"lets Twist again" rate of Twist for 6.5 specifically .260 rem and non-lead ammunition

patrol01

So I’m looking into a re barrel for an old 75 probably light fluted barrel not sure on length, But getting conflicting information, I’m looking to shoot between 120 and 140 grn both lead and non-lead . Previous recommendations are an 8 or 8.5 Twist rate however there are people saying if going to load lead free and if using heavier bullets look at a 1 in 7 , any one with experience and recommendations out there ?

arron

Speak with Ronin on here ,, he will put you right and do the work also !! Nothing but glowing reports from customers

Ronin

Distinguished Member
8 / 8.5 works well with most 6.5 solids - I’ve used them in 95-120 class range with zero accuracy issues once load dev done

baguio

Barnes LRX 127 grain say 1/8 twist or faster. I've also shot 140 grain lead (various) and 120 grain Neilson. All shoot well with my 1/8 twist Sako. However, if Ronin say's 1/8.5 also works I would be inclined to believe him.

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Though have used 140-142 class in 8 tw 6.5/284 extensively and not had any accuracy or stabilisation issues

See no difference in solids of that weight though see no reason to use such weight (which would effectively be single shot and custom throated ) due to length of projectile