage who also put it down to undersized rad which they replaced with larger unit.

swarovski

Let's face it.they don't make vehicles that don't go wrong.some seem to have faults.i was looking at l200s and Everybody said don't bother so I didn't :D

Robb

Let's face it.they don't make vehicles that don't go wrong.some seem to have faults.i was looking at l200s and Everybody said don't bother so I didn't :D
Good move..! L200's have always had problems from day one, In the early days Mitsubishi had Thousands of spare engines in the factory ready to be fitted to L200 Pick ups with engines that would let go in the first three years of ownership (under warranty) - enough said.!
The older Jap engines are better and more reliable than the newer stuff, peoples obsession with more BHP and MPG have made them more unreliable, I would rather stick to the older ones myself.

swarovski

Totally agree.all modern stuff runs on the edge.recently the wife wanted another car so we got a lease one.we are fed up of repairing cars.it costs a bit more but no hassle or worries of a feck off ginormous garage bill.i had a 320td beamer.6 grand of bills in 6 years.never again.german ***** grrrrrrrt

Bugsy

I kept away from the L200 for this reason because my friends went the same way and he had to replace the engine, so I bought a Ranger, :cry: it's a 07 plate and guess what it has everything eles wrong with it except the engine,sold my old rusty Terrano to a local boy because it needed welding and I wanted a pick up for the dog, wish I hadn't bothered ,he is in great order with it and laugh's at me every time I meet him. Wish Nissan had brought out a LWB Terrano pick up.

Woodsmoke

I have an '04 3l Terrano & would happily put it up against any of the newer stuff. t had 38k when I got it 2 years ago, it's now done 70k & the only things that have needed attention were the front propshaft UJs & the alternator........that got some c rap in it & needed stripped & cleaned. Superb vehicle!!!