Lapwing

John Gryphon

On eggs in the rain today,the nest is alongside my driveway and due to the rain she sat long enough. It was after 5PM and overcast and dull which was a pita as the droplets on her plumage made a good subject touch. I had to drive past and stopped for an egg pic then moved on quickly.

ML eggs nest 1.jpg

ML eggs 2.jpg

Drum123

I hope youre lapwings fair better than our native lapwings have this year.Theyve had a stinker up here.
Very few chicks survived the first week of life.Shame but theyll bounce back.

dartmoordog

Having the camera ready to grab these pics is, genuinely, something I wish I could get into the habit of doing. I assume it is a real passion of yours.

Up until around 30 years ago, I would see flocks of our Lapwings, I have not seen a single Lapwing for a couple of decades now. I do believe they are seen further north, but here in the far Westcountry, sadly, nothing.

John Gryphon

Having the camera ready to grab these pics is, genuinely, something I wish I could get into the habit of doing. I assume it is a real passion of yours.
Ah I was coming home this evening after a hunt and having been rained out, both cameras on front seat. It is indeed a passion.

wind change hind.jpg

Drum123

Was the heat the problem over there?
Yeah, heat at the wrong time leading to zero insect life.Its not just the lapwings that got caned, all our upland birds took a hammering this year.The lapwing and curlew in particular , being very vocal and not the most secretive of nesters , are the most noticable by their absence now.They packed up and buggered of 3 weeks ago.No need to hang about if theyve nothing to hang about.
The red grouse and plover have also failed miserably.Been a funny old year really.

John Gryphon

Yeah, heat at the wrong time leading to zero insect life.Its not just the lapwings that got caned, all our upland birds took a hammering this year.The lapwing and curlew in particular , being very vocal and not the most secretive of nesters , are the most noticeable by their absence now.They packed up and buggered of 3 weeks ago.No need to hang about if theyve nothing to hang about.
The red grouse and plover have also failed miserably.Been a funny old year really.
The natural world adapts very quickly though and they will come back.

Drum123

The natural world adapts very quickly though and they will come back.
When i said " heat at the wrong time" i should have said "drought at the wrong time" John, The drought been caused by dry, freezing,easterly winds all April which made everything a month late.
Youre right though, theyll bounce back, they always do.