Lighter bullets.

basil

Distinguished Member
Which generally gives a tighter grouping, lighter or heavier bullets?
Or are there other depending factors?
basil.

devilishdave

From my experiance at 100m with my .243 th light rounds have given me the best accuracy but I beleive long range the heavier rounds should be less efected by external factors.

I guess it has a lot to do with your twist rate and how well your load suits your rifle.

Dave

lwcdart

bullets

Basil

I shoot heavy bullets in my 243 Ackley Improved, using 105grn Rn Speer Hotcore I am shooting thumbnail groups, with a rem 700 & a 1/8 twist shillen heavy barrel, I take deer daily with that rifle out to 220m & they pretty much mostly drop on the spot, although I know alot of people shoot much lighter bullets in the 243.

Be it wright or wrong the 105grns speer RN's work for me-its just a shame that they stopped making them anymore.

I picked up a Sako 75 in 30/06 std of the shelf factory job as a new estate rifle last week & she was shooting inch groups straight away with rem 150 grn serocco factory which I was very pleased with

Regs Lee

243varmint

Was out this morning for a stalk and then a bit on the paper afterwards.
Had some Remington Core loc ultra bonded in 100gr and what I normally use 95gr Accutip. Accutips where shooting an inch high at 100m in a three quarter inch group ( eventually ). the 100grs are shooting a slightly larger group but still a small enough group.
So I now feel like I have found a fox round and a deer round.

Jonathon

devilishdave

Re: bullets

lwcdart said:
Basil

I shoot heavy bullets in my 243 Ackley Improved, using 105grn Rn Speer Hotcore I am shooting thumbnail groups, with a rem 700 & a 1/8 twist shillen heavy barrel, I take deer daily with that rifle out to 220m & they pretty much mostly drop on the spot, although I know alot of people shoot much lighter bullets in the 243.

Be it wright or wrong the 105grns speer RN's work for me-its just a shame that they stopped making them anymore.

I picked up a Sako 75 in 30/06 std of the shelf factory job as a new estate rifle last week & she was shooting inch groups straight away with rem 150 grn serocco factory which I was very pleased with

Regs Lee
Lee I have my rifle in to get a border .243 AI barrel with a 1 in 8 twist; I would be interested to hear what loads you are using and what performance you are getting.

Dave

lwcdart

light bullets

Dave

I had both of my remingtons put together by Steve Kershaw, he does a great job & is very good on cost, the 243 AI is my day to day rifle & with a 1/8 twish it is fine to stabilize the 105gr rn.

I think a lower twist rate would not do the job with a heavy round in 243, it shot fine with std win when I was fireforming for AI cases also.

I think the load I use is 44grns of R19 & much like any 243 they cause alot of carcas damage if you hit a blade bone on the way through.

Hope you get on fine with yours when it is back.

Regs Lee