Laser eye treatment good or bad???

vulpinehunter

I know this post was aired in 2011 so things may have changed now.
I am over 60 (63 next) and need glasses /contacts for seeing far away any thoughts good or bad would be welcome.

i Did it about 13 years ago mainly for shooting reasons fogged up glasses & losing the dam things.

Painful experience i had it done on probably the hottest brightest day and it was tough on my eyes leaving surgery.

Anyway never looked back until now, as my eyesight has reverted back to same as it was .

Will from now on just wear glasses for driving & stalking .

I am 42 and had the one where they lift the flap and then laser the eye 4 years ago.

i ended up paying a bit more and going to moorfields to have a highly regarded surgeon do it, as I thought if it went badly and I had gone budget I would never forgive myself.

i have found it almost life changing, but there is some bad with it. I was minus 4.5 in short sighted terms. I couldn’t see a thing without specs or lenses so I was more prepared to take the risks of surgery. For anyone not that badly sighted I wouldn’t recommend it.

some times of the evening I am finding it a little difficult to focus on reading - but I may just need reading glasses now which I was told would happen in due course because of my age. It is also possible that within a few years my short sightedness may return as the eyes change but the requirements for specs will be very low prescription - my brother did it 15 years ago now and he thinks he may need specs again soon.

I also find a bit of “bleeding” of lights when it is dark, which means my eyesight at those times is not as good as it was with glasses.

i get quite sore eyes when swimming underwater in a chlorinated pool.

I had had to have another zap a couple of weeks after having it done as it wasn’t quite right. No extra charge but may not be the same for the lower end purveyors of the surgery.

it is true when they say the next day your vision will be really really good. It’s quite amazing how quickly the eyes recover.

would I do it again? Absolutely - I had it done just as my first kid was born and being able to wake up and see them straight away was just magical.

I had it done about 12 years ago and it is probably the best thing I have had. it took a weekend really to be able to see to a acceptable standard and it was more uncomfortable than painful.
My eyes are reasonable for distance now, can still pass the sight conditions for driving but I will be going to the optician soon as I fell that I am starting to need glasses for reading. This is fully expected and was explained at the time of the laser treatment.

I know a few people who have had this to great effect, I suspect both would do it again in a heartbeat. Personally I have 20/20 vision but will probably need glasses when I’m older as most people do. As we age the muscles which contract and expand the lense weaken and stretch so we are less able to focus, lazer surgery can’t fix this.

My wife had laser treatment about 8 years ago and is still very pleased with it, although she has now had to start using some reading glasses because of the normal age related deterioration. I think she could go back for another session of treatment but the use of reading glasses doesn’t bother her, and her distance vision improvement is still as very good as it was straight after the surgery.

Last edited:
I know this post was aired in 2011 so things may have changed now.
I am over 60 (63 next) and need glasses /contacts for seeing far away any thoughts good or bad would be welcome.
Hi
I am well into my sixties and checked out laser surgery, but was advised at my age to go for lens replacement. Sounded good but £3000 per eye was a bit too much. If you have the money check it out.
regards

Laser eye surgery is one of the most complained about treatments offered.... I don't know whether it's because people are expecting to return to the 20:20 vision of their younger years or they believe all the miracle adverts in the media and some opticians! I decide to try a contact lens for my one remaining eye and find this good as I don't have to keep cleaning my glasses - I wish I'd tried contacts when I had both eyes functioning. Still need glasses for reading/close up, but try the lens first. Did consider a monocle, but thought that might be a bit pretentious!:D

I had it done a few years ago when my intermediate vision got to the stage that I couldn't see the car dash board properly. The only issue I've had since is that before the procedure I had very pronounced right eye dominance, I ended up with 20/20 which means I now have to close one eye to shoot.
my suggestion would be to book a consultation and see what they can do for you, there are constant developments in this area, most companies will give you the initial assessment free.

Regards.
Sean.

I need glasses for distance e.g. shooting, driving, watching TV. But not for reading.

I was going to have it done a few years ago but pulled out when I realised that it would fix my distance vision but I would then need glasses for reading.

I didn't see the point in paying quite a bit merely to swop one set of glasses for another.

I need glasses for distance e.g. shooting, driving, watching TV. But not for reading.

I was going to have it done a few years ago but pulled out when I realised that it would fix my distance vision but I would then need glasses for reading.

I didn't see the point in paying quite a bit merely to swop one set of glasses for another.

A friend had it done in Harley Street for £3k-ish a few years ago and was advised and ended up with one eye for long vision and one for short...he said it took a few days to get readjusted to it but he said it has worked well, and no need for glasses.

I can't remember whether he said he was long or short sighted beforehand.

Alan

A friend had it done in Harley Street for £3k-ish a few years ago and was advised and ended up with one eye for long vision and one for short...he said it took a few days to get readjusted to it but he said it has worked well, and no need for glasses.

I can't remember whether he said he was long or short sighted beforehand.

Alan

Interesting, I quite often wear one contact lens for close up work / reading and one for distance. Its a bit wacky whilst getting used to it, almost having to remember which eye to use. I am very short sighted, worn glasses since a child and have often contemplated surgery, with age I now have to wear reading specs over my contacts hence my reason for wearing different lenses.

ATB

T

My wife did it about 20 years ago and it was life changing for her.

She took a lot of convincing to go through with it but like so many after she said she wished shed had it done sooner.

She took the decision after a second honeymoon trip to the Maldives and when we went snorkelling I was seeing the most amazing things and all she could see was a colourful blur.

She's now (over 20 years later) got glasses for reading only and they are pretty week. Long vision is still good.

I have excellent long vision but I now have rapidly deteroating short vision. It drives me mad and I wish I could get it fixed but its not recommended at my age as it will deteriorate too fast .

A friend of mine went for a consultation for laser eye surgery. When he was there he asked the consultant why he still wore glasses and never got a reply.
That made up his mind there and then if the eye surgeons's don't get it done they must know something.

I am 62 and had laser surgery about 8 years ago, best decision I ever made, and I still have 20/20 vision, I had a second op as initially had both done for distance, but still needed glasses for reading, when i went for an eyetest the optician put a disposable lens in my left eye that was the prescription of my reading glasses, well bugg*r me I could see distance and read without glasses, the brain makes the switch without you being aware so after a week like this I booked in for surgery so now my left eye is my reading eye and my right is for distance shooting etc dont worry about it go get it done
ps i was diagnosed with cancer last year and went through chemo and radio therapy and my eyes are still fine
Cheers
Ray

Last edited:
Hi
I am well into my sixties and checked out laser surgery, but was advised at my age to go for lens replacement. Sounded good but £3000 per eye was a bit too much. If you have the money check it out.
regards
Hi
I spoke to my optician only last week and the lens replacement is what he recommended. Wish I had a spare £6k to get it done. He suggested correcting distance vision and carrying on with reading glasses. I always had superb vision up until my late forties. Never got used to stalking in glasses.

At 62 I am now not so sure it will work for me but I will book to see someone about it.
Thanks for all the imput on this.
Rainy glasses and stalking do not mix well!

Back