LANTRA - Humane Dispatch Course

ndjfb00

Just a word of warning if any of you are considering taking this course..... I took mine with my son on Oct 11th 2014 with Jelen and some TWELVE WEEKS(!!) later and we still have not recieved the certs, until we do our local police force won't accept us onto the scheme. I called and emailed Mike at Jelen many times chasing this but he is alway busy.

Question - Does anyone know the 'H/O' course number at LANTRA so that i can chase them myself direct? Maybe someone out there has completed this course and the course number is on your Cert.???

GunsmithDolphinholme

Address:
Lantra
Lantra House
Stoneleigh Park
Coventry
Warwickshire
CV8 2LG

T: 02476 69 69 96

from there website

• If you have any questions relating to cards and certificates, please call our Quality and Services Team on 02476 41 97 03

ndjfb00

Thanks Neil, I can't reply via PM until I have made 5x posts apparently, glad to see i'm not alone in this complete debarcle, hopefully other guys wanting to go on this course will not be forewarned and their expectations on the LANTRA cert delivery re-aligned!

NeilG

Speaking with LANTRA, their certificate return schedules are actually very good.... However, they need the paperwork from the center sent in asap to maintain their timelines... Sadly, I think this was where the process fell apart in this instance.

Hope you get it resolved.

Neil

ndjfb00

Hi Neil

More infomation has come to light on the mystery surrounding where my HAD cert is, transpires LANTRA were infact processing them and using their 2week period to do this, however and this confirms your thoughts, Jelen for some bizarre reason still took around 10 weeks to get the paperwork into LANTRA.

I wouldn't want to crucify Mike at Jelen without knowing all the facts but there does appear a pattern emerging here in paperwork delays, either that or myself and Neil have just unlucky.

starr shot

Thanks Neil, I can't reply via PM until I have made 5x posts apparently, glad to see i'm not alone in this complete debarcle, hopefully other guys wanting to go on this course will not be forewarned and their expectations on the LANTRA cert delivery re-aligned!
Same course same problem

cookingfat

I can confirm that all certificates arrived at our office the day before Christmas eve, and will be sent out on the 2nd Jan when we return to the office.

Regards, and Happy New Year.

Mike.
i think one or two may have herd that before Mike......!

you run a very good course and I my eyes the best that's on offer but you do need to get your admin up together as it really lets you down,

Tony

Jelendeer

Apologies from Jelen

I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to many of our customers who have been waiting for LANTRA certificates for the HAD and ADM training courses.

We have just come through the busiest three months we have ever had, and I am fully aware that there have been some shortfalls in Admin throughout that time, partly due to us losing Kathy from our office staff. Kathy has moved on to take up a Farm Administrators job, and we wish her all the best in her new role, and will miss her around the Jelen Office. Kathy proved to be a kingpin in our office, and always had admin firmly under control. Our recent problems are due to simply shortage of office staff, coupled with myself and other key staff working on projects away from base.

Regarding shortfalls in sending LANTRA Certificates, I accept ultimate responsibility for that.

However, I am pleased to report that when we return to our office on the 2nd January, admin processing should be back under control once again, and all outstanding LANTRA certificates WILL be sent out on that day.

Once again my sincere apologies for the delays that candidates have suffered, and can reassure all present and future candidates that admin processes will be running smoothly from the 2nd Jan.

Best Regards & Happy New Year to you all,

Mike.

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

cookingfat

I have also been told by a member of the BDS training team that the BDS have now updated and reviewed there own RTA course and are ready to resume there one day courses in 2015.

mark-joppa

Any up this neck of the woods
I would save you money and give it a miss.Four of us from Edinburgh and West Lothian area attended the BDS ran course nr Carnforth over a year ago.Got my LANTA certificate but Police Scotland have no register of trained dispatchers and would not put the condition on my certificate.

cookingfat

I would save you money and give it a miss.Four of us from Edinburgh and West Lothian area attended the BDS ran course nr Carnforth over a year ago.Got my LANTA certificate but Police Scotland have no register of trained dispatchers and would not put the condition on my certificate.
sadly mark this is the case with some constabularies if they don't have a scheme set up for what ever reason then you are not going to get a condition put on your ticket, in England some constabularies have there own armed response teams doing RTA's,others have teams of experienced stalkers that have had training doing it as well as there own people and some areas have nothing in place at all.
I think there is a place for good training that will prepare the next generation of stalkers coming through.

its not so much the dispatching or shooting of the deer that people may need training on,it's dealing with all the others things that they may come up against when they turn up at any incident.

Tony

mark-joppa

sadly mark this is the case with some constabularies if they don't have a scheme set up for what ever reason then you are not going to get a condition put on your ticket, in England some constabularies have there own armed response teams doing RTA's,others have teams of experienced stalkers that have had training doing it as well as there own people and some areas have nothing in place at all.
I think there is a place for good training that will prepare the next generation of stalkers coming through.

its not so much the dispatching or shooting of the deer that people may need training on,it's dealing with all the others things that they may come up against when they turn up at any incident.

Tony

Tony,

Your right the issue of dealing with injured deer is a whole can of worms.The problem at the moment is that good intending folk are putting themselves and there certificate in jeopardy going out to assist in a road side dispatch without the right condition on there certificate !!!!!. Its not that they are not competent enough but unfortunately in this day and age you need things in black and white as there is always a third party waiting to jump on you and throw the book at you.
I believe an Inspector Middlemass based in Aberdeen has been tasked to look at the issue for Police Scotland.

EMcC

All this LANTRA this and that and course for this and that.
Where do the instructors get their knowledge from, who was the first qualified instructor for such courses.
I have been assisting the Wiltshire Constabulary and the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust for over thirty years and I have never needed any formal training.
I had a little book I acquired several years ago which shows the point of aim for various animals, even that only confirmed what I knew already in most cases.
As for high vis jacket at the scene, low profile use of the short barrelled rifle and traffic or personnel clearance at the scene and safe back stop etc, all that is common sense.
Never once have I considered that I might be jeopardising the ownership of my FC and can see no reason why I should.
I have an open FC and it has been since owning it back in the fifties so feel I have enough experience at the scene of an RTA, or whatever it is called these days, than some of the young constables that have attended at the same time as myself.
One such Constable asked me recently why I put a towel over the Deer's head when it could be seen as obvious as the Deer stopped thrashing about immediately.
I then explained that as it had been shot, as opposed to Vetinary injection despatched, that it was classed as non hazzardous waste so could be legally be left for the other wildlife to feast on, so long as it was out of the way of the public.
There are enough Foxes, Badgers and even Raptors to make short work of any carcass left out and is more economic than incineration or burying.

Paul at Fechan

since the deer are still alive obviously, does anyone ever remove them from the scene for dispatch elsewhere when it is safe to do so and for example there are bystanders? i.e. not deer that would be a risk to move like thrashing red stags clearly!

cervus

Good on you Ed,like you I have years of experience at this I would only add that 22yrs in the Fire Service gives you the "other bits" at an RTC,like your long serving Police experience..All The Best and Happy New Year to you both,Tony