Last nights problem solved


Well-Known Member
Went over to the estate where we control a usually abundant fallow population. After a good program last year they are fewer on the ground snd having spent 1.5 hours in our banker high seat in the middle of the big wood see nothing I wandered back to the truck.There were 6 fallow on the big field slowly drifting right to a dip which would provide a good backstop . So when one stood broadside at about 100m I took my shot off the sticks. A nice thwack came back and the beast jumped but put its head down and ran off with the rest. After about 50m it went down. Left it for 5 minutes and approached from down wind but something didnt look quite right.. A good look through the binos confirmed a twitching ear.So sticks up and as I un-slung the rifle she looked at me and in a flash was off to the small copse on my left. So thought leave her for 20 minutes and put the labrador on the trail.
Back to the truck picked up the spotlight and back to the point where I saw it enter the wood.She was laying down about 10m inside and the lab found her straight away- only problem he just went upto her and licked the her so I couldn't take a shot.Up she got and crashed into the thickest bit of blackthorn she could find leaving a nice blood trail. Taking stock of the situation I decided that if I carried on following up all I would do is push her on further so beat a retreat and ring Steve Williams who is a member of BSHA and has a terrific Bavarian. Luckily he could come out next morning.

We met at 8.00 and went to point of shot. Ash was straight on the trail and into the wood suddenly all commotion and a young obviously healthy beast shot out with Ash in pursuit.Steve got him back and back on the trail. After about another 10 m Steve called out that Ash had found the beast dead and lying partially submerged in a ditch. Brilliant result because it was really thick in there.
We pulled the carcarse out which given that it was a tad chilly last night was in good condition. My shot was about 3 inches to far back and hit the liver. She was still in milk and so I imagine that the young beast nearby was probably her fawn.

Many thanks Steve and Ash. It is so good to recover the ones that run. We owe it to our quarry



Well-Known Member
Good job. I'm sure you could have just left it longer and found her dead in the morning. However it doesn't always work out and a dog is needed. I bet Steve and Ash enjoyed the track. From what I can tell the guys doing the tracking always like to get out on the real thing. I know I do and would like to do more of them (i know that sounds strange)
It's nice to read an honest account of when things do go slightly wrong, this happens to everyone at some stage in their stalking life.
I'm pleased it all worked out with Steve and Ash and the beast was recovered.


Well-Known Member
Thank you for your comments. In the dark I could not confirm when I saw her in the wood where my shot had gone. She was so "lively" I was concerned that she that she could easily disappear into the 60 acres of wood land behind her. I knew she hadn't gone far in there as it was so thick and that if I left her she would probably feel safe and stay.