Legalities of culling escapee farmed Red deer

Hi

I have recently aquired a 300 acre permission that has a Red deer farm next to it. There are half a dozen or so red deer that have escaped over the past 3 years and are now according to the landowner on my permission as residents. He would like me to cull these deer but I am unsure of the legal position bearing in mind the have certainily originated from the deer farm next door.

I have shot escapees without any problems. They fall over just like any other deer, maybe quicker due to the weight of the tag:D The farm they came from was notified and they weren't bothered. My only concern was if they had been jagged with imobolon.

Havent got that close to them yet , They are very timid and flighty so I think any imobolon they have ever been treated with is long gone. They appear to be resident on my permission and the landowner thinks they have been there about 2 1/2 years.

I think I'd ask the deer farm next door what they think ? just out of politeness ?

of course if they are on your land then I'm pretty sure legally you can shoot them ? I'm sure someone will be along soon with a definitive answer?

Is there a difference in ownership rights if they are classed as 'farmed' deer and have ear tags as such? Wouldn't it then be like shooting tour neighbours cows if they strayed onto your farm?

Are they not meant to be appropriately tagged 'not for human consumption' if Immobolon has ever been administered?

I can't see that there's any distinction between indigenous wild or feral deer .... whether these are tagged or not. The previous owner doesn't own them any more.

If you've got permission from the landowner of your (permission :rolleyes:) then surely you're free to shoot them, assuming the season is right of course.

Is there a difference in ownership rights if they are classed as 'farmed' deer and have ear tags as such? Wouldn't it then be like shooting tour neighbours cows if they strayed onto your farm?
Absolutely correct, visibly marked escaped deer are treated exactly the same as any other escaped domestic livestock see http://www.torfaen.gov.uk/en/Relate.../Animals-Stray/Your-rights-as-a-landowner.pdf if they are not visibly marked they are according both to the Forestry Commission and Natural England considered to be "Feral wild deer" and are treated exactly the same as any other wild deer.

If you want to cull the escapees first you need to identify the owner, even if they are on your land and get their permission, otherwise you may be liable for 2 serious criminal offences 1. criminal damage- if you kill the deer and 2. Theft if you keep the carcase.

atb Tim

I can't see that there's any distinction between indigenous wild or feral deer .... whether these are tagged or not. The previous owner doesn't own them any more.

If you've got permission from the landowner of your (permission :rolleyes:) then surely you're free to shoot them, assuming the season is right of course.

No, escaped livestock remain property even whilst at large.(see Thornley & Parkes, 2nd edition)

atb Tim

So farmed deer are 'livestock', just like cows and sheep? Can you post the definition?

from Ian Gambles of FC "deer that have escaped from captivity and are not visibly marked are considered feral wild deer"

There is a definition of farmed deer somewhere on the DEFRA site ,but the critical thing appears to be whether or not they are tagged.

atb Tim

images
I see you have one of those "Get out of Jail " tags there then?:D, "Would you consider parting with it?"

We have an estate nearby that tags wild red deer when they are calves for research purposes. There would b no law against culling these animals. My point being, that unless you are close enough to read the tag, how would you know if it was wild or farmed?
MS

Back