Land Rover Discovery Sport

armo.

Does anyone have experience of the Land Rover Discovery Sport and would care to share an opinion on it? They seem to be well thought of, have decent published fuel consumption, are well equipped, appear to perform well off-road and are not monster-sized 4x4s. The TD4 Ingenium engine seems to be well thought of. On the down-side, and in common with the make, they appear to suffer some reliability issues.

Thank you in advance for your views.

Skietindiekop

After running Landrover products for over 30 years and being an ex factory trained technician I have decided that they no longer have anything new enough not to be suffering potential rust that is reliable enough for my needs.
Only my opinion but basically too complicated as even a faulty radio needs the computer to fix or replace it. Yes other brands are very high tech with the electronics but they don’t seem to be as much trouble.

GWP

I have one its a se150 manual 18000 miles no issues but they changed the rear brake discs at service under warantyi average 45-48 mpg at normal road speeds will go over fifty if you take your time good enough off road to carry feed for the pheasants and pick up deer

hendrix's rifle

After running Landrover products for over 30 years and being an ex factory trained technician I have decided that they no longer have anything new enough not to be suffering potential rust that is reliable enough for my needs.
Only my opinion but basically too complicated as even a faulty radio needs the computer to fix or replace it. Yes other brands are very high tech with the electronics but they don’t seem to be as much trouble.

I'l second this. They drink more adblue than fuel, they seem to break down more often than not and have plenty of issues! When there going well there a nice drive though

david1

Hi, I had one while my Defender 130 was being serviced, it was utter crap, the rear plastics on the rear door feel out every time you closed the boot door, very sad they wear the green oval badge.

fairacre

My brother has one, he has had it for 18 months and only done 6000 miles. Had a problem with the cruise control, fixed under warranty. I did warn him.

Colin G

I myself was thinking of up-grading to a discovery HSE and the only thing that’s holding me back is the thought of the accosiated problems .
one of the guys at work had the Range evoke and nothing but trouble since he bought it .

EMcC

I myself was thinking of up-grading to a discovery HSE and the only thing that’s holding me back is the thought of the accosiated problems .
one of the guys at work had the Range evoke and nothing but trouble since he bought it .
The Discovery is a complete different ball game from the so called Discovery Sport and Discovery Evoque.
I have the Discovery 3 litre SE and it is built like a Road vehicle with off road facility not like the original Discovery but still does the job.
I had the initial problems with the Service and adblue warning but apparently it was a 'Software' problem and sorted with no other problems.
Tows like a trojan, goes off road using the height button and a couple of the 'programmes' and on the road goes like sh**t off a shovel and still returns 30 to 40 mpg on motorways with a bit of careful foot work I can get 41mpg and that is doing a 'reasonable' speed ;)
I did notice the difference in price from the real Discovery and the other off-shoots it quite a bag full of dosh but worth every penny.

Last edited:

Pedro

There it is. The quandary that is Land Rover. When they're working properly, they are (in my opinion) the best vehicles money (usually lots) can buy. However, they are increasingly complicated beasts and with complications come, um, complications and they are never cheap to fix.

I'd have a Land Rover any day of the week. I'd also have a warranty for it every day of the week.

srvet

The Discovery is a complete different ball game from the so called Discovery Sport and Discovery Evoque.
I have the Discovery 3 litre SE and it is built like a Road vehicle with off road facility not like the original Discovery but still does the job.
I had the initial problems with the Service and adblue warning but apparently it was a 'Software' problem and sorted with no other problems.
Tows like a trojan, goes off road using the height button and a couple of the 'programmes' and on the road goes like sh**t off a shovel and still returns 30 to 40 mpg on motorways with a bit of careful foot work I can get 41mpg and that is doing a 'reasonable' speed ;)
I did notice the difference in price from the real Discovery and the other off-shoots it quite a bag full of dosh but worth every penny.

Is that a discovery 5 with the offset rear number plate you have?

qwerty2008

Land Rover, “making mechanics out of drivers”
Check out “oil dilution” which can be a painful issue with some engines.
Otherwise they just breakdown.
Ive had a Disco3, Freelander2, Disco4 and now a Disco5. They all broke down, but only the Disco5 managed to breakdown, at the dealers, on the day I went to collect it. They delivered it a week later. It’s already been back within first 4 weeks and needs to go back again, but I’ll wait till it stops.

Mr B

Ran a Disco Sport as an ambulance RRV for a while. Got driven hard and spent a lot of time in the workshop next to the Freelander 2! Wouldn’t recommend it or an evoque to anyone.

ended up using a Skoda Octavia Scout daily and it ran like a dream!

Looked at Subaru?

tackb

Had a loan one with 400miles on the clock whilst my pile of **** Range Rover was being repaired again at the dealers

it **** itself while I had it , just like every landrover I’ve ever owned !

Google landrover reliability , people are not making it up !

armo.

I keep thinking of buying a Discovery but reliability problems have put me off for years. While the Sport isn't a Discovery (it's a beefed up Freelander) I'd hoped it would be an improvement, but the replies here echo what other owners are saying online. Shame the manufactures can't sort reliability issues out, as if they worked properly, Land Rovers would be world-beating vehicles.

Right then, suggestions for an alternative that has the good characteristics but is more reliable?

Freeforester

Look at Subaru Outback. Did my LR penance years ago, then got wise. Excellent VFM when bought as a decent used example too. Only occasional problem seems to be a wheel bearing, depending to a fair degree on ones driving style!

Tazz

Had an Evoque when they first came out ran it for 3 years from new only one issue with locking fuel cap, my partner has Freelander 2 put 150K+ miles on it one breakdown when her alternator pulley sheared off. I have been running Disco 4 for 3 years one minor issue have just put a years extended warranty from LR on it will change it for a Disco 5 by then I hope they have gone back to a split tail gate. IMHO the Disco 4 ticks every box for size, power, comfort and off road performance

Well it's positive from our experience..., had a Freelender for 4yrs and very little problems, bought a new Disco Sport 18 months ago and love it - great off-road and a pleasure to drive long distances in...

Wapinschaw

Look at Subaru Outback. Did my LR penance years ago, then got wise. Excellent VFM when bought as a decent used example too. Only occasional problem seems to be a wheel bearing, depending to a fair degree on ones driving style!

Agreed. I have been running Legacy Estates for 25 years or so, currently on 6th. If you are not going seriously off road the ground clearance of an Outback will get you most places, even the lower slung Legacy manages some pretty rough tracks. Excellent reliability, I have not come across the wheel bearing issue, out of all my Legacies the only serious mechanical failure to date has been a front drive shaft due to the UJ boot splitting, chucking all the grease out and not being spotted in time to save it. They have a huge boot space, a couple of people have commented that it is bigger than a Range Rover's, it is also lower so easier to load.