Lab x Pointer litters?

.Skinner.

Hi all :)

Just putting feelers out to see whether anyone knows of any upcoming lab x pointer litters? LabxGWP, LabxGSP, LabxVizsla considered.

Not looking to get into debate about pros and cons of Xbreeds so please no 'why would you want one of those?' replies; I have my reasons for looking into this particular sort of cross.

Any help very much appreciated :)

Many thanks,

Skinner

p.s. this is getting posted in two sections of forum: 'Deer Dogs & Tracking' and in Classifieds as a 'wanted'. Admin please let me know if any issues with this, just wanted to cover both bases.

jimmy milnes

Are they first crosses and do you know any out of the same litter ?reason for my ask is I wondered as to How uniform they were in conformation and temperament ?
Also wondered if either of you know any first cross x first cross and if so how they faired on the above questions?
Cheers
Jimmy

Akeld

Conformation varies, I've seen the same litter produce what looked like pure pointer to pure lab and varying degrees in between, all have been workers though.

To the OP, I'm planning a litter of Lab/BMH in July/August, this will be the second and final litter, from my first cross dog and pure lab bitch (so 3/4 lab, 1/4 BMH), most of the last litter sold on here

Hayduke

I have just got a lab x GWP 1st cross, I am happy with her and she is smart, inquisitive and settling nicely. She is mostly black like a lab (although dam was fox red - go figure!) and leggy like GWP. Came from north Pennines area and working stock. 14 weeks old. They have 3 left which say they are keeping / spoken for. But for the right owner & money, it might be worth a try, or they may know of others as this is a popular dog for grouse work in that area. PM me if you want and I will give you their number.

.Skinner.

Thanks all for the replies so far, much appreciated :) if anyone else has any info on this please do weigh in, thanks!

NigelM

I have worked with Black Lab X GWP on a grouse moor and they were fabulous dogs, very biddable with the stamina of a GWP.

Also worked for a day last season with a Springer X WHV which was also a fabulous little dog. Hunted with the drive of a Springer and then went on point. Really odd to watch but very effective walked up.

countrryboy

I was on a moor up north and there GWP's and gwpxlabs were horrendous, put me off owning a wire for a long time.
At lunch they would fight with each other if no other dogs to fight with and used to stand right at back door of the haaglunds attacking dogs as the came/left. I think a decent % whole litter was pretty much shared out among the keepers

But in fairness the gwp they came off was a aggressive b*****d and i don't think the way they were handled/trained helped either.

Seen some good ones too thou but as with any dog u need to make sure coming of decent stock, but even then no guarantee's u'll get wot u want (but that can be said for pure breds too)

I would add that a pure bred hpr will do all the labX will do with the right training and off the right lines

bogtrotter

I was on a moor up north and there GWP's and gwpxlabs were horrendous, put me off owning a wire for a long time.
At lunch they would fight with each other if no other dogs to fight with and used to stand right at back door of the haaglunds attacking dogs as the came/left. I think a decent % whole litter was pretty much shared out among the keepers

But in fairness the gwp they came off was a aggressive b*****d and i don't think the way they were handled/trained helped either.

Seen some good ones too thou but as with any dog u need to make sure coming of decent stock, but even then no guarantee's u'll get wot u want (but that can be said for pure breds too)

I would add that a pure bred hpr will do all the labX will do with the right training and off the right lines
Not my experience of them ,but I'm sure the same could apply to any breed.

countrryboy

Not my experience of them ,but I'm sure the same could apply to any breed.

Must admit they were some of the worst most aggressive dogs i've ever seen on a shoot, but i do think the keeper/s had a lot to do with it as they generally had very little to do with them on a shoot day (and don't think they put an awful lot of time into training either), some of there labs/spaniels weren't that much better.

I think both parents would be borderline aggressive/ if not fully aggressive so pups were always going to be hard to handle

It really put me off owning a GWP for quite a few years, but like u said can happen with most breeds with poor breeding and bad handling/training.

Dan Newcombe

Try the Borders there are quite a few of them round the Kelso / Yetholm area.

Not sure why but i quite like them and some of the ones that i have seen are excellent (and some labs i have seen are awful, takes all sorts). As a natural worker they should do just fine.

Also saw a yellow one and it looked the business.

Tamar

We've had a GSPxLab cross for nearly 9 years and she has been a beaut. As good as we've been able to train her, lots (too much? stamina), no problem with deer/rabbits and a lovely 'pet' as well as a worker being great with our children. Problems - her ranging takes her out of sight unless she is tightly handled, and her speed can mean that she overruns some birds if too excited. No health problems except for a shoulder injury from a bad jump/fall. I vary rarely get to work her on the moor, and in Devon small woods haybale shoots she is perhaps a bit overgunned for the size of the drives and the scale of the retrieves, but until I win the lottery, she's not going to be troubling too many grouse!

HOWEVER, I know two other such crosses. One of which is an absolute terror - although that was a rescue dog from what sounds like a pretty awful house, and the second is a non-working farm dog and he is a boistrous pack leader so I can see where Countryboy might have got the impression of aggression. So I guess as with all dogs, much of what comes out depedns on what you put in.

Uncas

I had a lab x Gordon setter all black just some white feathering on the tail,
A tall leggy dog with a setter's head, best point was over two minutes. Best dog I ever had wish I could get another one.

nightwalker uk

Skinner, have replied in your classified thread, but I have a litter of GWP x Lab which are 3 week now. I'm a grouse keeper, both dogs are working stock, very biddable and I will be keeping a bitch to work for myself.

PM me for more details.

Richard