Leupold torx

Zio65

Hello everyone, someone can help me to know the size of the two lateral torx screws mounted on the Leupold PRW2 rings code 174084, unfortunately or due to a bad key or perhaps the quality of the screws is not exceptional, I need to replace two of them, indeed if you also tell me how to remove the old ones with the ruined head seat you do me a big favor, talk to the importer Leupold here and what impossible, thank you all for your future suggestions
Zio65

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 33

Kalahari

Option of last resort, vise grips will grip and put a bit of a flat on and should let you undo them. They will be ruined but they don't seem to be pristine anyway. (Take the scope out first so that any slips don't cause damage).

David.

Donkey Basher

Another option to get them out is to use a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a hex bit adaptor & the correct sized Torx bit. Set the wrench to 'undo' then with the head in the palm of your hand & the handle against your fingers press down hard & turn you whole hand. You need to make sure that the torx bit stays engaged in the head of the screw.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to find the correct replacement torx screws but would bin those rings & replace with something like Burris Signature Zee rings.

Good luck & hope you get the screws out 🤞

Zio65

Thanks for the advice, for now I would not like to change the rings, it remains to know the size of the two screws, I think they are not metric but imperial

Zio65

Zio65

If someone can be useful the measures of the Leupold screws are 6-32 UNC X .375, T-15 TORX

welshwarrior

So first option good quality torx but that fits very well.
Hope you don’t need to got to option 2 or 3.

As for replacement I’ve a box of Leupold spare screws if your local your welcome to have a dig in.

MarinePMI

I had a similar problem with mounts by another manufacturer and solved it by using a really good quality Torx bit in an impact driver rather than a key.
This ^^^^

I would add that a manual impact wrench is what you're after (as well as a solid grip on the work piece). Had to use this method for a Leupold base that had the screws rust into the receiver of a Rem 700 I had. Worked like a charm.

20-250

This ^^^^

I would add that a manual impact wrench is what you're after (as well as a solid grip on the work piece). Had to use this method for a Leupold base that had the screws rust into the receiver of a Rem 700 I had. Worked like a charm.
I don’t doubt the learned member’s advice. But being an impatient type, who doesn’t own a manual impact wrench, I can state that an 18 volt Ryobi does this job as well as it fastened my roof trusses on...

MarinePMI

I don’t doubt the learned member’s advice. But being an impatient type, who doesn’t own a manual impact wrench, I can state that an 18 volt Ryobi does this job as well as it fastened my roof trusses on...
Good to know. I only mention the manual impact driver, as it is much more controllable, less likely to snap a cap head off, and can give a much sharper impact with a metal hammer of suitable weight.

Edinburgh Rifles

Nothing wrong with genuine Leupold fixings
They are a lot better than Sako!!
Oversized torx
Hammer it into place carefully
Use a spanner or small wrench to undo being careful not to change angle of bit

May help to soak in penetrating fluid or heat gently with small gas torch or lighter

safer

I think good quality (Wera or Weha) right sized torx will do the job. Failing that in that situation I would make those screws flat head with Dermel cutting disk and again use good quality shallow ground screwdriver. Good luck.

Utectok

Last resort is get flat sheet of steel drill a small hole in it and weld through it to the head of the screw then turn sheet to undo. Probably not needed in your case but works well if the heads totally gubbed