land rover freelander...

tiny_in_ireland

hi all im thinking about getting a commercial freelander in the next two weeks, does anyone have any expierience with them?? what did you think?

cheers.

tiny.

Hi

I used to drive one for work and once you get over the typical Landrover idiosyncrasies they're fine. My biggest criticism oddly enough was not reliability or build quality but the fact that I whacked my head on the 'A' post every time I got in! And I'm not even very tall! (OK, my wife will tell you that I'm dyspracsic but that's another story)

I seem to remember that the window switches were in the wrong order too but thats just a niggle.

However, niggles aside it's probably one of the most sure footed softroaders around...I had to drive through many Highland snowstorms in the middle of the night and it never put a foot wrong, I always felt perfectly safe. Excellent tow car too.

Oh, just remembered, some problems with the tailgate window lowering itself when parked too.

Don't even think about putting your money into a 1.8 petrol version.

The K series engine WILL overheat and blow up - at vast expense. The cooling galleries are simply too small for the job.

The other versions can be a pleasant surprise - for a soft roader! :)

Rgds Ian

You are quite right Ian, avoid the 1.8 petrol like the plague. Even if you have the head gasket done they are still prone to going again. The diesels are great though.

i drive a vauxhall frontera 2.2 dti lwb and i can hand on heart say this vehicle is a true all rounder, i to was very interested in a freelander but a low miles freelander td4(bmw diesel engined) were holding 'top dollar'and i too was warned away from the 1.8 freelander due to the head gasket fault!!
i know vauxhall have a bit of a stigma surrounding there cars but i do get 35+ miles per gallon from my truck, i can switch into 4x4 up to speeds of 60 m/hr(although never tried and probably not advisable!!) the 4 wheel drive is superb and the load space is huge!!
not everyones choice i know, but im very happy!!

duggers

I had the 2litre diesel and drove it off road and it broke!!
Warning lights on dashboard light up telling you that you have no brakes but it is a sensor on the wheel that sets it off if you go thro water, it was raining at the time!
The hill descent had a mind of its own and lit up as engaged but wasn't!!
Back window drops down of its own accord when you least expect it, side window switches tend to stick dropping the window down when you only wanted it to open slightly.
Air conditioning condensation overflow pipe separates in the passenger foot well and fills it up with water ready for the first passenger to step in.
Knees tend to touch the centre console, not the dashboard! if you relax or the seat is moved to allow you to reach the pedals!
My sump guard was held on with two spot welded thin strips which broke when I hit some mole heaps when crossing a field allowing it to drop down and act as a scoop.
For a 2 litre very sluggish but good enough for road use but, in my opinion does not merit the 'Land Rover' badge
I got rid of it after eleven months because it spent too much time in the Garage, thank goodness it was new and covered by the guarrantee.

Freelander

I have had a couple of freelanders a few years back, both from new both 1.8 petrols. They both performed well off road. With a decent set of tyres they will embaress most other 4x4 with standard tyres. I sold the first one to a mate with 10K on the clock. The engine blew at 12K and fortunately was replaced under warenty. That car must have been a friday car it had problems with the windows and the anti roll bars. The second one I kept for a few years and did 30K in it with no problems at all!! If I was going to get another one I would go for the TD4.

Dave

There not a bad car really. I drive a defender td5 but use an early 2lt diesel freelander quite often. Its got 80k on the clock & drives fine. I agree the 1.8 petrol is a nightmare so steer clear. Done a few headgaskets on them in the past & that dont really cure the problem. The K series petrol engine fitted in a car aint too bad but for some reason it doesnt seem to work in the freelander :confused: Try & go for the td4 but be warned, the pre face lift model used a multi vane turbo & can suffer problems. The face lift model used a different turbo unit unlike the earlier td4 & this has cured the problem. Also the freelander can suffer IRD Unit failure. The first signs of wear to the IRD are abnormal wear on the rear tyres. (Blocking) where the tyres seem to wear in blocks around the tyre tread. This was more apparent in the earlier model freelander but some later models seem to suffer from it as well :rolleyes:
All this sounds very alarming i know but just remember this. You only hear all the horror stories of things that go wrong & it taints the image of the whole car so everyone thinks every freelander is crap :eek: The thing to remember is the freelander was the biggest selling small 4x4 ever built by any motor manufacturer to date so the percentage of defect vehicles is relatively small compared to the amount built.
I work for a major japanese motor manufacturer & they build one of the most popular 4x4s on the market today. You would be alarmed to know some of the major warranty claims that are made on these for worst defects than you will find on a freelander. It just proves that the japanese aint always the best, You just dont hear all the horror stories as often.
Every vehicle has its faults & they always will do. My td5 Defender is 3 years old & has had its fair share of faults since ive owned it (now all sorted out). I have access to new japanese 4x4s if i want & can get them cheaper than a second hand defender, Id take the defender anyday over any other 4x4. :D

steyr 243 said:
There not a bad car really. I drive a defender td5 but use an early 2lt diesel freelander quite often. Its got 80k on the clock & drives fine. I agree the 1.8 petrol is a nightmare so steer clear. Done a few headgaskets on them in the past & that dont really cure the problem. The K series petrol engine fitted in a car aint too bad but for some reason it doesnt seem to work in the freelander :confused: Try & go for the td4 but be warned, the pre face lift model used a multi vane turbo & can suffer problems. The face lift model used a different turbo unit unlike the earlier td4 & this has cured the problem. Also the freelander can suffer IRD Unit failure. The first signs of wear to the IRD are abnormal wear on the rear tyres. (Blocking) where the tyres seem to wear in blocks around the tyre tread. This was more apparent in the earlier model freelander but some later models seem to suffer from it as well :rolleyes:
All this sounds very alarming i know but just remember this. You only hear all the horror stories of things that go wrong & it taints the image of the whole car so everyone thinks every freelander is crap :eek: The thing to remember is the freelander was the biggest selling small 4x4 ever built by any motor manufacturer to date so the percentage of defect vehicles is relatively small compared to the amount built.
I work for a major japanese motor manufacturer & they build one of the most popular 4x4s on the market today. You would be alarmed to know some of the major warranty claims that are made on these for worst defects than you will find on a freelander. It just proves that the japanese aint always the best, You just dont hear all the horror stories as often.
Every vehicle has its faults & they always will do. My td5 Defender is 3 years old & has had its fair share of faults since ive owned it (now all sorted out). I have access to new japanese 4x4s if i want & can get them cheaper than a second hand defender, Id take the defender anyday over any other 4x4. :D

I don't know who you work for but how do you rate the Nissan X-Trail? I had a drive in a friends and quite liked it, the only thing that struck me was how light weight the front panels were.

spend your money on something else. I get a Ford ticket which means that i can get a discount on any Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover etc. Unfortunately i've tried the freelander and the discovery and regretted it.

Got the new diesel freelander for the wife which soon developed so many faults that the dealership was forced to take it back. I Foolishly opted to swap up into the new Discovery due to the large discount and 0% apr. That bugger went back to the dealership 5 times in 7 months.

Unfortunately landrover are still awful when it comes to build quality and reliability.

I now drive a shogun and the wife drives a VW Toureg

Never had a Landrover, but have hired them a few times in Scotland, cant really see they are worth the money, and I have heard quite a few complain about reoccuring faults. The new Disco seems OK, but its still a big estate car really to me.

My last two vehicles have been Isuzu crewcabs. In June I bought a new Isuzu Rhodeo Crewcab LE. With the new 2.5 commonrail engine. I must admit the dealership where a bunch of ****s, but the truck; cant fault it, I am very happy with it. :D

Funny that.
when looking for my first 4x4 looked at landrover and swb trooper, Isuzu dealer looked me up and down as I looked over and got in and out of the trooper but couldn't even be bothered to come over and speak to me.

In the landrover dealer totally the opposite what was I looking for could they arrange a test drive then to top it off the salesman and black lab came over then after a chat told me he was picking up the next day and if I was free would be welcome to join him.

Now on my 3rd defender but they are never perfect.

Hi Paul K
The nissan aint a bad motor either but the trouble with them is you get a very plastic feel to the interior but that is the case with most japanese manufacturers. (By the way i dont work for nissan)They refuse to change even tho most of europe has requested them to.
Like i said before every manufacturer has its fair share of faults with its models. Look at Mitsubushi, Nice looking trucks but an awful gearbox & very very expensive to repair. Isuzu, Again have made some good trucks but they too have had a fair share of faults including rear suspension mounts breaking off the chassis rails There new 2.5 engine is very very good tho :D . Toyota HiLux, The work horse of the pick ups, Great seller & engines go on forever, They suffer serious chassis & body corrosion on our salted roads. And like the rest of them there like driving a barge in a storm on wet or icy roads with that lightweight pick up back & rear wheel drive.Then you have the added issues of obtaining spare parts in an emergency only to be told "that is a dealer part only" or "that part is on back order & will take 3 weeks to get it sir as its gotta come from japan or australia or something" :eek: so in the meantime sir you can have the use of our vauxhall corsa or VW Lupo while we get your part. Great, Try getting a red carcass & all your gear in that after a days stalking :rolleyes:
Look at the new defender with its transit engine, 6 speed transmission & new interior. The engine is awfull in a defender & they have already had trouble with the 6 speed unit :rolleyes: Its like the td5 engine when it 1st came out. Horror story after horror story is all you heard about it yet looking back on it now its probably the best engine ever fitted to a 4x4 & very easy to work on despite rumours of the dredded electrical system that runs the engine.
Ive worked in the motor industry for a very long time & have been around 4x4s of all kinds all my life so ive seen my fair share of faults, problems, aftersales service & warranty claims. ( Ive never had a single concern with the way land rover have dealt with a warrenty claim personally) But then if you walk into a dealers & talk the talk as they say then they have no option but to back into a corner & hold there hands up & get it sorted.
I cant advise anyone on what vehicle to buy as what is ok for me may not be ok for someone else. I just go by what i find out behind the public eye & make my decisions on that & what will give me the most reliable use & resale value if & when i decide to sell it on. If i buy japanese i get it alot cheaper than a landrover product but then if i sell it i get next to nothing for it second hand.
As Dickie said land rovers are far from perfect but there no worst than any other 4x4 on the road.

Nissan X-Trail

Buy a Nissan X-Trail

All Landrover have done with the latest Free Lander is copy all the bitz from the Nissan. used to be the other way around.

Look at the Tailgate , no spare wheel. and it is a tailgate opening upwards, not like the CRV or Old LRover.

Front wheel drive until you need 4X4 need i go on,

I have used my X-trail off road and while its no shogun it can do what most stalkers need it to do with a decent set of tyres and through dogs and deer in the back.

i used to have a Vitara with a set of nobblies and I had an experienced stalker leave his Angelina Jolie Landrover and jump in with me as he could not believe the terrain i was covering.

Offroading is for me 95% about ground clearance and grip, the rest you are screwed no matter what you have.

Mine has nearly 100k miles never failed an MOT and never let me down.

Oh and buy a Diesel.5* motor

If you seriously want a great 4x4 that is well sorted & wont let you down then buy an IBEX or BOWLER SPECIAL. you wont get much change from 25k :eek: but youll have the best 4x4 built & you can hammer the s**t out of it & it wont break.
I had an IBEX about 6 years ago & its the best thing for fun ive ever driven :D
Also if you want a really good lamping vehicle for the summer treat yourself to a willys MB or Ford GPW world war 2 jeep. take the canvass off it & fold the screen down. It makes an excellent shooting platform & there great fun to drive 8) I had many summer evenings foxing & rabbiting in my one.

A friend of mine has an hotchkiss m201 with a recoilless rifle fitted to it. Ive never thought of taking it out after bunnies :D Yet :!: Could be a mission for the summer that Beowulf;)

I once had a Long wheelbase Isuzu Trooper, kept it for 13 years great car, good at towing and very capable off road. However there was a nasty incident of the interior light bulb blowing! just shoddy. To be fair my missus drove it most of the time and I was in my Landrovers.

They are great if you accept that they are a vehicle. Things do break, things do go wrong and they need to be maintained they are just like any other car in that respect. They are not invincible machines that can go anywhere, they can go a lot of places that others can't but, not without the right tyres and correct driving. Also if you want to be warm in November turn the heater on in June, that may be unfair the Td5's I have no knowledge of, the TDi 300 was my last one. I would imagine that most offroaders today would fill the needs of most stalkers, I now drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the same ground clearance as LandRover, can shift into four wheel drive on the move up to 60 mph alledgedly, very smooth in operation, comfort as well what more do I want. I was out with it on Monday, I broke through the ice and was into the tractor tracks, then mud 6 or 7 inches deep over rough ground, no problems at all plus I was pulling a trailer with a quad on it.

I am firmly of the opinion that most leisure stalkers when getting thenselves a 4x4 would be OK with pretty much any 4x4 out there nowadays.

Please feel free to shout at me.

John

John

Back