lighest "deer" .243 round?

Double four

My other half almost exclusively uses 70grain Noslers in his 243.
He has never had any problems even with chest shots on large red stags.

The instructor on my DSC1 also uses 70grain in his 243.

I was told never to use varmint ballistic tips on deer, but i have used my fox load 75 grn vmax on 8 roe 2 close neck shots the others in the engine room.
Never had a runner all dropped dead on the spot , some damage to the ribs but i dont sell any so i can put up with it.
i wouldnt like to think i was using them on anything bigger though bought a .308 for that. DF

sparko

For the uneducated..........
England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.
For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
Northern Ireland

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.
For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.
It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.
For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.
To ensure safe and humane shooting, stalkers must practise and maintain their skill with the rifle and must check at regular intervals that their rifle is still zeroed correctly - i.e. that the bullet is striking a selected point of aim at a chosen range.
The rifle must ALWAYS be test-fired, and the zero verified or corrected, after a knock or other impact, or after any unaccountably wild shot. No one should continue stalking in such a case, until this zeroing (or sighting-in) has been done.

There you go then, everything explained...This to me adds creedence to the need for training / education as In Dmq qualifications rather than picking up Information from the pub or the Internet...IMO...;)

JabaliHunter

I would seriously suggest that you give up using those BT's. If they perform as you say at 80m and fail to produce an exit wound what are they going to fail to do at 160m.
Ironically they may perform better at 160m than at 80m because the velocity will have dropped off and the bullets may open more slowly

fibrewad

I use both 85grn gamekings and 87grn (3100fps) vmax on roe and fallow in the .243 and 125grn nosler ballistic tips at 3150fps in the .308,the gamekings are a stunning round on deer but found if you push the speed on them to much they tend to explode in the chest cavity with no exit wound but heart and lungs completely smashed to bits where as the .308 with the noslers pole axe them on the spot with rapid exspantion and a nice 1inch max exit wound most of my shots range from 100yrds to 250yrds,even pickup a nosler bt a couple of foot away from the last fallow buck shot showing really nice mushrooming

Cris

I have used both the Fed 80 and 100grn for deer as yourightly say on the box the data shows the 80 a better performer. Not sure inreality that I have ever noticed a difference except my Styer Pro HunterMountain groups a bit better with the 80grn. That said I use the 100grn asstandard so covers all requirements.

I have also shot a muntjac at 20m and had the round fail to exit. It was a Winchester100grn soft point and it effectively exploded internally. Entry was spot on theheart but the entire body was a complete mess and no exit. Never usedWinchester again.

splash

I have a .243 that I only use for Muntjack (when Fallow are off the menu, so not tempted to use on fallow) I have tried loads of bullet weights. But found 80 grn and below are too explosive as they are varmint bullets.

The best 'Deer' bullet I have tried in my rifle is Sierra 85 grn Gameking. Accurate and retains enough bullet weight to pass through Muntjack as I like a blood trail in case of a runner !

jimsim

I use a .243 for fox muntie roe and fallow , iv found that homeloaded 80 grain nosler are excellent for fox / muntie and roe not pushing them to quick , iv culled alot of fallow in the past in park and found the 80 s very good for head shooting as I can trust my load and they perform well on head and neck shots , I used to use the sierra 85 grain hpbt but wasnt overly impressed. Im now using nosler 95 g bt and these are real good to, good on chest shots shot placement is also vital to any bullet !

diverdave

I only shoot roe and reds, so cannot help with muntjac, but have found that ballistic tips work well at some ranges, but not at others. Having worked through basically everything my local shops can offer i have settled on simple soft point game kings, and they work for me from 30 - 200 meters expanding well and exciting everytime but for one or two large hinds. I use 100gn in the 243 as i need the weight for reds when a hind shows unexpectedly, and i have no complaints.

I am using the same in the 3006 but in 165 gn. I may go heavier on advice of friends but it seems to work well on stags to date. To be honest my favourites of all time was the nosler partitions but i had trouble getting them and now have a large stock of the game kings, and the difference is minimal in my experience.

tackb

When I used 243 I used the 70g nosler ballistic tip and it dropped everything I shot from munti's to reds , I personally thought the 80g version was better though but it became very hard to get hold of.

i wouldn't worry too much , just get the bullet in the right place, oh and don't expect 55g BT to perform like a 100g sp.

brunel-999

70 g is legal in England on Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only (50 g minimum for these).

For fallow and Reds in England 100 g is the minimum.

That is what I remember from DSC-1.

It is quite disturbing to see how many people are claiming to shoot large deer with small, non-legal bullets.

I shoot roe and fallow with 129 g Nosler tip at 2690 fps measured.

Last edited:

Uncle Norm

70 g is legal in England on Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only (50 g minimum for these).

For fallow and Reds in England 100 g is the minimum.

That is what I remember from DSC-1.

I think you may be getting the Scottish and English legislation mixed. It is so easy to do so.
In England and Wales, the minimum for Muntjac and Chinese is .220 calibre, 50 grain bullet and 1,000 ft. lbs muzzle energy. That recipe equates to the .222 Remington. For all other species the minimum is .240 calibre and 1,700 ft. lbs of muzzle energy. No bullet weight is mentioned.
I use a 85 grain bullet at 3,100 fps in my .243 which easily meets the 1,700 ft.lbs muzzle energy requirement. Hope this helps.

09mutley05

Uncle Norm,

which 85grain bullets are you using? Anyone tried 85 grain interbonds?

Atb Matt Happy new year
I think you may be getting the Scottish and English legislation mixed. It is so easy to do so.
In England and Wales, the minimum for Muntjac and Chinese is .220 calibre, 50 grain bullet and 1,000 ft. lbs muzzle energy. That recipe equates to the .222 Remington. For all other species the minimum is .240 calibre and 1,700 ft. lbs of muzzle energy. No bullet weight is mentioned.
I use a 85 grain bullet at 3,100 fps in my .243 which easily meets the 1,700 ft.lbs muzzle energy requirement. Hope this helps.

Uncle Norm

Uncle Norm,

Atb Matt Happy new year

Matt. I use Speer 85 grain soft point boat tail bullets. They are very effective, consistent and not too expensive. I mainly use them for Muntjac and Roe. However I have shot some Fallow with them and three large Red but at close range.
Whilst they will kill the larger species effectively with a well-placed shot, I think it would be better to use a heavier bullet as they leave little or no margin for error.
I normally use a 30-06 with 165 grain Speer spbt for the larger species.

Dawnraider

I know this has been done to death before but if your looking for 85gn bullet for deer you wont do much better than sierra 85gn HPBT,hornady 87gn HPBT are supposed to be as good also but not tried those myself.

splash

Uncle Norm,

There is no such thing anymore ! They are classed by hornaday as Varmint explosive, and don't have the canular that interbonds had.
Got better groups and better weight retention with Sierra 85 grn spbt game king

Last edited: