Less meat damage in .308

Tikka T3X

Hello folks
I want to ask if anybody have good experience to share here for bullets and brands in .308 with minimal meat damage for small game such a goats ,roe deer etc.
Regards

srvet

Barnes TTSX in 130g if you can get them. If not then Hornady GMX. Eat right up to the hole!

YoungGun

Srvet,

I am expirementing with the exact bullet. What sort of velocity are you sending them downrange at and have you used them for neck shots ?

Mungo

This may seem wildly improbable, but I found that Norma 150gr ballistic tips (which use a Nosler bullet) actually worked amazingly well on roe.

They did make a mess if you put it through a shoulder, but a clean heart/lung shot punched a reasonably big hole with very little damage beyond the hole.

They were also extremely good for head shots - inside 80 yards or so, the head more or less vapourises.

I also tried the Federal 130gr ballistic tips in .270 (again, a nosler bullet), and found similar: avoid big bones, and it just punched a 2 inch hole. They wound was so clean that on one occasion a colleague was able to collect blood from the chest cavity to use to calibrate a DNA sequencer.

stubear

Federal power shock 150 grain
+1 on that. I heart/lung shot a CWD with that exact round last year and I got almost all the meat off the ribs - Great shooting round that does minimal carcass damage.

At the other end of the scale I have heard the 123gr Sako's do a lot of damage so maybe avoid those if you're trying rounds out.

srvet

Srvet,

I am expirementing with the exact bullet. What sort of velocity are you sending them downrange at and have you used them for neck shots ?
3000fps at the muzzle and I have used them for head and neck shots without issue. Lots of energy transferred!

Tikka T3X

Thanks guys
What about bullets HPBT like Sierra match king 168gr ,they shouldn't expand too much and will make less damage isn't,only vital organs will be destroyed , if anybody have good experience with this kind of bullets pls let say.

srvet

By reputation the match kings are unreliable. Of the match bullets the Amax work best but will damage meat as they are frangible. If you want to limit meat damage look for either monometal bullets, bonded core lead bullets or slow and heavy lead core bullets. Alternatively head/neck shoot with light fast and frangible bullets but be very careful to get it right!!

lots of information here

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.308+Winchester+7.62+NATO.htm

bear in mind that long range hunting is very different with regard to bullet choice as the projectiles need to function at reduced terminal velocity. If you use a frangible bullet at high velocity (close range) expect to throw a lot of venison away

Last edited:

Highlandsjohn

Thanks guys
What about bullets HPBT like Sierra match king 168gr ,they shouldn't expand too much and will make less damage isn't,only vital organs will be destroyed , if anybody have good experience with this kind of bullets pls let say.

Vladislav, Matchking are Sierra's target bullets. I dont think you can use them on game animals even in England..:D

sauer

Matchkings are an out out target bullet ...will just pencil thru and deer will run , if bulletproof placement bang on fine but still need a dog if you have bit of cover

Paul

nun_hunter

Thanks guys
Sierra do a 165 grain HPBT Game King that is designed for deer and is quite a rough bullet so will penetrate well but shouldn't fragment too much and cause excessive meat damage. It is designed to mimic the 168 grain MK so is very accurate.

NigelM

There are very good reports coming out of the US about the new Tipped Match King bullets. Terminal behaviour is very much like Amax so work well for long range work like the kiwi's indulge in. They certainly don't pencil like the conventional Match Kings, although like an Amax, if TV is too high they will do a lot of carcass damage.

pip308

I have found rws 150g cone point works very well on muntjac and fallow. Very little meat damage.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk