Lead v copper on youtube

MarkH

Hi

I have just been pinged this link about research on lead contamination of venison.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJXderphCM

There are three clips in the series.
It makes interesting watching and possibly explains why some of the older stalkers act a bit strange as the lead levels build up.:evil:

Mark

Trapper

Mark H
you are a quiete chap!. Hows them hounds of yours!. Have you been out on the boon docks as well!. Interesting stuff there ,. looking at the film !. I guess lead gets into us all sometime!., perhaps its the slow drawl that kicks in ! :lol: Havn't seen the other clips but will endeavour to .
Stay Well
Trapper .

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Ahhhh thats why hair starts growing out of every orafice of the body on older stalkers, its the lead contamination :lol: :lol:

Too much copper will probably turn you slightly green over years as well bit like verdigrease :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

monynut

sikamalc said:
Ahhhh thats why hair starts growing out of every orafice of the body on older stalkers, its the lead contamination :lol: :lol:

Quite agree Malk but how does that explain the loss of hair on the top of me head :lol: :lol: maybe its not hair loss at all its just being replaced elswhere :D

MarkH

Hi Trapper

Still shooting mt fair share of beasts but generally nothing to report. The hounds are fine and improving as the general pheasant population diminishes.
I ran out of copper bullets the other week so loaded up some accubonds which is a nice bullet but the meat damage on a roe was 2-3 times greater than the coppers so I'll have to bite the bullet and buy another 100 copper bullets.I have been using copper bullets exclusivly for the past three years. I eat to much venison to risk that much lead.
Here are the two other links
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Wbj41j67A

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=sdKlubTRkk8

Video three is the most interesting using CT scans of venison from a butchers.

Mark

Trapper

Mark
Interesting stuff ! there was a lot of crud in them beasts
I might try copper bullets now!, I am well informed , I couln't find the bullet from my last beast ! so I presume I have eaten it .:oops:
Regards Trapper

Trapper

I thought, I was panning for gold !! :eek:
But jesting aside Mark has a very valid point. 8)
But untill I change my habits, :lol: :lol: the neighbours can have the flanks!!!
;) Trapper

mole trapper

On a related theme, you jest about porcelain shrapnel wounds, i was blue lighted into A+E 5 years back with a suspected apendacitus with septasimia, they opened me up took out my apendix but it was fine so then they zipped me open proper, gralloch on the table hosed it down , cut out a four inch section and put it back in, they reckon the only thing they could think caused it was a shard of broken bone from all the game i eat, nearly done for me they reckoned.
Watch out for bits of bone believe me. ;)

Trapper

EEEEER! :eek:
:idea: Mole Trapper from now on I will look out for extra small bits , and feed em to the neighbours cat ,as it still won't leave my garden alone , even! I couldn't do that! :eek: . No more cooked bones for my dogs though as they do like a good nag! :(
Well I will have to more careful as well at crimbo ,coz its Partridge for my main course !Hope there isn't any lead winetts!.

Sorry Mark had to be done mate !.
Cheers Trapper

griff

GS custom has evidence of the effect on carcass contamination from lead bullets, it does not however show the to what extent it reaches from the impact point.
While I agree that copper is the way to go it will never be as effective as lead until it has the same shrapnel effect.
If we ever reach that scenario with copper then as pointed out in the previous post that several razor sharp shards of copper will do far more damage to the intestinal tract than lead..

I also believe that one of the reason for this lead contamination in the meat is that we try to save as much meat as is possible without thinking of the consequences.
We are totally ruthless when it comes to butchering a carcass, if it has been shot thru the shoulders then they are discarded, same for any other parts..

regards
griff

8x57

Distinguished Member
If any one is considering changing to solid copper bullets and they use MOD ranges (Bisley included) for zeroing they may find that these bullets are banned.
Also I don't know if it is only a myth, but isn't a copper nail supposed to kill a tree if driven in to it? If so would stalkers be welcome in forests if using copper bullets.

MarkH

Hi Griff

You will find on some of the copper bullet designs that the tip is designed to fragment with the first 5cm of penetration.

93-mm-Leiter-mit-Feder.jpg

THe difference is that the fragments are large, usually 3-7 and can be easily spotted. The copper fragment also has a copper taste so is easy to locate in food in you are unlucky. It is easier to find than copper jacket from a ballistic tip which is very thin
Lead turns into a fine dust on impact rather than the shrapnel lumps mentioned which are almost impossible to see and are tasteless.

8x57

You are correct about copper bullets and MOD ranges. THe MOD have banned their use after some fired bullets were found behind a backstop at Bisley and are investigating whether it is ricochette, human error or foul play. Please note this is peculiar finding and has not occured in Europe or the US to my knowledge. MOD will need to test the bullets and this is not a high priority to them so we may have to wait a while.
As far as copper and trees are concerned I dont know about toxicity but normal bullets have a copper jacket that if fired into a tree encapsulated the lead so the tree wont know whether it is a solid copper or jacketed bullet. If in doubt try not to shoot at the trees as no forester likes metallic objects in their timber.

Mark

rarms

Mark,

What brand are you using and where do you source the copper? Are you using them in your 7x64?

Kyle

MarkH

Hi Kyle

Hows the dog training going? Its a year now since the terrors left our kitchen.
I use KJG bullets made in Germany by Lutz Moeller
http://www.lima-wiederladetechnik.de/
Having used them exclusively in all my calibers (7x64) for 3 years I ran out and loaded up some Hornady Interbonds which grouped well to the same point of aim. However KJG win hands down in regards to their ability to hit hard without creating extensive meat damage which is full of lead and copper foil. So I have just recieved a nice new box of bullets for the next years cull.
booking001-1.jpg

Mark

griff

Mark,
Is that fragmentation across the board with all calibers, I did consider Barnes X some years ago but could never get them to group.
GS also don't do the bullet weight that I require,has to be a min 140gn so that I can shoot boar with the gun as well..

regards
griff

rarms

Mark,

Dog is going ok, is indeed about a year now, we were reminded of this the other night when we put the tree up and found we only had plastic balls, purchased as they were puppy proof :)

Is there a UK distributor or how do you come about them? How much do they cost is the other important question :D

MarkH

Hi Griff and Kyle.

If you go to the link in my post above there is a list of calibers/ bullet weights(in German but self explainatory), email Lutz direct for price etc.

Have a great Christmas and New Year

Mark

New Avon Arms