Legendary Landrover Defender Reliability

gixer1

Not great designs for utility now and they seem to pander to the yuppy crowd which I understand from a sales and business perspective, it’s a shame as the brand is surviving on status symbol sales alone.

if I was land rover CEO and my product was listed as bottom of the list on the reliability index for the last few years I’d be making drastic changes, but it seems the revenue short term is more important than reputation and customer service.

the next line of more money than sense morons will still buy the newest model to show how fashionable they are.

regards,
Gixer

jer

It makes you wonder what the quality of the parts used in Land Rover production might be and if they have done sufficient pre testing before launching a model, surely they must know they are releasing an unreliable product. Most of the German and Japanese car makers have these types of issues sorted out and for the price you are paying for a LR you should be getting top quality reliable products.

Jimbob39

Having spent time working at JLR it’s not difficult to see why they are struggling. Far to many think they knows work there and very few with any real world experience of working on cars. 18 months was plenty for me, just before the market fell out of premium cars. Very poor reliability as too complex with no joined up thinking between component engineers.

Jimbob39

Sadly I rest my case! A software update to resolve an issue has not worked as expected due to component owners not communicating! Saw the exact same issue on Ipace! Shame as I think it’s a great car, just poor engineering letting it down again.

Heym SR20

I hope the Grenadier get these sorts of things correct. What we want is simple and strong that can be fixed with a spanner.

A car of the road because a camera does not work. What’s wrong with Mk1 eyeball. You don’t need through vehicle vision of road below you. Look at the road ahead and read the road. If its below you its too late!!!

TundB

As a powertrain engineer in automotive sector, i would never touch or suggest any JLR product due to huge reliability issues. They look great outside but will feed off your pocket to run one.

landkeeper

The appeal for most landrover owners was allways the simplicity of them
A bacic tool set and common sense could see most problems solved and rectified roadside or hedgeside at worst most could be sorted by you and a few friends at home !
That things got more sensors and ecu's (82)than the enterprise ,all well and good till they upkcuf if it was german or japanese id have faith.Jlr nooooo thanks
Jlr have lost the plot its just another gimic gizmo laden timebomb like the rest of the range

308tikka

As a powertrain engineer in automotive sector, i would never touch or suggest any JLR product due to huge reliability issues. They look great outside but will feed off your pocket to run one.

Out of curiosity what do you drive?

Im just about to move my 300tdi defender on after 230k miles.

I wont be replacing with a new ‘defender’ thats for sure.