Lever Action

I've always fancied a BLR for driven boar. .30-06, 358W and if you could get it, 9.3x62 in something that cycles that fast sounds a lot of fun to me.

I reckon 357 would make a great roe round in practice but legally is difficult:

In England for roe it won't make the 1,700 ftlbs ME (at least I don't think it will) and in Scotland it needs the 2,450 fps MV which seems to be really fast for 357.

ATB,

Scrummy

I have a Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70 and I love it. I had it set up with a red dot sight on it but have now swapped over to Skinner sights.

I've still yet to christen it but as others have said its a great sub 100y woodland stalking rifle.

I have a win 94 in 30/30, a rossi r92 in 357 and a BLR in 308, all carbines.
Whilst I have jacketed bullets almost all my shooting is with cast boolits with gas checks in the 30/30 and 308, a medium load of RL7 and 2400 respectively get me around 2000 fps with 170 grn FPs and they do everything I either need or want. The 357 thrives on plain base TL 158 grn swc in front of lovex d036 or a pinch of Universal for indoor shooting.
bar zeiss.JPGlever guns.jpg

Whilst I have jacketed bullets almost all my shooting is with cast boolits with gas checks in the 30/30 and 308, a medium load of RL7 and 2400 respectively get me around 2000 fps with 170 grn FPs and they do everything I either need or want. The 357 thrives on plain base TL 158 grn swc in front of lovex d036 or a pinch of Universal for indoor shooting.
View attachment 359003View attachment 359006
16gn of 2400 is a good performer in 30-30 and cheap too.
Never tried rl7. What kind of charge weight?👍

A friend used a .308 BLR after the despicable Hurd and the toad like Hogg banned his pump action Remington 760 also in .308.

Winchester's Model 88 if ever seen here is worth considering. But the classic box (rotary) magazine lever rifle is by Savage.
I have two used Winchester's Model 88 magazines if anyone is looking.

View attachment 359003View attachment 359006
Do you shoot them at the Deal range?
I shot my first ever beast, a pronghorn in New Mexico in 1993 with a Contender pistol in .35 Rem I still have it, now there is a 336 Marlin in .35 Rem up for grabs over here for 499 Euros but I need a new rifle like no way agh!!!!!

Last edited:
357 at Deal range downloaded to low ME and sub 1200 fps. or club 38 special ammo, DoY's range for the others and also hythe and dymchurch ranges when there are no Ukes about and the police have had their turns. I have some other venues open to me if necessary.
Smellydog low to mid 20 grains, the RL7 is cheaper than the 2400 basically because it's from the late 80s, pressure is supposed to be lower at this velocity which pleases me and as the gun is 67 years old it's happy, too. I used to use it for 100 grain Speer plinkers but I sold my stache of those off when I started using cast big time. It's actually quite a useful propellant, not only for the winchester but for many 30 sized milsurp guns using cast.
I think I only have half a bottle left so shortly I'll have to spend a bit time working up a new load using Lovex D063 which is a virtual RL7 substitute or D037.2 which is slightly slower than 2400 or branch out into S040 or D060 as my stock of 2400 is down to a couple of bottles.
I'm moving over to Lovex propellants as they are significantly less expensive than the American competition and, probably more importantly, more available.
If you shoot cast then Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article is a good read and for 30/30 The Frugal Outdoorsman gives plenty info. All to be taken lightly salinated.

357 at Deal range downloaded to low ME and sub 1200 fps. or club 38 special ammo, DoY's range for the others and also hythe and dymchurch ranges when there are no Ukes about and the police have had their turns. I have some other venues open to me if necessary.
Smellydog low to mid 20 grains, the RL7 is cheaper than the 2400 basically because it's from the late 80s, pressure is supposed to be lower at this velocity which pleases me and as the gun is 67 years old it's happy, too. I used to use it for 100 grain Speer plinkers but I sold my stache of those off when I started using cast big time. It's actually quite a useful propellant, not only for the winchester but for many 30 sized milsurp guns using cast.
I think I only have half a bottle left so shortly I'll have to spend a bit time working up a new load using Lovex D063 which is a virtual RL7 substitute or D037.2 which is slightly slower than 2400 or branch out into S040 or D060 as my stock of 2400 is down to a couple of bottles.
I'm moving over to Lovex propellants as they are significantly less expensive than the American competition and, probably more importantly, more available.
If you shoot cast then Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article is a good read and for 30/30 The Frugal Outdoorsman gives plenty info. All to be taken lightly salinated.
Good to know, thanks 👍

You can still get RL 7 in the uk . I use it in my .444m it is reach compliant 👍
I find it easier to get than Lovex powder not sure on price though as I have a couple of tubs sitting.

The way US powder prices are going a pound of US is almost on parity with a Kg of Lovex, I like Lovex and it gets the job done for me with the powders I currently use. As I move toward my 9th decade I find that I shoot a lot less than I load and I load a lot less than I bs about it. I don't think I'm unusual though.
Asa matter of interest the government are really concerned about the cost, to me, of reloading. I've just had a letter from the dept of pensions telling me that from my 80th birthday my pension will be increased by, wait for it, 25p per week, god I better not hold my breath.

The way US powder prices are going a pound of US is almost on parity with a Kg of Lovex, I like Lovex and it gets the job done for me with the powders I currently use. As I move toward my 9th decade I find that I shoot a lot less than I load and I load a lot less than I bs about it. I don't think I'm unusual though.
Asa matter of interest the government are really concerned about the cost, to me, of reloading. I've just had a letter from the dept of pensions telling me that from my 80th birthday my pension will be increased by, wait for it, 25p per week, god I better not hold my breath.
I'd be tempted to tell them where to shove it!

Here are a few pics of the renovations we did back in the 90s
Here are a few pics of the renovations back in 2001 that I was part of before I left the UK.

Attachments

• Range.JPG
    Range.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Roof.JPG
    Roof.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
I think the range may have changed as there were significant issues with the ventilation system.

If shooting prone was still de rigeur, they'd lose more than 75% of their current membership overnight unless bath hoists were provided over the shooting stations.
Life moves on.

If shooting prone was still de rigeur, they'd lose more than 75% of their current membership overnight unless bath hoists were provided over the shooting stations.
Life moves on.
We all did, I went to Germany, Chris & Barbara Moody (Chris is second from the left) went over to Austria a few older ones died I went back twice to say hello but nobody seemed interested. Ron Handley the club chairman died in 2010ish and he was always pumping his own money in to keep the club alive.
I Just saw that the clubs web site has been revitalised. They have found some old newspaper articles, on this picture I am the bearded terrorist on the far right, next to me are the two daughters of my partner then my black haired SWMBO this was taken back in 1981 (where did all my hair go?).
1712226265260.png

Back