Lakelander rifle

welshwarrior

Right I've been offer a Lakelander barrelee action that needs rebarreling what the general view of these it looks a nice light stalking rifle, it's a long action (7x64) but as it'll be re barrelled that's not a major issue.

Anyone use one and any advice.

Southern

What are your going to change it out to? Unless the 7x64 is shot out, I would shoot it first. It is a serious all-around cartridge, really delivers the mail.

welshwarrior

The barrel is no good ran a borescope down it and the owner told me it patterns like a skeet choke!

I was thinking possible 6.5 swede, but that's just an itch that might need a scratch.

Dalua

The barrel is no good ran a borescope down it and the owner told me it patterns like a skeet choke!

I was thinking possible 6.5 swede, but that's just an itch that might need a scratch.
I'd stick with 7x64 - less paperwork. However, I guess it depends what you're going to use the rifle for I suppose.

brock and norris

We have re-barreled a few over the years, a nice action with a 60 degree bolt lift, great rotary magazine and a trigger that is simple to adjust to a fine pull. If there was one weakness it was that the stocks did have a tendency to crack through the wrist of the stock. We normally fitted a steel rod through the wrist as in the Weatherby Mk5 stocks and had zero problems. you may need to open the bolt face slightly for 6.5 x55 but that would present no problems and it would make a fine stalking rifle. I hope that is of assistance . Yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

8x57

Distinguished Member
Look up Varberger and Norma rifles too as these rifles have been marketed under all three names at one time or another.

As Mike Norris mentioned the stocks can be a bit of a problem and the large recess needed to accomadate the rotary magazine doesn't help requiring a bit more work than is usual, or at least that is what I was told by one well known Scottish rifle maker when I enquired about a problem with mine. The U.K. importer for Varberger put the company in contact with Macmillan at a trade show with a view to having the rifles available with synthetic stocks, but unfortunately Varberger went bust before that option became a reality.

welshwarrior

Thanks guys this is a blind magazine and fairly sure I didn't look to hard it's not a rotary magazine. There is no stock just barreled action and metal work.

I'll look up those 2 names but sounds like it could give me a good project.

Ronin

Distinguished Member
They have a simple leave spring mag as I recall, not rotary.

The Lakelander, Varberger etc are / were the precursor of the Sako 75 - similar design influences at least (60 degree bolt lift, three lug, locking bolt when safety applied.

They make fine stalking rifles, rebarrelled or otherwise if looked after.

Kalahari

Just a 2p worth (maybe not worth that much, as I don't know the rifle) but if it is a fixed mag the rails probably form part of the action body and have been carefully machined for the 7 x 64 round. Changing that might cause some feed problems. Might be worth a thought.

Best wishes,

David.

8x57

Distinguished Member
No definately rotary magazines, like this.

View attachment 51587

They look like simple blind magazines but they are fixed rotary magazines. The lever is the magazine release for unloading, depressing the lever releases all the rounds at the same time.

Last edited:

srvet

I have to confess that I have hankered after a Lakelander but as with Angelina Jolie, it just never happened!! Oh well....

Southern

I'd stick with 7x64 - less paperwork. However, I guess it depends what you're going to use the rifle for I suppose.
Yup, if it shoots well, and probably will.
there are a lot more 6.5x55s around to buy than there are 7x64s and .280 Remingtons. You can make a 7x64 shoot the same weight bullets as a 6.5x55, but at about 300 fps faster in normal loadis, like a 140 at 3000+, 150 at 2900 to 3,000, 160 at 2800 to 2975, with a huge bullet selection in 7mm, and some very high BCs, in the .500 to .650 range.

Load up some mild 100 ro 110 gr polinking loads at 2,800 and shoot foxes like it is a .243.

welshwarrior

Yup, if it shoots well, and probably will.
there are a lot more 6.5x55s around to buy than there are 7x64s and .280 Remingtons. You can make a 7x64 shoot the same weight bullets as a 6.5x55, but at about 300 fps faster in normal loadis, like a 140 at 3000+, 150 at 2900 to 3,000, 160 at 2800 to 2975, with a huge bullet selection in 7mm, and some very high BCs, in the .500 to .650 range.

Load up some mild 100 ro 110 gr polinking loads at 2,800 and shoot foxes like it is a .243.

Is the 7x64 that versatile? Sounds like your saying it can do what my 243 and 308 do? If it really does could be a great option

Southern

Is the 7x64 that versatile? Sounds like your saying it can do what my 243 and 308 do? If it really does could be a great option
Let some others here who shoot the 7x64 and its American twin, the .280 Remington (7mm-06), and even the 7x57 and 7mm-08, tell you. Though most only use it for big deer and big game, because of its power and reach, it can be loaded down. In fact, like the .30-06, there are some powders which are most accurate with beginning loads at mild pressures and velocities.. so it is like a 7mm-08. You can even load it down with powders like SR4759 and Trail Boss and shoot 100 and 110-gr bullets at 2000 fps, which is plenty to tip over a fox at 150 yards, and no blast or recoil. On the other end, it can move a 175-gr bullet at over 2700 fps, which will kill big boar, bear and African plains game ( and has ). A 160-gr SGK, or 162-gr SST or A-Max at 2,850+ fps and a BC > .600 is a serious long range or windy day round.

Last edited: