Least appropriate toy

buckup

While filling in the questionaire about likes and dislikes, I hesitated at the question "favourite toy". It made me think back to all the toys I had which in todays pinky left safe society would make your toes curl.
Like.......
Putting matches into old barrell keys and heating them over a match till they ignited and flew out. I took this a step further and ground off several match heads as a propellent and squeezed closed a split shot and rammed it down the key...........Got caught shooting holes in cardboard boxes at some distance!

Carving darts and launching them from a whip into............somewhere?

Bows and arrows

catapaults

Oh happy days! Over to you........................................................ :D

Hi Buckup,
You nail a strong peg to a piece of wood and at the other end fastened a lacky band. You then put a sharpened lollipop stick into the lacky band and then into the jaws of the peg. Then you aim it at the big Ginger Tom from next door! ;)

I know the type! We used to make them with two bits of wood forming a cross, like a low powered crosbow! :)

Dads and Grandads allways were the best teachers, but why did they then give us a bol....ing and deny all knowledge when we got caught by our mums? :confused:

blow guns using a bic pen and a bit of , well what ever would blow through it
chem teacher used to hate us

We used to make darts from matchsticks, with a paper flight and a pin glued and wrapped with cotton. We then threw these at each others backs to make them stick in :rolleyes: God what were we thinking, but them were the days. :D

wadashot

poddle said:
Dutch Arrows, bloody deadly at 80 yards,
Needs explaining, I think a lot of these things had "local" names, so I've never heard of Dutch arrows (London boy).

3 ft length of 1/2 in copper pipe and rolled up balls of putty bloody deadly and dangerous also we used to make our own catapults with tyre inner tubes also bloody dangerous, if only we knew then what we know know :eek:

The Dutch arrows we used in deepest Kent were in effect the same as an arrow from a bow and arrow, but shorter. There was a notch cut in the top near to the flight, apiece of string was wrapped around this notch then run down the length of the arrow, keeping it taught, then wrapped around your hand. It a throwing aid, you then threw the arrow at your target, it was surprising how good you could get. Is this the same thing?

We were also quite fond of our bows and arrows though, we used to fix nail files and the business ends of darts to them, I can actually claim kills with these. Happy day's, kids got hurt sometimes badly, but we all remember our childhood, injuries and all, fondly.

John

Yes JayB we made our arrows in the same fashion, tremendous force could be produced from a good one, and if you had a good arm, well you were certainly in possession of a lethal weapon.

WE could easily get one out of sight if thrown into the air at a steep angle.
Trouble was when the bugger came back down and shudderd into the ground beside you, bloody **** yerself
:lol:

Poddle,
We had a time honoured practice involving a bow and arrow, you had to lay on your back, brace your feet against the bow and grasp the string. Instead of pulling back on the string you extended your legs and were able to produce greater pressure. The aim was to get the arrow to go out of sight, but as you say when the bloody things came back down it could get quite exciting. In fact one young girl lost an eye watching for the arrow to return, it hit her in the face, if the bloody thing had been a direct hit in her eye it would have been fatal. Of course being young and immortal we carried on just the same :confused: :confused:

John

all of that stuff

Swimming in grandpas duck pond, skating on it in the winter, jumping off bridges into the river. but the most damgerous thing was getting grandpas alsation to kill farm geese and then hoping that my cousins wouldn't grass on me. the old boy would have nailed me to the barn

We used to do this thing called a jungle bunny [ don't know why it was called that].
Any way we used to open one set of lock gates on the canal , then open the other sets paddles fully open and then jump into the huge water flow, this pulled you under the water pushed you to the bottom of the canal, you came back to the surface about 50 yds down stream.

Mad or what and we did this every summer the worst bit was the horse flys though bit like bugger.

We used to have gun battles in the avenue with “Gat Guns” (low powered air pistols) no darts and not head shots were the rules, :eek: we used to stuff news papers inside our clothes to take the sting away.

Could you imagine it today, we would of had armed response and a helicopter in the street with in minutes. :rolleyes:

Best rgds

Thar

innapropriate toys

If the Police decide to ask the question, 'What was your most innapropriate childhood toy' on Fac renewal forms there will be a lot of cheap rifles on the Market.

Ezzy.

Back