Land check tomorrow wirh my FEO

Lone wolf

First time grant for me but I'm not new to shooting centerfires (military) but I would love to know what caliber you guys would suggest if my land is not upto scratch for a .223

I have put in for
.22lr
.17hmr

Fox shooting is on the agenda and I'm looking for more permissions to go bigger if needed

I just want to have some real word experience passed on by you guys and the other calibers suitable for foxes

I was looking at
.17 hornet
.22 hornet
22-250

Many thanks

arron

You won't go far wrong with your 223 👍just practice at different distances, learn your drop and windage , learn one calibre and keep it simple at least for starters , thats my opinion anyway , good luck , hope all goes well

Lone wolf

Also I think it's worth mentioning I would like to use factory ammo as I dont have much time to be reloading myself.....yet

And the land has a fantastic natural backstop, it was a old sand/gravel quarry with a huge embankment all around it so very safe to shoot in my opinion

Lone wolf

You won't go far wrong with your 223 👍just practice at different distances, learn your drop and windage , learn one calibre and keep it simple at least for starters , thats my opinion anyway , good luck , hope all goes well
Thanks arron, I would ideally like a .223 as I wish to do some prs if i can so it would be the ideal choice

arron

If they won't pass it for a 223 , I doubt they'd pass it for another CF ,, But it sounds like you've a good place , just mention the use if highseats if needed ,,, but it sounds good enough 👍forgot to say , tell the FEO your aware of any footpaths ( if any ) and your boundaries

Lone wolf

If they won't pass it for a 223 , I doubt they'd pass it for another CF ,, But it sounds like you've a good place , just mention the use if highseats if needed ,,, but it sounds good enough 👍forgot to say , tell the FEO your aware of any footpaths ( if any ) and your boundaries

Cheers mate that's a good idea, there is no public right of way thankfully and I will bear in mind the high seat if needed

paul o'

Print off a goggle maps of the land and zone off all the no shoot zones and point them out to him ;) it shows your on the ball and know your ground also add AOLQ to your rifles :tiphat:

Lone wolf

Print off a goggle maps of the land and zone off all the no shoot zones and point them out to him ;) it shows your on the ball and know your ground also add AOLQ to your rifles :tiphat:
That's a great idea thank you! I have a print off so will deploy a red sharpie pen

AOLQ ? What's that please

paul o'

Means " any other legal quarry" lookup: - worth a read to the end . if not just ask would you be cleared for AOLQ on your land if yes request he puts it down for the land cert.

Lone wolf

Means " any other legal quarry" lookup: - worth a read to the end . if not just ask would you be cleared for AOLQ on your land if yes request he puts it down for the land cert.
Thank you kindly!

paul o'

Land checks, what a crock, with regards calibres / chamberings, If it's safe for a firearm to be used the calibre has no bearing on the land, the user's common sense and recognition of backstops is the nub.
I Fully agree but all police Dev's are not in step let alone all playing the same song ,they all have a pennyworth to add sad as it is , so we all have to dance too a tune of there playing . I so wish it was the same all over GB a good old two step :british:

Overlay

22 hornet or if want a bit more range 204
both are really good

17 hornet are superb but not sure on a h&l will finish the job on foxes

andyk

I can’t see you’d get any of the other .22CFs (hornet excluded) if they won’t approve a .223.

Either of the hornets would be worth arguing for though as they don’t produce anything like the same ME.

You may also be ok with .204 or one of the bigger .17CFs as some FEOs have this idea that a smaller number equals less danger. It wouldn’t surprise me if you get told a .204 is safer than a .22 hornet…

NullMac

if my land is not upto scratch for a .223
There is no such thing as land suitable for one calibre or another.

If there are no backstops, the land is unsafe to shoot unless it is shot from an elevated position. If there are solid backstops then it is safe for any calibre, provided the shooter knows what the hell he is doing and uses those backstops.

A ricochet from a 223 is bloody dangerous just like any other.

So I would be pointing out the safe shooting areas and how you would approach shooting over the land.

The calibre is suited to the quarry not the land. Your FEO may disagree, so be aware; but safe shooting in this country is about backstops.