Law change on muntjac

James0586

I would be careful with this as the majority of what we shoot is introduced non native!

Fallow
Roe
Muntjac
CWD
Sika
Grey squirrel
Pheasant
Partridge

Bit of an own goal if we keep saying what a great idea it is to kill all non natives etc... and shoot them at night because someone has more ground than they can manage / cope with!

This blocks out the stalkers who are willing to help and do it for free.... senseless!

I believe that we should have open access across the country and possibly bring in deer tags like the states. Everyone has the right to take deer and fill the freezer for their families that way and would allow everyone the opportunity to participate.

If you don’t use all your tags you have less next year this would sort out the people who have loads of land and deer and don’t do nothing with it....

The badger cull didn’t work and the shooting of deer at night would be a horrendous idea and would destroy deer numbers considerably.

Bit silly this?

SDM

They've been here for over 100 years we are not going to get rid of them now that's for sure so it's about time we shown them some respect:popcorn: the building of houses on every plot of land available is pushing all animals to areas were they have not been seen before, roads are busier than ever so collisions are inevitable.
Sorry moan over SDM

Orion

The badger cull didn’t work and the shooting of deer at night would be a horrendous idea and would destroy deer numbers considerably.

Bit silly this?
I don’t believe anyone is advocating putting any introduced species on an open licence footing, or amending the Deer Act to allow blanket night shooting! :rolleyes:

If specific night shooting licences were to be issued for, say, muntjac in certain sensitive locations, then it might help with the management of the species and go some way to improving the habitats that we hear they are negatively affecting?

And how didn’t the badger cull work? It’s far too early to state that, as the various licences are still ongoing, with many areas only starting their second year of culling - even the trial areas have only just entered maintenance regimes. Or are you listening to Mr May for your information?

tom reveley

Woodlands trust are a waste of time 3 lots of shooting around Durham /northumberland went to mates. Of the di from Cumbria make what you think out of that

mudman

To those who advocate zero tolerance and try to eradicate muntjac on a local level. When you see a muntjac kid a few days old hunkered down do you dispatch it? Or do you walk on by and hope to see it again in few months time.......... always wondered about this

Last edited:

The fourth Horseman

Sorry but Roe are native to Britain. Ok some were reintroduced in the South but Scotland had them on the Hill hundreds of years ago. If you look at some of the species killed in the old Highland Tainchels you will find Roes, as you will in Tudor times.

DJB266

I believe that we should have open access across the country and possibly bring in deer tags like the states. Everyone has the right to take deer and fill the freezer for their families that way and would allow everyone the opportunity to participate.

If you don’t use all your tags you have less next year this would sort out the people who have loads of land and deer and don’t do nothing with it....
I see your point but the difficulty being they have “public land” under which they can hunt. Over here there is no such thing as “public land”, everything is owned by someone hence why we need permissions to hunt if we want too anywhere other than our own land.

If you allowed people to hunt anywhere they wanted it would be a nightmare for land owners!

Reactions: JTO

fallow me

Here you go, latest update and clarification:
Interesting how this is being implemented by by the UK government under an EU directive on the same day we will leave the EU !!

Twodogs

Wether any species is deemed an invasive alien species or not is surely down to an arbitrarily drawn line in history, one could argue that man is actually an invasive alien species to these lands. Food for thought?

kennyc

Interesting how this is being implemented by by the UK government under an EU directive on the same day we will leave the EU !!
not really, it just takes time to implement these things and the schedule was probably set before the Brexit date, anyway does the fact that it is an EU directive matter? when it was agreed we were a full voting member so were "the EU" I'm sure there will be a lot of EU directives in the pipeline in the next few months/years slowly making their way down the road, all agreed and signed up to by HMG, the World isn't going to end/stop just because of a date in March

25 Sharps

Night shooting (but obviously with no bounty) might be a more productive method of control? And AFAIK venison fetches a better price at the game dealer than badger! ;)
Have you never heard of badger ham?? It’s a West Country delicacy!

And to be fair the price the dealers pay around here for muntjac it’s not worth putting them in. If they were serious about eradicating then then night shooting licences would be the way to do it. Would be a shame though though I can see the need for it in some areas and situations they aren’t a problem on my ground, numbers are sensible.

Grey partridge numbers are notably up on my ground this year, nothing to do with the muntjac population mind!

25 Sharps

Wether any species is deemed an invasive alien species or not is surely down to an arbitrarily drawn line in history, one could argue that man is actually an invasive alien species to these lands. Food for thought?
Um, not really, that ecosystem doesn’t exist anymore whereas pretty much all ecosystems in the uk are man made or at least influenced.

25 Sharps

I would be careful with this as the majority of what we shoot is introduced non native!

Fallow
Roe
Muntjac
CWD
Sika
Grey squirrel
Pheasant
Partridge

Bit of an own goal if we keep saying what a great idea it is to kill all non natives etc... and shoot them at night because someone has more ground than they can manage / cope with!

This blocks out the stalkers who are willing to help and do it for free.... senseless!

Bit silly this?

Fallow
Roe
Muntjac
CWD
Sika
Grey squirrel
Pheasant
Partridge

Bit silly this?
Deer tags like the states wouldn’t work, we don’t have big wide open spaces that hold deer and as DJB66 says most land is privately owned.

I personally don’t think all and sundry should have access to shoot in the countryside. Too many gung ho folk out there for that, at least having to gain permission puts some kind of check on who’s out shooting. Not always perfect but better than all and sundry our around the countryside shooting at each other.

As for non native species, those that cause the greatest damage I feel should be wiped out, grey squirrels and American cray fish, mink.

Pheasants and red legged partridge are never going to be a real issue as thy have too many natural predators and are introduced to maintain numbers. Plus managing ground for them brings huge benefits to other wildlife.

For the deer species there’s a very strong argument for removing all the sika to try and protect the pure reds from interbreeding, I wouldn’t have an issue with this.

CWD don’t think have much impact and numbers are already in check. Fallow and muntjac need to be managed hard in some areas, don’t have an issue with that and I think it’s a good idea.

As for the cull not working, too early to tell!