Lead free bullets

Dexter

Sadly I have now discovered that Varget is not compatible with Fox Bullets. I just can't get enough of it in the case using 130 grain bullets either!
This reloading lark is starting to get expensive!
Can anyone give me an idea of how much a tub of N135 costs please?

Alantoo

Sadly I have now discovered that Varget is not compatible with Fox Bullets. I just can't get enough of it in the case using 130 grain bullets either!
£90 per kg according to Dauntsey...but you would need to find somewhere handy to you that stocked it...unless Edinburgh Rifles are doing another round Britain delivery some time soon.

1967spud is in your county...

Alan

Dexter

£90 per kg according to Dauntsey...but you would need to find somewhere handy to you that stocked it...unless Edinburgh Rifles are doing another round Britain delivery some time soon.

1967spud is in your county...

Alan
Thank you Alan. I will have a ring around tomorrow.

Edinburgh Rifles

am intrigued
Quickload puts a stout charge of 44.5gr of Varget at 110% compressed using the factory OAL for Fox 150gr ammunition
in a 24" barrel its pushing them at 2833fps
in a 22" barrel - 2784fps

the factory load for 150gr Fox is
45gr N540 at 60.5gr 105% compressed
Proof House test MV at 2840fps Actual MV
Quickload 22" MV - 2785fps
Quickload 24" MV - 2829fps

For 130gr
Factory load 45gr N135 at 69.5mm OAL
110% compressed
Proof test MV 3005fps Actual MV
Quickoad 22" MV - 2900 fps
Quickload 24" MV - 2955 fps

Varget Quickload prediction:
46.5gr at 69.5mm 107% compressed
24" MV - 2970fps
22" MV - 2915fps

What I am trying to say is the theoretical Quickload predictions against known and measured MV of factory ammunition is extremely close
The Varget load you indicate is a low one
Get a drop tube or just tap the cases and compress the powder
Powder compression is not a problem if it is not developing too much pressure

the pressure from the 110% compressed N135 load is actually developing less pressure than the less compressed loads using other powders

Dexter

Thank you Ed. I didn't realise that I could get away with compressing it that much. Like I say, I am quite new to this re-loading and have no load data for Fox bullets and Varget. I will keep going with the 150 grains and also load up some 130's and see what the results look like.
Many thanks for you help.

Edinburgh Rifles

get me the date for:
Barrel length (and twist, or make of rifle as a start)
Case capacity (weight, tare scale, fill with water, weigh again.) gets the volume
can fine tune that for your load

compression is not always bad
Varget is a good powder for 308 although you will run out and after than you will have to choose another

nicke92

does sone one have a good loade for fox bullet 123gr 6.5x55 i have rs60 and vv n150 vv n560 vv n130 max col 79mm thanks to mag or else its 81mm

Olaf

Does anyone have any load data I could start with for the 110 TTSX in a .308? I was thinking of N133 or N135

Going over to head shooting as per the game deers request so looking for a very flat flying round that will hit hard.
Sad sad sad. What a silly thing to do , all for some numpty of a game dealer who’s going to fleece you backwards and that’s after only paying £1 per kg. I’d suggest you go to a buyer that isn’t a complete wanger.
kindest regards, Olaf

pj1

Here are two groups using peregrine lead free also some Edinburgh rifles. I haven’t used them in anger yet but these seem very consistent. Annoyingly pulled the lower shot on the five shot group and only four shots on the other as I had to dial in.
Sauer 202 in 6.5x55 24 inch barrel 118 gn peregrine bullet. Half inch dot target and inch grid. Slight right to left wind.
41E70066-7489-42DF-84EC-26112E1CB597.jpeg
74623AF3-419D-4B3E-8F51-C29B3EC710C2.jpeg

nicke92

those look nice i have been working and working on a loade that will give me those grups my smallest have been 6x10cm but my 308 180gr is 1x1cm at 100m and running at 2990joule at 100m good for bear and moose but want the small 123gr for rodeer and bever hunting if i get these to work but is so wierd loades.. the bullet does it not like to be close to the refling ?? or does it like big ff??

nicke92

how big jump does the fox bullets like?? right now i go on 2mm but does it go better with out the plastic tip?? and then it will be like 77mm still or should i go 79??

Highlander

Too new on the block yet, and could be simple marketing hype but the new Sako Powerblade looks interesting.

Monolithic bullet with cavity as per Barnes but the cavity would seem to have pre-cut grooves on the internal surface, and this together with a plastic tip that has a wedge profile aligned with these grooves may mean more reliable expansion?

This bullet, together with RWS pushing food safe tin as an alternative may mean more "reliable / forgiving" non lead bullets coming on to the market.

Personally having not used monolithic type bullets this is somewhat of conjecture, but this gradual but seemingly inevitable (unless, ironically, the welfare aspect plays a role in maintaining the lead option) push towards "greener" options, could mean that the 6.5mm becomes the new 6mm in terms of sheer numbers of hunting rifles chambered.
For that matter the good old 270 with the 110 grain may see a resurgence for visiting rifles to Scotland (it never disappeared for the residents).