Last Journey

howy308

Well yesterday the day finally arrived for me to take my best friend on his final journey. It took time for me to pluck up courage to say goodbye to the most loyal best friend any man could have hoped for. After having a bleed in his spine 18 months ago and after steroid treatment for temporary paralysis the vet said I might get another 6months pleasure from him. It turned out we were lucky enough to get longer. In his 15 years we have hunted and been on shoots all over the country I am going to miss him terribly as the only things he left me and the family with are great memories. RIP Roscoe my best pal ever!

Kjf

He had 15 years doing what he was supposed to do, with a great master

he couldn't have had a better life mate,

chin up

kjf

reiver

Dogs are here for to short a time but leave a scar that last a life time it gets better
but never leaves you
so sad for your loss
mowdy

reloader54

I've moved within some very dark tough places in my life so far, and never have I seen such a leveller as the sorrow of a man [no matter how tough he is in other avenues] when he loses his dog. one fellow confessed,,"Its like burying your best friend every 12 or 15 years". I myself have been where you are now. it gets easier as time passes,,, but you never forget them. I doubt many will remember me as fondly as I remember those faithful four legged friends. RIP Roscoe.

tarponhead

My deepest sympathies, but taking the responsibility when the time comes is the true measure of a man. I'll raise a glass to absent friends.

NigelM

Dogs are here for to short a time but leave a scar that last a life time it gets better
but never leaves you
so sad for your loss
mowdy

I wouldn't describe it as a scar. It's a head full of happy memories and very often funny stories that lasts until the end of your time. A beautiful thing, not an ugly one. We regularly recount the tales of the embarrassment Billy the Cocker caused us, joke about the perfect Jack the black lab and swear about the bloody mindedness of Archie the Cairn. When the current two depart, hopefully a way off, we will no doubt do the same with them.

Unfortunately dogs don't last forever, it's our job to give them the best life we possibly can. If we manage to achieve that we can be happy that we have done the right thing by them.

howy308

I would like to thank everyone for there kind posts, I still felt like he was with me all day as me and my other pal went about our walks, a very strange but comfortable feeling. not many things bring a 6 foot 3 20 stone man to tears but as I said he will be missed terribly but never, never forgotten.

urx

My collie passed march 26th at the age of 15.
He had a wonderful life and gave us great joy ...that last trip is a bad one.
As dog (or cat)owners we know that one day the bill for all that selfless friendhsip will come due.
you have to do what's right but its hard
i really feel for you.... as will anyone that has lost a friend like this.
it gets easier after a while. The good memories soothe the loss somewhat.
i found a digital phot frame with pics of him happy and having fun was helpful..