Lack of Expansion

Just a quick question.
Are you measuring your velocity, or are you going from what the book/loading data says to expect ?

Just a quick question.
Are you measuring your velocity, or are you going from what the book/loading data says to expect ?

I have a chronograph and have been working my loads up recently so I know the velocity.

You guys were absolutely spot on with regards to different expansion rates on different targets. I would have thought a dense bale of straw would cause good expansion. However, based on the game I’ve shot this trip so far I can conclude I was worrying unnecessarily, the bullet has produced good expansion and large exit wounds.

I’m glad I asked just in case, so thank you for all your responses!

Alex

I did hear that the latest Nosler BT's are "harder" than the original. I only use the 150g Nosler BT's in my 308 and often get a good exit and blood trial so must be expanding ok. New to reloading so can't comment technically on your set up. I run 44.6 grains of N140. Consistent and hard hitting, good groups for chest shooting

It’s the shock and the vortex caused through the animal that does the damage, I use evo greens from RWS, exit wounds are never bigger than a 50p but internally they are devastating (admittedly they fragment slightly) but exit wound isn’t all that, years ago I used to shoot burger vld hunting, if you hit a rib you’d fit a football in the hole, if not they’d pencil through!!
What I’m trying to say in my waffle is, as long as what you are shooting falls over and suffers little then don’t worry about the exit hole size
Happy hunting

Back