Lightning kills 323 reindeer

Still not convinced, we slept in an Ally caravan this weekend in the forest, had an almighty lightning storm over five hours in duration, not seen anything to indicate the mass eradication pictured in the vid link.

Several thousand reported as dying in Siberia due to an outbreak of anthrax caused by the thawing of 75 year old carcass because of extremely warm conditions this year.

What's the weather been like in Norway this summer?

Not seen a report of what the plan is yet - move or leave them. Very unusual event!

finnbear Could be a local hunter has tooled himself up with a Death-Ray or fixed a chain gun to his quad. But my money's on lightning.

Not that unusual to find odd dead sheep/cattle near to hill fences in this country where lightening has struck the fence further up.

If the deer were huddled together in a hollow to shelter from storm can see how it would be possible, althou still a freak occurance

It might depend how accessable they are. I'd imagine may be fairy inaccessable to have numbers like that, guessing far north into wilderness.
Prob be a heli job to remove them so depend if they're willing to pay for it+ dealing/rendering the carcass's after wards.

Last edited:
I have seen this happen to cattle here in Montana. It's almost a given when a storm passes there is going to be at least one or two that gets hit. Flopped on their side with all four legs straight out is a sure sign of a strike, sometimes a hole burned in them from a direct hit. Saw one years ago on my sisters ranch that was dead on his feet, young bull standing in front of the gate and wouldn't move when I drove up. As I walked up I could start to smell the decay and then saw the hole in the middle of his back.

Not that unusual to find odd dead sheep/cattle near to hill fences in this country where lightening has struck the fence further up..

I saw this several years ago, when six Friesians had taken shelter under a large oak during a storm, always stayed with me quite upsetting to see.

Not seen a report of what the plan is yet - move or leave them. Very unusual event!

finnbear Could be a local hunter has tooled himself up with a Death-Ray or fixed a chain gun to his quad. But my money's on lightning.

I read that the plan was to test a sample number of them for CWD but otherwise they would be left in place. The predators must think Xmas has come early. Been pretty showery/ thundery all summer here.

When I lived in Brazil two football teams in a town near me were nearly all killed by a single strike - the rest of the players were in a bad way also. It can & does happen. Mind you the lightning in the tropics is something special - more powerful than I've seen elewhere!

Ian

I read that the plan was to test a sample number of them for CWD but otherwise they would be left in place. The predators must think Xmas has come early. Been pretty showery/ thundery all summer here.

Get your foxing hut up there smartish. Enough bait to last all winter.

Back