Lightweight stalking scope

big ears

As the title says I'm after a lightweight scope, mainly for woodland stalking but will on the odd trip be out on the hills out to 300yards. I have a S&B 2.5-10x56 and am very happy with it but was looking at at 42-44mm lenses to keep the weight down. Not too bothered if it's illuminated or not.

my eye has been caught by the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 compact but have no experience of these. My other thought was a fixed focus 6x42.

any help gratefully recieved.

BE

takbok

Last edited:

Monkey Spanker

I've probably got the ideal solution for you which I'm just about to put up for sale!
It's a Swarovski 8x50 Kurz (Short) with a No.4 reticule.
Like this one, but with a 50mm objective:
https://www.melbournegun.co.uk/product/swarovski-l-kurz-8x56-scope-reticle-4a-2nd-hand/
You may find a 6x42 slightly lacking out to 300 yards?
Macleods of Tain have one for £575.
Mine is pretty much mint condition with covers and boxed.
Yours for £450 posted.
I've had it on a 7x08mm light Steyr Scout which it was perfect for, but I really need an illuminated ret for last light woodland fallow.
Let me know if interested?
MS

McKenzie

Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 (non-illuminated) & as I have one I'm planning on selling I've dropped you a p.m.

I also use a 6x42 & I'd have thought that 300 yards was stretching it a bit unless you were shooting elk.

Last edited:

Heym SR20

The little 3-9x36 Zeiss was a lovely little scope. Swarovski z3 in the same dimensions is also very nice and will do pretty much all you need.

Bigboab29

Ive got a swaro z6 2.5-15x44 on my lightweight rifle and I love it. Great scope and picked it up for a bargain price second hand as well

jthyttin

If you choose Swaro Z3, there's not much weight/size penalty going to bigger models:

- 3-9x36, 308mm long, weight 340g
- 3-10x42, 312mm long, weight 360g
- 4-12x50, 350mm long, weight 410g

The little 3-9x36 Zeiss was a lovely little scope. Swarovski z3 in the same dimensions is also very nice and will do pretty much all you need
What he says. I two of the Zeiss...one a late "Made in Germany" and i tried the Swarovski at the 2015 or 2016 Shooting Show. The only fault? It's onlin in their 4A reticule in Europe and not a "duplex" style which I prefer. But other than that it's a cracking piece of kit.