Life terms?

finnbear270

Seems I am an old, no, very old man ...... I reckon I have lived through four life jail sentences 13 years recommended! Whole thing is fu""in pear shaped!

Pedro

The way it works is that for murder, the only sentence a judge is allowed to give is life. But he also gives a minimum term that should be served, be that 13 years, 30 years or a whole life term. After the minimum term is served, the prisoner is then eligible for parole (not after half his sentence, like other prison terms). He might not get it, or he might not get it for the first time of asking, depending on whether he is, amongst other considerations, a danger to the public. Once he is released, he will be on licence for the rest of his life. When you are on licence, if you commit any further offences you can be recalled to prison on the original life sentence, as well as whatever he may get for the new offences. If you are sentenced to a full life term, then you will in all likelihood die in prison. Although the Home Secretary can alter that. But that rarely happens.

So, in some ways, a life sentence is with you for the rest of your life. But quite often, I find that the recommended minimum terms to be served initially are too short.

The problem in my view is that with the cuts to the police, closing of many courts and related services, the proper sentencing for smaller crimes doesn't happen. Go shoplifting, for example and unless you are stupid enough to keep getting caught, you'll never see the inside of a prison. So the bold shoplifter moves onto more serious crimes because there's no deterrent. For burglars, there's the three strike rule. You can get caught three times before you get any time inside. How many houses can you break into before you are caught three times? Easy money!

EMcC

That means if I got life, regardless of the shortened term normally served, I would certainly die in prison :(
The Bible says man's life span is three score and ten, well I've had that, and some, so 'Not long now' springs to mind ;)

Just had a thought, perhaps that is why I keep getting Funeral plans popping up on my PC and the kids buy me whiskey and chocolate for my birthdays and high days :confused:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Some time ago I read that on average the actual term served in prison for a life sentence was only 7 years. Can any body confirm this is true or is it only another "fact" dreamt up by the newspapers.

EMcC

Some time ago I read that on average the actual term served in prison for a life sentence was only 7 years. Can any body confirm this is true or is it only another "fact" dreamt up by the newspapers.
From what I have read, I was of the opinion that Life was on average 12 years. It's a pity Life didn't get based on the Three Score and Ten for some of the scum that gets about these days, or better still any life sentence to be commuted to Hanging !!